RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just jacked it up (‘11 SC) and pulled the wheels. Both outer ball joints are perfect. However, looks to be a bit of a “skip” if the wheel is turned slightly and quickly back and forth. The vibration is over 50mph. Also at low speed (less than 25 mph) if you wiggle the wheel back and forth you do get a clunk. Lastly, sometimes going to full lock turning the wheel to the right I get a pretty good clunk.

Recently I did the front control arms and had an alignment done. New tires as well. Hubs are perfect. It needs sway bar bushings- I’ve just been lazy on that one.

I read an old thread from 2012 that said this could be it. How hard is it to get the old ones out? I found a pretty lame video for a ‘06, but there was minimal on how to get the inner one out. Should I just let a shop do it?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
360 Posts
I had it done at a suspension shop on my '06 - about an hour of labor if I recall ...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the good of the collective, I had the inner and outer replaced and still have the vibration. According to Great Basin Rovers (currently close to where we live, and they just started working on more modern machines) they thing it might be the rotors. We are about due again, so I’m going to do that and the sway bar bushings and see if it gets me anywhere.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
120 Posts
1) Replace sway bar bushings and links if that was not done within last 2 years or so.
2) on front lower control arm, have it's rear bushing inspected - they go bad from use, time, element and pretty much is "replace every other year" item, if you're picky to the ride quality/handling. Usually replacing whole LCA just make more sense and for $250 (less if you order from UK) you get both new bushings and lower ball joint, all replaced in 1 hour or so VS just a bushing, you get... well... just that one bushing that cost $50 but will take few/several hours to replace given that it has to be pressed out, new being pressed in. Just get whole LCA and hardware kit if bushing is bad, you will be glad you did.
When I had persistent front end clunking on my previous 2009 RRS SC, I wound up replacing Front Sway bar unit as new LCA, tie rods, bushings, airstruts did not fix the clunking. I mean that car was new to me and had 100K so doing all the work was huge ride quality improvement but clunking went away only after replacing sway bar. We did not have to separate the body from chassis, rather dogged it out from under but it was real PITA.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts