RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my V8 12/5, build date was scheduled for 12/5, delivery scheduled for 3/2. I ended up picking it up 2/21 in Frisco, TX.

Overall initial impressions (keep in mind I am coming from a 2014 HSE):

- Infotainment system is very fast. There is a lot of customization that can be done with the 3 screens, so it's going to take me a while to dial it in to my liking. That being said, I'm please with it so far. I have experienced a couple of glitches, though. The infotainment system locked up and then shut down and relaunched -- all while the car was running. Luckily, I got it on video. Once it restarted, most of my settings were still set. The only ones that were not saved, were the XM Favorites that I had entered a few minutes before the shut down (previously entered Favorites were still saved). Another glitch is when I activate the seat massage, it keeps defaulting to Wave instead of to the setting I choose. Small issue, but it takes two more taps on the screen to get my setting re-entered.

- I have the 22-way massage seats. They are much more plush than what I was used to. I know some of you have a big issue with the looks, and I can understand that, but the functionality of the seats trumps the lack of aesthetics in my situation. The massage functionality is such a huge improvement. 4 different types of massages, and the massage is much stronger then in my 2014. The massage function is also practically silent. The side bolster really locks my upper body in place, but I do wish my butt was held a bit more firmly (I know that sounds odd). One negative on the seats is they don't get as heated or as cooled to the degree of the seats of my 2014, and it takes them longer to heat/cool. One glitch I've had with the seats concerns the massage functionality. One one occasion, it would not work on the passenger seat, and on another occasion the massage didn't work for the driver seat.

- Rear seats are more comfortable than my previous RR's. With my 2014 HSE, the family always opted to take my wife's 2017 Q7 for road trips because her rear seats were more comfortable.

- The cabin is much quieter now, thanks to the thicker glass.

- One item that just about every passenger has commented on is the rear view mirror, stating that it looks pretty slick and substantially smaller than what they are used to in other cars.

- The auto closing of the roof screen became immediately annoying, so I disabled it.

- The Dynamic mode is impressive. I'm finding that I use that mode every time I'm alone in the car.

- I LOVE the V8. It is louder than my 2014 V6 HSE, but it is fast and responds very quickly.

- I do wish the auto lowering and the seat/steering column getting out of the way would take place once I turned the car off instead of when I open my door. I am often already standing on the ground before they have finished their motions.

build options.png
build specs.png
my RR - exterior 1.JPG
my RR - interior 5.JPG
my RR - interior 6.JPG
my RR - interior 10.JPG

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Congrats!! looks great!

When you say auto lowering, are you talking about the seat or the car? It would be odd for the car to start lowering when door opens. Usually manufactures stop the car from lowering if the door is open to avoid hitting any obstacles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats!! looks great!

When you say auto lowering, are you talking about the seat or the car? It would be odd for the car to start lowering when door opens. Usually manufactures stop the car from lowering if the door is open to avoid hitting any obstacles.
Thank you.

For the lowering, I mean the car dropping to Access height. When I turn off the car, it does drop some, but it drops again when I open the door. Both drops appear to be the same distance, but that's just me eyeballing it from inside the car.

I just went out and record a video of it, but the file is too large. If you PM me your phone number, I can message the video to you.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Looking good. I have wait until Friday to pickup mine. I wonder if the new massage hardware reduces the efficiency and strength of the heating and cooling. I didn't get massage so I'm interested to see.

IMG_1817.jpg

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,773 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous. :thumb:

I normally prefer a bit more contrast, but the lighter trim on Aruba is visually very balanced and perfect for the 405. That interior is gorgeous! Another example of how the simpler pattern works well and with no wrinkles or pucker in the leather. There's a very minor wave in the seat belt cup but that it is most likely matching vinyl and the two never fall quite right on a compound curve like that. Give a few weeks to settle in and you will never notice it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also agree the Aruba exterior is gorgeous and well-balanced. I had ordered (and received) Yulong with satin matching trim, and it's just a little too plain. Seems like the design needs a little trim contrast to break up the side, and what you have here looks like just the perfect amount. Subtle.

For my Yulong/satin trim, I may later change out the long trim piece to Atlas. I don't really want the Atlas gills still. But they look great on the Aruba.

I agree with all of jdevon's impressions. Regarding auto-lowering, I'm not so concerned about it because the seats are much easier to get out of (and I'm tall).

I've driven 500 miles by now, and seat comfort (22-way massage) was great. I'm thin, and the seats were a little wide for the bolsters--even after adjusting. But so long as you're not cornering it doesn't affect comfort.

Handling in dynamic mode was noticeably improved. I could use even more, but some things just need to be accepted. I did find curves predictable and tracking on straight roads effortless. The suspension in either comfort or dynamic is wonderful at letting you ignore road bumps of almost all sizes. But for that, I'm comparing to a 2017 RRS.

The new windows must make some serious difference in sound isolation. I had trucks right next to me with surprisingly low noise. When I looked at the window edges, it seemed that the sound deadening layer between the two sheets of glass is thicker--maybe most of the added thickness. That could explain a lot. Or maybe part of what I noticed is the difference between RRS and L405.

One issue I'm grappling with is the use of polarized sunglasses. In the 2017 RRS, everything was OK even though the laser HUD got a little dim from the polarization. But the new L405 LCD-based HUD is almost completely gone without tilting your head. And the lower Duo LCD has strange fringe patterns no matter how you turn your head. The other two LCD's are perfect, so in principle they could make the lower one in the same way. For the HUD, of course all cars have a similar problem partly due to the polarizing effect of reflecting the HUD light off the windshield. But in this case, it's made worse due to the new LCD source for the HUD being adversely polarized itself (I checked it by looking straight down into it). I usually prefer driving with polarized sunglasses in order to avoid glare off other cars' windshield, water, etc. But maybe I'll either need to give up the HUD or else change to non-polarized sunglasses. Yes, I know the manual warns not to use polarized sunglasses. It's just that I got away with it in the RRS.

On the whole though, very pleased with the new truck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The polarization -- yes! The distortion on the lower LCD is there, but I don't often look at the screen after a few initial taps before I take off. The HUD almost disappears, though. Luckily, I only wear my polarized shades when I'm wearing a cap.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is there a setting to tilt the hud display? Used to have to do that on the bmw to be able to see it with sun glasses.
Good idea. You can move it up/down. It doesn't really affect the visibility though; and anyway, I need it all the way down to see the whole thing.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Is there a setting to tilt the hud display? Used to have to do that on the bmw to be able to see it with sun glasses.
Good idea. You can move it up/down. It doesn't really affect the visibility though; and anyway, I need it all the way down to see the whole thing.
Also, you might try a different set of glasses. The orientation of the polarization makes a difference. Ironically, most car makers switched their screens to diagnonal orientation to help with glasses that have vertical or horizontal polarization, then all the glasses makers changed their polarization to diagonal to accommodate the old screens in cars. Now both are typically diagonal causing the screen to be filtered out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts