RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a correct way to insert the injectors and fuel rail.

I never took this part off, as it was already off the vehicle when I purchased it so haven't got anything to reference to.

I have put them on but it just seemed to be quite a feeble way of putting them on so wanted to check if it was right or not.

Basically whilst the plenum chamber was off I placed the fuel rail in place and gently pushed each injector into it's hole, I then tightened the 4 corner bolts down ( I expected there to be a bracket in the middle for the 4 injectors in the middle area but there didn't seem to be any brackets - there were 4 bolts though - 1 of which hold the coolant pipe clip in place.

So is that it? Have I done it right? Should there be any seals etc?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yep thats about right, although there are two more bolts use for the coil pack. Do lube the injector O rings before install, RAVE says to replace all 16 plus fuel reg O ring too.

SID.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep got new O rings, and going to lube with silicone grease.

Just seemed a bit of a weak way of securing them down especially in the middle.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
It may seem odd, but they really are quite secure once properly bolted down.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
sotal said:
Yep got new O rings, and going to lube with silicone grease.

Just seemed a bit of a weak way of securing them down especially in the middle.
The fuel rail is a thick walled bent tube, this design has ben around since at leaat 1983 when Rover inrtoduced EFI onto the SDI range of vehicles, 4 bolts securing the rail is the least of your worries.
Assembly requires a that manifold be attached and torqued in a certain sequence berfore installing injectors.

Do you have the RAVE workshop manual, if not its as bad as trying to repair the EAS sustem without a magnifying glass :doh:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I have RAVE and have printed the relevant sections and put them in a folder so I've got them in the garage.

The manifold was torqued down correctly, I just expected there to be more holding down such an important part!

I managed to get a couple of hours tonight and ended up with it all built up, thought I'd just spin it over on the starter (with spark plugs etc attached)and it started up instantly! Only let it run for a couple of seconds as there is no coolant in yet, but I was very surprised that it started so quickly when the engine has been in bits for over a year!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
sotal said:
Yes I have RAVE

I was very surprised that it started so quickly when the engine has been in bits for over a year!
Good you got RAVE... its the rangie bible to some degree and helps with stupid things like electrical

Rangies start up very quickly generaly so thats a good sign, means your efi system is in order.

Seeing that you been messing about with fuel rail etc make sure you have a good pipe attach to fuel pressure regulator or on idle you are going to chomp through fuel like mad, its the round thingy on the back left (Sitting in car)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It runs!

Had it running for a good while and moved it up and down the drive a few times.

I've now cleared the Suspension fault, and it's all risen, the airbag fault has cleared itself, the abs fault has cleared itself and even the climate control has cleared itself and no longer shows a book symbol.

It smoked a bit to start with with whiteish smoke - I'm hoping that was just water/damp in the exhaust etc.

I'm still not 100% sure on whether I'll get away with the engine or not, I've got my fingers crossed though.

Not all good news though...

I have a slow drip coming from the power steering.
A brake pipe has ruptured when using the brakes causing most of the brake fluid to empty on my drive! (also now got low fluid warning!)
The throttle is a bit sticky - need to clean up the bit where the accelerator cable connects behind the air intake.
I also didn't buy enough Coolant, I only bought 5 litres and it took about 12 so I used water for the rest, so I'm worried about it freezing so will put it back in the garage tonight.

So far I've only tried it on Petrol - not tried the lpg yet. Also not sure if I've plumbed it in the right way round, how do you know which way round to put the coolant pipes to the LPG system?

·
Registered
517 Posts
sotal said:
Also not sure if I've plumbed it in the right way round, how do you know which way round to put the coolant pipes to the LPG system?
Most people T them off the 2 heater hoses just before they go through the bulkhead. It doesn't matter which way round they go, just as long as the vaporiser is below the top level of coolant.
The T pieces in most systems are plastic, but better quality brass ones are available and something I would recommend as the plastic ones have been known to crack and leak.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it's T'd in to the two pipe that go through the bulkhead I just wasn't sure which way round to put them at the LPG end, but if it doesn't matter then I'll leave it the way I've done it.

The T's are plastic and look to be more oval where they have compressed under the clamps, any ideas where the brass ones are available from or what I should be looking for?

Many thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for that will look into that further,

managed to start on the brakes today. Main pipe from rear nearside which runs over the crossmember then all the way to the front, has now been replaced, and we did the two small pipes at the rear, just got the pipe from the rear nearside to front left and then to check the front ones.

Then next on the list after the brakes is:

Replace my temp bodge coolant pipe with correct part as it's started to leak now.
Fit the Fan
Sort the leaking power steering pipe - I'm guessing it's going to need replacing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts