RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a factory 2013 RRS Limited Edition. I purchased it with 12k miles from a LR dealer. After 10k miles, I went in for an oil change and checkup, and the dealer pointed out that the inside of both my front tires and the inside of my left rear tire are very worn and the tires need to be replaced! I don't drive like a 16yr old nor do I drive very fast, so I am surprised to need new tires so quickly. They are the black rims as seen in this picture (that looks exactly like mine actually):
http://photos.ecarlist.com/K9/0N/Yb/Fv/gj/r1/fG/61/tX/2t/UA_640.jpg

Is this wear normal? I feel like the dealer probably missed something when they took it as a trade-in, my last set of tires (non-RR) lasted 80k miles so I am shocked to say the least. The dealership offered me 25% off replacement tires and gave me 2 options (factory vs Toyo). I said I'd think about it for now. I don't want to have to get new tires every 20k miles, I don't have non-factory rims or anything.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
It's not surprising. Sports eat tires like a fat kid at a candy store. If you can snap a pic of tread to show it's probably just typically worn. If you can get a pic up we can surely chime in if it's an alignment issue or not. Also sports should be aligned yearly or each time tires are replaced.

The consensus of the best all season tire for longevity 45k+ miles is the continental extreme contact DWS. they can be bought at discount tire and tire rack around 265 a tire.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
44 Posts
Normal. I wore out the OEM Continentals in 16K. Admittedly, I only rotated once and they would have lasted longer with additional rotations. With second set (Copper Zeon LTZ) I am on a strict 5K rotation cycle. 10K miles into the new tires and I have little wear and wear is very even.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
It's not surprising. Sports eat tires like a fat kid at a candy store. If you can snap a pic of tread to show it's probably just typically worn. If you can get a pic up we can surely chime in if it's an alignment issue or not. Also sports should be aligned yearly or each time tires are replaced.

The consensus of the best all season tire for longevity 45k+ miles is the continental extreme contact DWS. they can be bought at discount tire and tire rack around 265 a tire.
Ditto, rolling on DWS now for 35K whereas OE Sport Contacts were toast at 25K. Get a good 4 wheel alignment done after you get your new tires. My local LR dealer has no clue how to do alignments. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Ditto, rolling on DWS now for 35K whereas OE Sport Contacts were toast at 25K. Get a good 4 wheel alignment done after you get your new tires. My local LR dealer has no clue how to do alignments. YMMV.
You know, I've wanted to say this for a while. I've run almost 90% of the life of my Coopers with the 2.5" lift kit. Guess what? They are pretty dam even.

My original Contis and 1st set of snows without the lift? Yeah, chewed decently on the inside, nothing crazy, but expected.

I think the stock spec alignment does this. Every performance oriented car I've owned will chew the inside a little faster. Again, YMMV.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Yeah, there is some wear there, but it also looks like the outside is also worn? The middle looks like it has more tread - meaning they were under-inflated. Now that doesn't dismiss the fact that the inside is wearning faster, but I think it compounded the issue.

One tire is fine though?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought the tire pressure sensors would alert me to low pressure?!?  I can check the PSI later tonight.  Short answer: I need new tires regardless, I just wondered if the dealer did a shoddy job when they sold me the car.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Yes, the light will go on, but I think maybe around 30psi. In any event, yes, your wear is a more than "normal", but not terribly bad. It just might have been compounded by lower tire pressures. If you do have more tread in the middle than the both the inside and outside, then they were probably low for a decent period of time.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
436 Posts
Neither does mine! I gave them 2 shots at getting the steering wheel properly centered after an alignment finally gave up and went to a shop that specializes in alignments. Oh, by the way they did it correctly the first time, and the tires wore perfectly.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
436 Posts
I thought the tire pressure sensors would alert me to low pressure?!?  I can check the PSI later tonight.  Short answer: I need new tires regardless, I just wondered if the dealer did a shoddy job when they sold me the car.
I never rely on the TPMS sensors to warn of low pressure un less they are way low. I make it a point at least once a month to physically check the tire pressure. It only takes a few pounds either way to do damage to the tires. The TPMS system is not designed for that.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I never rely on the TPMS sensors to warn of low pressure un less they are way low. I make it a point at least once a month to physically check the tire pressure. It only takes a few pounds either way to do damage to the tires. The TPMS system is not designed for that.
I'll second that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went to a tire shop and asked for those Continental DWS Extreme tires, and they said they have road noise after they start to wear. Has anyone noticed that?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
I went to a tire shop and asked for those Continental DWS Extreme tires, and they said they have road noise after they start to wear. Has anyone noticed that?
No.

By the way...looking at those tires its not abnormal on the RRS but you can get more even wear with a good alignment. Pro tip: a bit too much toe will wear the inside of tires faster than a bit too much negative camber will. Tech needs to watch the toe spec carefully.

By the way, do you really break noses?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had similar, if not worse, wear on my Sport's stock 19" rear tires after less than 12K miles. When tires were new, dealer said an alignment was not necessary. I've been going to a reputable independent RR/Jag shop since. I bought 2 more tires and had them mounted along with a 4 wheel alignment. They also told me that there was a service bulletin to increase the tire pressure to 45 lbs to improve tread wear and prolong tire life. Have any of you heard this? This shop does excellent work...

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
I'm not aware of a 45# TSB, but that does not mean there isn't one. I recall there was some sort of bulletin on uneven wear way back (like early '06's) they called it "bush settle" in which I think they changed the alignment settings. But that was way back and any alignment shop should have the new settings.

I'm running 42# in the rear and have not experienced uneven wear since I stopped letting the dealer align it. But if 45# works for you then I see no harm

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm glad this came up...its like pulling teeth to get my RR dealer to do an alignment. The tech will come to me and say "tire wear is normal" "rotate your tires" "I would wait till next service"..blah blah.

Do I NEED to use the dealer for an alignment, or can any decent alignment shop work on these things?

I usually get one alignment done a year on all my cars, except for this one. What a PITA.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Do I NEED to use the dealer for an alignment, or can any decent alignment shop work on these things?

I usually get one alignment done a year on all my cars, except for this one. What a PITA.
No, yes. Through trial and error I have found a guy near me who does a good job...the steering wheel is straight and the spec print sheet is very close to the center of factory spec tolerances.

You have a Vette? I would find out where your local club guys that track cars go in your area for alignments. Usually those shops have the latest equipment and the techs there do alignments all day. The tech at the dealer may do an alignment occasionally and be fixing leaky sunroofs the other 90% of the time.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
In the far back cubby of dusty bits of info I seem to remember a change in alignment spec being released for this issue at some point. I believe it was something Umberto posted up awhile back and I am not finding it now. Just tossing it out there with hopes our GRAND FIGL DI PUTT will chime in. Don;t get too excited because I am really fuzzy on this one and don't remember the specifics.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts