Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the 6 month wait is finally over. Picked up my 2016 RRS Td6 yesterday.

The build:
- Santorini Black
- 21" style 507 wheels
- Ebony/Ebony/Ebony
- Dark grey oak veneer finisher
- Ebony morzine headlining
- Extended leather pack
- Luxury package
- Convenience package
- Driver tech package
- Extra duty package
- Full-size spare
- InControl Connect
- Adaptive Cruise Control w/ Queue Assist / Emergency braking
- 825w Meridian audio

I drove a 2014 petrol model RRS a couple years ago at the LR driver experience event. The vehicle has definitely changed since then.

We have a 2013 Evoque Dynamic as well so I will be making some comparisons. First off, wow, I can't believe how different these vehicles are, even though they look so similar. Features galore compared to the Evoque. It's a little intimidating at first that there are so many freaking options.

What I like so far:
- Love love the extra height of the vehicle. It's the tallest I've ever owned. You feel like a king on the road, looking over everyone.
- The diesel engine is EXTREMELY quiet. Took a motorhead friend for a drive; didn't believe me that it was a diesel. Has a lovely exhaust grumble when you floor it.
- When I got in, I had a range of 920kms. Regardless of the cost of fuel (diesel is currently cheaper than regular), it's nice to not have to fill the thing up twice as much as the Evoque (400-450km range.)
- The birds-eye camera view
- The fact that it doesn't have flappy paddles. In the Evoque, I would often accidentally hit those stupid things when doing a hand over hand turn.
- Sirius Radio
- Tested the lane departure warning, works, steered me back into the lane.

What I'm getting used to:
- The start/stop system is going to take some getting used to. Every time I get back in the vehicle and drive it again, I forget about the start/stop system, and when the engine shuts off at the first light, I always think something is wrong and the engine died.
- My phone has to go in the hidden spot under the climate controls and I keep forgetting it there. The Evoque has this little holder to the left of the cup holders that's exactly the size of an iPhone 6.
- The air suspension is quite odd when you park the vehicle, if you leave your foot on the brake it starts making a creaking noise as it lowers in to access height. You have to immediately take your foot off the brake to avoid the creaking noise.

Some first world problems to whine about:

- The gear shifter. I'm not really sure why they didn't use the awesome pop-up cylinder gear shifter that's found in the Evoque and other Jags.
- The door handle locking system does not work as well as the Evoque for some reason. It also has a really loud click locking and unlocking sound in comparison.
- The steering wheel leather quality is worse than the Evoque for some reason.
- The heads-up display is not level. It's off by like half a degree or something, but my OCD is going wild. Will ask dealer about it.
- The insurance was $1,500 more a year than the Evoque for some reason. As in 70% higher than the Evoque.
- Definitely need to get mud guards.

I wasn't aware that there was a JLR loyalty program. I got an additional $1500 off from being a repeat customer. They also gave me a free set of locking lug nuts as well as a free set of rubber mats.

Now for some crappy iPhone his and hers pics. (right-click, open image in new tab for larger versions)

At the end of the day, it was well worth the wait. Despite a few complaints, I'm a happy camper!

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Congratulations! Enjoy it :)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Great choice!! Congratulations.

Don't worry, turning off the ECO will become a habit eventually....

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,234 Posts
Looks great! You'll get used to things with time. I've learned to like the start/stop feature, although if I'm running the A/C I do turn it off.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Congrats! Great set, beautifully timed to the release of Star Wars VII ?. Mudguards are a must.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Congratulations. I read this with some interest...
- Tested the lane departure warning, works, steered me back into the lane.
The 2015s don't steer at all as far as I can tell, it just vibrates to alert you. If this is now turned on hopefully they can software update previous year cars. Its not hard to imagine its possible since car already parks itself. On Mercedes 2016s there is a hack to turn it on even though its off in the US. Maybe just do a small amount of this even if not all the way like Tesla would be nice.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Nice review - thanks! On the hockey puck shifter, I think consensus from existing Sport owners is that the Sport line needs a real shifter (I agree, though the new Sport shifter is needlessly complex IMO) as the retractable one suits luxury more than "sport".

·
Banned
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice review - thanks! On the hockey puck shifter, I think consensus from existing Sport owners is that the Sport line needs a real shifter (I agree, though the new Sport shifter is needlessly complex IMO) as the retractable one suits luxury more than "sport".
Ergonomically, the shifter's size and location makes no sense, because it's right in the way of the driver's temperature dial. You can't reach for the dial without going around the shifter. It's like it was designed to use the pop-up cylinder shifter then they changed it later.

On another note, the diesel engine is phenomenal. Incredibly smooth. Driven 180kms so far, fuel economy around 11.5L/100km. Hilariously better than the Evoque that has a 4 cylinder engine and weighs a hell of a lot less!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Glad you're finally enjoying your first drive McRover! One thing about the ECO start/strop is that if you're sensitive on the brake you can control when it turns off (lightly pressed and it will stay running). It takes a bit more mindfulness than I sometimes want, but if I don't disable it I sometimes use it to stop the engine when I know it'll be a longer wait.

And yeah, after trying to stick it out without mud guards for a month of rainy weather, I think it's futile. If you wash it, within 1 block there's a splatter of dirt everywhere on the back.

·
Banned
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wouldn't be a Land Rover without some electronic quirks.

Right after the dealer called me for follow-up....I go start the vehicle to leave and get a suspension fault. Turned it off/on again and it was fine.

After getting to my destination, I put it in park (usually just the engine shuts off at this point) but the entire vehicle turned off instead. Thought that was weird. Didn't happen when I arrived home again.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Did you also unbuckle your seat belt? I hated that "feature" on my loaner Evoque I had a while back, every time I would get ready to parallel park and unbuckle my seat belt to turn around and look prior to backing up, the whole vehicle would helpfully shut off.

·
Banned
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you also unbuckle your seat belt? I hated that "feature" on my loaner Evoque I had a while back, every time I would get ready to parallel park and unbuckle my seat belt to turn around and look prior to backing up, the whole vehicle would helpfully shut off.
No, I pressed P then started reaching to push the stop button, but all screens and everything had immediately shut off after putting it in park.

·
Registered
22 Posts
No, I pressed P then started reaching to push the stop button, but all screens and everything had immediately shut off after putting it in park.

My 2016 RRS SC Dynanic does this exact thing. Is it tied to the Auto Stop feature? Also, long term is the Auto Stop feature good for the starter?

·
Banned
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
233 Posts
3 times in a row now....she's going in tomorrow to get checked out.
Let us know what they find. I had the same on my brand new MY16 RR. That one has an auto access height mode. When I disabled it, the suspension fault did not return.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts