RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
None of the dashlights worked on my recently acquired P38. I purchased a "new" one from a salvage yard along with the instrument cluster. Now all my dash lights work but she won't start. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Troy

·
Registered
640 Posts
I think your "New" Becm will need to be Re-Progammed to match your Truck's Immobiliser/Alarm System etc.

Cheers

·
Registered
93 Posts
tdreesman said:
None of the dashlights worked on my recently acquired P38. I purchased a "new" one from a salvage yard along with the instrument cluster. Now all my dash lights work but she won't start. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Troy
Troy,
The "new" BeCM needs to be programmed to your vehicle. It does not recognize your ECM/PCM. ibis1 ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. Thanks for all the input everyone. I was hoping to avoid a trip to independent mechanic (100mi each way plus a trailer rental). When I have a complete parts vehicle 15min. away.

·
Registered
640 Posts
tdreesman said:
I was hoping to avoid a trip to independent mechanic (100mi each way plus a trailer rental).
Not sure about this but if you have both your old and new Becm is it not possible just to send them to Someone to have the Infomation transfered from one to the other.

As I say i'm not certain but I'm sure someone on the site will be able to say for certain and also where best to send them. Would be much cheaper than draging the whole truck for a couple of hundred miles.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
If you have a complete parts car with keys etc,all you need to do to complete the job is swop over the engine ecu to make it run.The new becm will not send the right coded signal to your existing engine ecu.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ECU - that's kind of what I was thinking. Get what makes up the "brains" and the rest report back to "it". I just didn't know how many components this consisted of. Almost grabbed the ECU when I was there too - Now I'll have to wait until Monday. I already read about the workaround for the key fob elsewhere on this site. Thanks!

·
Registered
820 Posts
To swap everything might work as long as the vehicle is identical. You can't swap a gems with a bosch motronic or diesel.

Also there's a risk of the gems becm link failing which would results in the need of diagnostics.

Patience is a virtue owning these vehicles & there's no such quick fix method.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
36 Posts
By the way, looking for a replacement BeCM I realized that the original BeCM in my rig (98 MY) has a part No. AMR 5628 but a possible replacement is YWC 112210, which belongs to a 2001 MY P38. Can these two parts be used indistinctly? How about just swapping the power board and using the original logic board to avoid reprogramming, etc.?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jchabol said:
By the way, looking for a replacement BeCM I realized that the original BeCM in my rig (98 MY) has a part No. AMR 5628 but a possible replacement is YWC 112210, which belongs to a 2001 MY P38. Can these two parts be used indistinctly? How about just swapping the power board and using the original logic board to avoid reprogramming, etc.?
Good question. I just bought the ECU that matches the BeCM and Instrument panel I purchased earlier. I also purchased another complete functioning/running P38. So now I have 2 vehicles and an "extra" set of electrics. I'm going to start swapping tomorrow and will post the results.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

There are two main different BECM versions with several updates along the way which translates into many different part numbers. The two main different versions have different main processors and power boards. The later unit also has some bus comunication with some of the ecu's.

As far as I know it is possible to use the later type of BECM in the earlier cars, but there is the need to set the engine management settings to GEMS instead of Bosh in the BECM settings. I also was informed that the later type of BECM is a better unit that has a lower failure record then the earlier type. This might be related to the age factor.

Best regards

Jos

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She's up and running with all dash instruments working and no fault codes! I installed the instrument cluster, BeCM & ECU from the same '97 into my '95. I used the key fob programming from elsewhere on this site. My mileage is different now but on vehicles in Colorado over a certain age it's not recorded anyway.

I love my new ride! :dance:

·
Registered
14 Posts
tdreesman said:
She's up and running with all dash instruments working and no fault codes! I installed the instrument cluster, BeCM & ECU from the same '97 into my '95. I used the key fob programming from elsewhere on this site. My mileage is different now but on vehicles in Colorado over a certain age it's not recorded anyway.

I love my new ride! :dance:
That is awesome man, thank you for posting that. I too own a 95' and have quit a few electrical issues that I am currently trying to work out. So you just swapped the BECM and ECU from the 97 to the 95 and nothing else?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And instrument cluster (speedo, tach etc..) before that I was getting a "mileage discrepancy" error in the information display. What worked for me may not work for you but I had nothing to lose and a parts car close by.

Good Luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tdreesman said:
And instrument cluster (speedo, tach etc..) before that I was getting a "mileage discrepancy" error in the information display. What worked for me may not work for you but I had nothing to lose and a parts car close by.

Good Luck! :thumb:
BTW that was after going through the FAQ's checking the battery, alternator, grounds & voltage drops "finally" determining it was hopefully the BeCM.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
36 Posts
Good information, thanks. I went ahead yesterday and swapped the power boards from a newer BeCM to my failed unit. The power board looked identical to the naked eye and all internal connections (to the logic board )matched perfectly so I decided to swap them. I reinstalled the hybrid unit and voila! the P38A came back to life with the instrument cluster working perfectly and only the usual warnings about windows and sun roof not set. After setting the memory for windows and sun roof everything worked, included the rear wiper that had stopped working. The only exception were the rear door locks, which stopped working when the BeCM went down but didn't revive with the repaired box. Any ideas why?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts