RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of upgrading the subwoofer, so I decided to take a look.
I think this is going to work out nicely, i'm pretty excited. The factory sub
is really cheap, it is a paper cone and the voice coil is totally exposed on
the back. Its a very shallow depth sub. Although, the good thing is that
the actual metal tailgate is the enclosure, so its solid and no air leaks.
I've found the PERFECT speaker to replace it with. This pioneer shallow-mount sub is the EXACT same deminsions, its like it was designed
to fit this range rover enclosure.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v ... sComponent
In addition to this sub, I'm going to add an Audiocontrol LC6 line converter
to convert the sub speaker line to RCA, then add an amp, probably the JL
audio 250w. Everything will be hidden and look completely OEM.
Also, the liftgate trim has an opening already cut out where the sub is...
so its not buried behind the trim plastic.
Here are some photos, enjoy... I'll keep the project updated on this thread.

[/img]

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
I'll be watching your progress closely. I am sure I am not the only one who thinks the "active subwoofer" in our Sport is almost a joke and cranking it up to the max makes virtually no difference in bass response unless you happen to be a passenger sitting in the trunk with your ear glued to the lower liftgate. But I don't want to start yanking components and/or adding bulky boxes into my trunk, either. Keep us posted.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
Hey Ryan (Mr. Electronics),

By the time you're done with all of these, you'll have a nice Marc Levinson/Macintosh/B&W sound studio/home theater on wheels! :D :D :D

Can you run a simple test on this project?

Can you let us know how the new woofer sounds without first installing the additional amplifier just to see if that by itself makes any noticeable difference?

Thanks!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Just replacing the sub itself is an easy process, you just need to pull that panel off then switch out the facotry sub. Ryan, you should take a pic of the woofer with the panel off. that would be very helpful for those scared to mess with it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PJPR01 said:
Can you let us know how the new woofer sounds without first installing the additional amplifier just to see if that by itself makes any noticeable difference?
Thanks!
Yea, sure. I'll try that out. It will probably sound a little better just cause the pioneer sub is better. The problem is that the Logic7 factory amp only puts out 50 watts to a sub. Running low watts to a more powerful sub is not heathly for the speaker.
jbrac25 said:
Ryan, you should take a pic of the woofer with the panel off. that would be very helpful for those scared to mess with it
I did. They should be showing up in my frist post. Let me know if you guys can't see them. I have a few more pictures of the factory sub if you want to see, just pm me.
As far a just replacing the sub... it is a very specific fit. The mounting depth of the sub has to be 3". The cutout is 9 3/8, the total speaker circumfrence is 11 1/8, and 6 mounting holes. These are the EXACT
specs of the pioneer sub.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok. yea it is my hosting account, the images should be back up in just a minute.
I've ordered the pioneer sub and the audio control LC6.
I'm holding off on the amp for now, I already have a 600watt
rockford amp; so I may just use it.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
are you just replacing parts? You are taking out the sub putting a new on in the same place, then taking out the amp and putting a new one in the same place? That doesn't seem too complicated, if it really helps I would be interested in doing this.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No I'm not doing anything to the factory amp.
I'm cutting the speaker wires to the factory sub (before the liftgate)
and running those into the audiocontrol LC6 level converter, then
RCAs out of the LC6 to ANOTHER amp... then speaker wires from this
new amp to the NEW sub that replaced the factory sub. And PRESTO...
new amplified kick ass subwoofer :D

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Are you installing line converter and amp in the empty "crawlspace" under the trunk floor behind the rear seats? Have you found a power supply for amp and converter over there? Sounds like a great mod, all made possible by that Pioneer subwoofer. You can find the sub for less than 100 bucks and the converter for around 120... But the amp is expensive.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hey Ryan great pics. Now the next one all you need to do is crawl in trunk and get a direct on pic lol :lol:
You may have some room if you remove the panel on the passenger side rear, thats where i put the lc8 when i had it, i think theres a pic somewhere here. They amp may fit in there if its small but i forget. Or you can cut out a section of that styrafoam where the jack goes as long as it has space to cool. For those people who just want to remove and replace the sub its still not gonna sound that great unless you amplify it.
While you have that off some dynamat may be useful on that back panel for better sound and less vibrations from that sub.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
umbertob said:
Are you installing line converter and amp in the empty "crawlspace" under the trunk floor behind the rear seats? Have you found a power supply for amp and converter over there? Sounds like a great mod, all made possible by that Pioneer subwoofer. You can find the sub for less than 100 bucks and the converter for around 120... But the amp is expensive.
Yes I was thinking about installing in that space... not the space under the lid with all the empty slots for stuff, but the one between the rear seats and the floor lid. I haven't looked at the space yet, but was aware that it was there.
I'm running a new power wire from the battery to the amp (you have to). I'll have to find a remote turn on. I haven't gotten that far yet.
I got the Audio Control for $140 (shipping was $22!) and the sub... there is a regular pioneer and a pioneer premier version (not sure of the difference)... I got he Premier sub for $104. Both on ebay.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jbrac25 said:
Hey Ryan great pics. Now the next one all you need to do is crawl in trunk and get a direct on pic lol :lol:
You may have some room if you remove the panel on the passenger side rear, thats where i put the lc8 when i had it, i think theres a pic somewhere here. They amp may fit in there if its small but i forget. Or you can cut out a section of that styrafoam where the jack goes as long as it has space to cool. For those people who just want to remove and replace the sub its still not gonna sound that great unless you amplify it.
While you have that off some dynamat may be useful on that back panel for better sound and less vibrations from that sub.
:D you should have seen me trying to take these pics. I was in my garage (obviously) so I was duking under the liftgate and looking up but couldn't get it all in the frame. Yea I saw the pics of your LC8... looked like it was mounted in the spot where the RSE goes... here it is as a matter of fact:

I doubt I put it there... for one my RSE module is mounted there, plus if I need to adjust it any then I'd have to take that whole panel off. I'll need somewhat easy access to both the amp and LC8. I'm planning on actually filling all those Styrofoam slots with the actual things that are suppose to fit there, so I don't want to take that space up with an amp.
I will definately add some dynamat in the enclosure, outside the enclosure, and maybe on the back of the trim piece, maybe that will help keep a solid sound. I'm ready to get started on this... I still need to go get some power wire, ground wire, speaker wire, fuse block and connector.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts