Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The one thing I could not stand about my 2015 RR Sport was the lack of CarPlay and the antiquated infotainment. After a bit of research, I ended up buying this unit from Unique Auto. The unit replaces the useless factory navigation, you simply tap the nav button to access CarPlay. It's so easy to use, with no boot-up lag, and I can use the factory satellite radio while I am using CarPlay. All other functions pop up over the CarPlay screen when needed.

For those with a 2014-2015 sport, I also replaced the temp controls with a new unit from the 2016-2017 sport that allows you to push in to control heated/cooled seat functions. It was a plug-and-play swap, with no modifications at all.

Here is a link to where I bought the product from -> Unique Auto Carplay

The unit allows for wireless operation, but if you want to plug your phone in for 'wired' use, you need to connect it to the USB input that goes directly into the main unit which is installed under the glove box. My installer and I came up with the idea to route the cables under the center console into a USB+Aux extension combo where the cigarette lighter is. $10 part on amazon.

You need to plug the audio into the AUX port so a short aux-jumper did the trick here.

Here are a few pics of how it looks. Let me know if you guys have any questions on the operation as I know I must have asked everyone my share!

Waze in action:

If anyone is in the tri-state area I used Dave at Audioworks in Milford CT. for the install, pleasure to deal with, and very reasonable rates!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nice! What was the part number for the new AC controls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016.5 L405 HSE & 2020.5 L663 P400HSE
1,088 Posts
You might regret loosing the factory Navigation if you ever get stuck in an area with no data/cellular signal. The factory Navigation is not great compared to Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze but it will work when you can't use the CarPlay navigation apps. I'm speaking from experience...it's very important to keep the factory navigation. My advise would be to get yourself a foldable road atlas if you're depending on the CarPlay Navigation apps. I got lost up in the mountains with no cellular signal but the factory navigation helped me find my way thanks to the GPS antenna on the roof.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sygic works with downloaded, offline maps, and works great with Android Auto, reliable when no internet connection. However, not sure about CarPlay.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016.5 L405 HSE & 2020.5 L663 P400HSE
1,088 Posts
Sygic works with downloaded, offline maps, and works great with Android Auto, reliable when no internet connection. However, not sure about CarPlay.

That might be okay but let's just be realistic...not everyone will think to download an offline map before they get caught in an area with no cellular signal.

·
Registered
48 Posts
As I travel a lot in Europe, I have always Netherlands, Belgium, France, Spain, Germany (13 areas), Austria downloaded on my phone - for just in case as You describe it.
As US is divided in states maps in Sygic I assume you should download 3-5 states to cover most of the usual routes.
As for me this is a good and reliable replacement of the built-in navigation.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might regret loosing the factory Navigation if you ever get stuck in an area with no data/cellular signal. The factory Navigation is not great compared to Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze but it will work when you can't use the CarPlay navigation apps. I'm speaking from experience...it's very important to keep the factory navigation. My advise would be to get yourself a foldable road atlas if you're depending on the CarPlay Navigation apps. I got lost up in the mountains with no cellular signal but the factory navigation helped me find my way thanks to the GPS antenna on the roof.
That does make sense Ray! 😉

1 - 8 of 8 Posts