RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a 1986 Range Rover Classic, Automatic, and have recently run into issues with either the sensor in the T-Bar not registering it is in park (so i cant start the car) or wiring problems to the starter motor. The RAC bloke suggested easy fix for this is just to rig up a start button, i was wondering if anyone has done this before and if they could help walk me through it? I've got the button, a 5 pin relay and all the cable i need.

Note: The key and barrel is still fine and i was hoping to eventually fix the original issue, this is just to stick a plaster on the problem :)

Cheers

Stu

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Are you flippin serious? <RANT ON> So you would prefer to hack up your rig instead of doing a proper fix? Have you even looked at the shift cable to verify proper alignment? Have you even given a thought to replacing the neutral safety switch if it has indeed failed? Thank goodness you are down under as I sure as hell wouldn;t want to purchase anything you had "fixed". <RANT OFF> :lol:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
By the way, if you are going to do a bodge job, you don;t need the relay. Your ignition switch already goes through a relay to activate the starter solinoid. Your push button would simply replace the ignition switch as the trigger.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
There are very good and obvious reasons why the system will not allow you to start the engine in anything other than 'Park' or 'Neutral'. Attempting to bypass this risks that happening, even if you only originally 'meant' it to be in (or for) 'Park'. Unfortunately there are a number of instances of generally older folks who end up going over cliffs in summer time, this is i'm sure related to automatics, i can only think that would become even worse were it not for a number of similar safety features, 'brake applied' to move out of 'Park' being another.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts