RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, I have RR 4.4 L322 2003 and I am in process of changing water pump, thermostat, both belts and harmonic balancer. The thing is that when I tried to undo one of 8 bolts which hold it on the hub I moved the balancer back and forth a bit as I couldn't undo the bolt. After researching I found out that I should secure the Jesus bolt with long ratchet and secure it against something strong and then unscrew bolts. Succes. However now I have a big dilemma.
When I install my new balancer the OT mark doesn't line up with OT on engine, it is about 2 cm after the mark. I located the new balancer on the dowel pin as I should. Does it have to be lined up before I put my belts on? Are these marks needed to be in one line everytime before you start engine? If someone could shed some light on it please. Thanks

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
May not have a clear pic. of what you are asking. The balancer is keyed to the crank. So only one spot it can go. Possible that the the outer ring of balancer could rotate against its hub. I think I have read that but not 100% sure. That will have nothing to do with existing timing as timing is all internal. In theory if one was using a strobe timing lite things might appear differently than they actually are and if engine was opened the cam position would be different than mark indicates but engine would still be in proper time. If balancer is located by a dowel to the hub then the timing mark should be correct. Only way to change timing is for the timing chain to slip and that does not make sense based on removing a bolt. If you slid the old balancer on the mark should be in the same spot as the new one when aligned on the dowel, otherwise the old balancer slipped? Is that the reason you are changing it due to possible belt squeal from a slipping balancer- happened on our old 92 trooper 3.2 engine. The external belts have nothing to do with engine timing as they only turn accessories but do not time the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, thanks for reply. To be more clear the reason I am changing the balancer is that it is chipped on side and was chewing the belt off.
I am not interfering with any timing at all. I just wanted to know if I actually messed up anything when I moved balancer back and forth a bit when I was trying to unscrew the bolt or not. I am only DYI mechanic and I am learning every day. Thanks

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Sounds like you should be good to go. Let us know how it goes and welcome to the site.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts