RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how to tell if my cam followers need to be replaced. Visually, I'm not seeing any odd wear on the contact surfaces and the cam looks to be in good shape. The engine was replaced in the past so I have no idea how many original miles are on it.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Please add your Rover year, model and engine in your signature. Also add a location to your profile.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Wondering how to tell if my cam followers need to be replaced. Visually, I'm not seeing any odd wear on the contact surfaces and the cam looks to be in good shape. The engine was replaced in the past so I have no idea how many original miles are on it.

Thanks.
This all under the motto: "if it ain't broke it needs more fixing"?

Cam and followers are arguably a known wear issue especially if lack of oil changes, but cam and follower are also know to mate for life. So other than inspect the cam and follower surface for wear (see various pictures available online) if they are good best to just leave it be.

Regular oil changes are crucial to a long engine life. There are all these stories about zinc content in modern oils being less causing accelerated wear due to earlier depletion of zinc, which (even it was true) can be resolved by more frequent oil changes. Realistically how many miles will you drive in what is now an old vehicle. On my classics I regularly change oil at 1000 miles intervals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts