RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MY 2010 RRS has a recurring issue where when applying brakes; the steering wheel shimmy's from side to side under normal braking. LR service has replaced the rotors and pads twice and the problem recurs. Even though my RRS is still under warrantee, I decided to try something different. Last evening I installed slotted, dimpled rotors from Brake Performance and Disc Italia Titanium Fibre reinforced pads (that look to be identical to the factory pads without the markings) from BrakeWorld. Once installed, I did the break in procedure (45mph to 5mph 10-20 times then cool for several hours). The rotors were still hard enough to fry an egg on them 45 minutes after cooling.

So far, so good - I'll update as the miles and usage increase. The pictures of the process are attached in reverse order of the process.

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yes, looks backwards to me as well. The slotted rotors on my m5 are directional as well.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm thinking of doing this, too.

My brakes are warped after 3400 miles of EASY stop and go braking...ridiculous if you ask me. Compared to our 20,000 dollar 9000 mile Hyundai driven by my 18 year old daughter, the RR brakes are plain sad. Yes I realize the RR weighs 2x as much, but shouldn't the brakes match the vehicle? Brakes on that car are solid and no hint of warping, vibration, etc.

Anyways..RANT OFF.

Can you tell me how the rotors feel and sound? I had a set of slotted and drilled on my Cobra, and they were a bit noisy, with some vibration just when coming to a stop.

·
Banned
531 Posts
You guys have better eyes than me if you can tell if those vanes are straight or not (or just a better computer monitor) :grin:.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/how_to_properly_install_rotors.htm
this is the one in particular that made me question the direction of the rotors:

it appears the vanes (not the slots) are backwards but it could be misleading since it is not a detailed photo...

as of late some manufacturers do not have directional rotors and call them 'harmonic balancing rotors' one creates a positive noice the other a negative and it lowers brake noise (in theory) but i call it cost cutting. you cant always go by direction of vanes either.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm thinking of doing this, too.

My brakes are warped after 3400 miles of EASY stop and go braking...ridiculous if you ask me. Compared to our 20,000 dollar 9000 mile Hyundai driven by my 18 year old daughter, the RR brakes are plain sad. Yes I realize the RR weighs 2x as much, but shouldn't the brakes match the vehicle? Brakes on that car are solid and no hint of warping, vibration, etc.

Anyways..RANT OFF.

Can you tell me how the rotors feel and sound? I had a set of slotted and drilled on my Cobra, and they were a bit noisy, with some vibration just when coming to a stop.
So far - no negatives. They were "rough" during break-in but are just about perfect now. However, each time I got new brakes from LR, they worked good for 5K miles so I'll update accordingly.

Your frustration is why I did what I did cause I felt I needed a different approach to the issue.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have 43,000 miles on my original rotors, second set of pads, and I drive the Blueridge parkway at least once a month. Lots of winding mountain roads, and I'm not easy on the brakes at times.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts