RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this noise for close to a year, and haven't done anything about it. The only time it appears to diminish is after extensive driving, where everything is very warm. For this reason, I assumed it to be a loose fragment in the catalytic converter/loose bolt/clamp in some exhaust fitting.

I've now thoroughly investigated. I cannot find anything loose in the exhaust system, nor any heat shield. The noise wasn't really high-pitched either, but it is very noticeably loud from both in and out of the vehicle during modest to hard acceleration.

I took a pic of the rear drive shaft, because I see what look like a wear area on the black paint where it might be touching a guard/bracket/dunno above that area. The drive shaft does have play where it appears to enter a boot which is obstructed by that head shield. My sense of the location of the noise jibes with the location of this wear line.

How much play should that drive shaft have? I can 'wiggle' it what feels like about an 1/8", and I can see that rubber coupler/isolation grommet/bearing 'giving' as I do so.

Is the noise I'm hearing evidenced by that light grind mark on the drive shaft?

8A7A0313-DFB5-4DD8-AD63-69B24C476AE2.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
If I'm seeing it right it looks like the e-brake release cable is rubbing the shaft. It is rubber outside but if it made that mark it most likely wore through to the cable inside. See if you can move the cable out of the way and if the noise stops.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I'm seeing it right it looks like the e-brake release cable is rubbing the shaft. It is rubber outside but if it made that mark it most likely wore through to the cable inside. See if you can move the cable out of the way and if the noise stops.
I checked the cable; it's not making contact. What IS, though, is probably the cable bracket.

So my question is: does that coupler/rubber insulated bearing wear out and cause the shaft to be able to bounce around enough during torque to make the noise I'm hearing?

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Yes, I just replaced mine. I put my gopro under the truck and it was clear that rubber had failed. It was almost gone and I had to do a temporary fix until I could get the new shaft on. Yoo can replace just the center bearing but it is involved and my front U joint was spitting grease so I reppaced the whole drive shaft.

Attachments

·
LEGACY VENDOR
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I just replaced mine. I put my gopro under the truck and it was clear that rubber had failed. It was almost gone and I had to do a temporary fix until I could get the new shaft on. Yoo can replace just the center bearing but it is involved and my front U joint was spitting grease so I reppaced the whole drive shaft.
Interesting!

Was yours also hitting the same parking cable bracket?

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts