RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed tow harness, shots w/ boat. Also new OE black RR Lic. frame design!

So I bit the bullet and bought the insanely expensive trailer harness kit and the receiver. Harness kit took about 2 hours, and removing the spare wasn't required as the instructions mentioned. Unfortunately it replaces the original tail light harness / grommet which has my 15w resistor that I installed for the '10+ tail lights, had to move it to the new harness.

The truck sits perfect as would be expected. I need to flip the ball on the tow bar though, since the hitch point is much lower than the Disco. I'm very happy though, it drives like a caddy compared to the disco ;)

Also when I swung by the dealer, I asked again (as I always do) about black lic plate frames. Before they were out, then I was told they ditched the old design and replaced it with ONE nice chrome design which I bought (but was way too bling) - so I asked again and he found the new design in black BUT it said "land rover" instead of range rover, he dug a little deeper and found the same frame with the "range rover" writing and the land rover oval (black / silver, not green! so hot) they look totally amazing. I'll snap some images and the part number later.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
255 Posts
Re: Installed tow harness, shots w/ boat. Also new OE black RR Lic. frame design!

Just picked up that OEM kit for 51 dollars......

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
72 Posts
Re: Installed tow harness, shots w/ boat. Also new OE black RR Lic. frame design!

car looks beautiful in the pics. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks guys - and Golfer, how? Used / friend or something? I paid $139 which is pretty **** cheap, list is almost $200 (though they're on ebay for $150)

That hitch is another story though - don't know of any way to get around the insane price of that thing.

Does anyone know what the "trailer installed" option is in test book? Mine is set to no (unless it automatically changes once the harness is installed) however all the trailer lights work, as does the blinking trailer indicator light on the dash when you signal. Actually it probably has to do with the brake controller wiring harness under the footwell area?

·
Registered
3 Posts

I love the tinted windows!

·
Registered
255 Posts

Ebay........you need to search more, all these parts can be had for cheaper........luckily I have the trailer hitch on my LR3 already to transfer but you can find it on the internet for wholesale costs or below....

[URL]http://www.ebay.com/itm/330662733820?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

[/URL]
(the key to ebay is to find things with bad ending times, and 6pm on new years eve is one of the worst with no reserve and this guy sells a ton of only Land Rover OEM equipment on ebay)

·
Registered
255 Posts

Btw if the lights light up on the trailer and the turn signal shows the little trailer thing then you are good to go!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Btw if the lights light up on the trailer and the turn signal shows the little trailer thing then you are good to go!!
Yeah it's just bugging me what else can be configured, but like I said I think it has something to do with the 4-pin brake controller harness in the front maybe? Possibly reconfigures the ABS or something - I know the shift programs are supposedly modified with a trailer attached (as per manual I believe) which is cool - I loved the Ford TorqueShift transmissions!

Good find on ebay! I did search for quite some time (and trust me I'm no stranger to ebay deals!) but couldn't find the right part number, and most weren't auction-style anyways, just BIN @ $150 or so. I found a few LR3 etc.

Oh well at least I'm ready for some warm weather! What hitch do you use? That one was just for testing and I think it's a 2" drop but it looks like I'll need a 0" drop. I'm trying to find a nice aluminum one but they only come in 2". I suppose I could flip the ball to the other side.

Thinking of getting this one - a little overkill but that's how I like it with trailer stuff!
http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Softride/SR26039.html

·
Registered
255 Posts

With my bass boat trailer I use a 2" inch up hitch, with it at 0 the trailer wasn't perfectly straight, plus I used the OEM trailer hitch pieces.

Yeah it's just bugging me what else can be configured, but like I said I think it has something to do with the 4-pin brake controller harness in the front maybe? Possibly reconfigures the ABS or something - I know the shift programs are supposedly modified with a trailer attached (as per manual I believe) which is cool - I loved the Ford TorqueShift transmissions!

Good find on ebay! I did search for quite some time (and trust me I'm no stranger to ebay deals!) but couldn't find the right part number, and most weren't auction-style anyways, just BIN @ $150 or so. I found a few LR3 etc.

Oh well at least I'm ready for some warm weather! What hitch do you use? That one was just for testing and I think it's a 2" drop but it looks like I'll need a 0" drop. I'm trying to find a nice aluminum one but they only come in 2". I suppose I could flip the ball to the other side.

Thinking of getting this one - a little overkill but that's how I like it with trailer stuff!
http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Softride/SR26039.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts