RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be replacing my tie rods...

Inner: MOOG LR-AX-4212 is the same as the genuine land rover part at a fraction of the price.

Outer: MOOG LR-ES-3528 also equivalent to the genuine land rover part but much cheaper.

I'll update this thread later with more details about how the repair went. I'm planning to do all of them because AFAIK they are all still the originals and although only the left inner is bad I don't want to have to take it all apart a second time and get it re-aligned multiple times and these parts are cheap (yes I could get pretty close with the alignment on my own, but I think just I'll pay the tire shop to use the fancy road force laser system once I'm done replacing them all).

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just looked at the parts and the inner rod looks larger than any inner tie rod tool I see at any of the stores around me... so I guess tomorrow I will need to go see if it looks like there would be space for a wrench in there because otherwise I need to hunt for a tool.

Biggest I see comes with a 1 1/2" crow foot, and this beast looks like it is more like 1 5/8" just using a ruler to eyeball it. I guess I'll bring it with me to the store to see if I can find something that fits if I can't get a wrench on it.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just had a look in the daylight, I think there is room to get a wrench on there. I can't see exactly where the flats are under the boot until I take it off, but just holding up the replacement part and lining it up with the one that is on there, they must be far enough out that I'll be able to reach them once it is jacked up and the wheel out of the way.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that was a lot more work than I thought. Getting the old ones off was not easy at all. The bolts on the outers were seized, and although I did manage to get them loose, then the ball joints started spinning... tried using the hex key in the top to hold it from spinning and kept moving the bolt to try to work it loose but eventually the hex stripped out. I ended up having to cut them off.

The inners actually came off pretty easily, I used a large adjustable wrench and just broke them loose and spun them off.

Installing the new parts was easy. I just made sure to measure both sides first to make sure I screwed the new ones on to the same length. I gave it a short test drive and the alignment is not too terrible, but it is pulling just a bit. Too late for the tire shop today unfortunately so that will have to wait, but at least the wheels are nice and tight with no play :)

Don't want to mess up my tires so I'll let it sit until I can take it to get the alignment fixed.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Figured I'd say, I did get the alignment done the next morning and there were no issues, the guy at the tire shop was incredulous when I said I'd replaced the tie rods myself and pretty much said I shouldn't have because after market parts are inferior, blah blah, should only use the LR parts, your car could flip over on the highway, etc, etc.... I tried explaining that the parts I ordered were identical in every way to the originals, but he was not interested. Anyway he did the alignment and agreed that everything actually looked "better than he expected" afterwards. :naughty:

I think he was just mad that he didn't get to charge 3x what I paid to do it myself (and probably use even cheaper parts than what I ordered) it only costs $55 for the alignment.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
184 Posts
Well done Linuxfreakus! You've given confidence to other members, and also thanks for the parts numbers.

Please report in 20000 miles!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never updated after 20k miles... I eventually sold my '04 but the tie rods did great for many miles. Just looked up this thread because I knew I'd already looked up the parts previously and figured it would be quicker to find it again here... its time to do this on my '07 now. I was putting on new wheels and noticed I'm starting to get just a little bit of play on one side...

I don't expect that it should be any different than it was for the '04 but I'll put info in this thread if I run into anything.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Figured I would update: I replaced my tie rods on the '07 this past weekend the MOOG which I mentioned above were out of stock so I ended up getting these instead:

Inner: Febest 2922-RRIII
Outer: Febest 2921-RRIII

They seemed to fit just fine but I wasn't particularly impressed with the weak looking jam nuts that they came with so I cleaned and re-used the old ones. I measured very carefully, and the alignment feels perfect but I will probably still take it to have it checked with the laser system at a shop just in case. The old ones were HORRIBLE, outer ones both had play, and the inners were flopping around and totally limp. I'm glad they are replaced, I can't believe the ride in these rigs is so smooth that you can't even feel when your tie rods are that bad.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Thanks for posting the numbers. I agree that in spite of the design it does seem to take some wear before it actually shows up in the steering wheel. We are enjoying some of your 04 experiences but have also found a few other issues like a dead tranny at 125K, sorted mostly in time for an airspring failure.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
184 Posts
Out of curiosity I was looking in RAVE, but couldn't find anything regarding the inner tie rod.

Linuxfreakus, what's the torque on them? Any special tool needed?

Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts