RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Guess I should read the manual :-/

TRAILER TURN SIGNALS (GREEN)Illuminates as a bulb check, whenthe ignition is switched on andextinguishes when the engine isstarted.If a trailer is attached, the warning lamp willflash in conjunction with the turn signal warninglamp. If the lamp fails to flash, the turn signalindicator bulb on the trailer may be faulty.Note: If the attached and connected trailer isfitted with LED lights, the bulb check may notbe performed.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hmmm, seeing that we can tow 7700 lbs, it must mean our cars can control that with no brakes or dealer just forgot to warn me on that. But since the tow package doesn't come with a controller... it must mean we can probably do without? I will tow a small trailer at most. No intention of towing anything big.
I thought the cars came with a brake controller of some sorts?
but it seems from this thread it does not?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I don't know since I have never towed a trailer. What my assumption is after reading this is that your car will only brake itself and not the trailer, unless you install a brake controller that operates brakes on the trailer. I could be wrong but plan to verify with LR what am supposed to do in the likely event I ever need to tow some heavy trailer. My hitch is mostly for bikes and maybe a small trailer

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you are just pulling an occasional trailer I don't think you need to worry about the brake controller. Many Uhaul trailers have hydraulic brakes that are actuated by the hitch connection. Call Uhaul and ask them what you need for the specific trailer you plan to rent.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I don't know since I have never towed a trailer. What my assumption is after reading this is that your car will only brake itself and not the trailer, unless you install a brake controller that operates brakes on the trailer. I could be wrong but plan to verify with LR what am supposed to do in the likely event I ever need to tow some heavy trailer. My hitch is mostly for bikes and maybe a small trailer
That is correct' vaser. With no brake controller, there will be no braking action to the trailer. This needs to be added. I think the max for trailering without trailer brakes is 1500lbs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just fitted my P3 brake controller plus an Anderson plug and battery isolator for charging an auxiliary battery in the caravan. Also wired in a heavier 12 volt supply to run the caravan fridge whilst on the move.
TO make sure every thing works as it should with a trailer fitted with LED lights I also wired in an LED load module. This provides the correct load for the RRS to detect when the caravan/trailer is hitched up.
Just a couple of photos with RHS rear panel removed.

image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just fitted my P3 brake controller plus an Anderson plug and battery isolator for charging an auxiliary battery in the caravan. Also wired in a heavier 12 volt supply to run the caravan fridge whilst on the move.
TO make sure every thing works as it should with a trailer fitted with LED lights I also wired in an LED load module. This provides the correct load for the RRS to detect when the caravan/trailer is hitched up.
Just a couple of photos with RHS rear panel removed.

View attachment 148274 View attachment 148282
Would you share some details on the LED load module you used? My RRS doesn't detect my trailer at all. Park sensors stay active, tow assist doesn't work, etc. I tried some various German SUV trailer adaptors and none did the trick. Does your green trailer icon light up on the dash now with your LED trailer lights?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Would you share some details on the LED load module you used? My RRS doesn't detect my trailer at all. Park sensors stay active, tow assist doesn't work, etc. I tried some various German SUV trailer adaptors and none did the trick. Does your green trailer icon light up on the dash now with your LED trailer lights?
My Featherlite has all led lights and the stock Range Rover setup has no problems recognizing it or operating it. Are you sure you double checked the wiring as diagramed on the previous posts?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hey we've got the same trailer. My lights work fine, brake controller does it's job and trailer brakes work, but the green light on the dash doesn't light up and none of the advanced RR towing functions like disabling the park sensors or tow assist with the backing up lines works. Do those work for you?

I have dealer installed tow electronics, bar etc and a prodigy brake controller

IMG_4817.jpg

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hey we've got the same trailer. My lights work fine, brake controller does it's job and trailer brakes work, but the green light on the dash doesn't light up and none of the advanced RR towing functions like disabling the park sensors or tow assist with the backing up lines works. Do those work for you?

I have dealer installed tow electronics, bar etc and a prodigy brake controller

View attachment 152545
Nice trailer! I have a Z06 (2016) also. Yours looks nice. I have a 2014 RRS and I don't know if that year has all the tow indicator stuff that you mentioned. I definitely have no tow icon on the dash but the RRS tows great and gets me to the track and stops when I get there. I also have the progeny brake controller.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Mine tows well also, I just want the fancy backup system in the truck to work as well as the safety features like anti-sway, auto disable backup sensors, etc.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Valuable brake controller information

Just wanted to say thank you to 383Vett for providing the wiring diagram.

Picked up my RV yesterday and my Prodigy P2 did not work in my 2016 RRS (with the same plug used in my 2012 RRS). I moved the P2 from my old car to the new car and assumed it would work the same, nope! Land Rover has utilized the same plug (Ford) but has changed all the locations of the wires in the newer Range Rovers. LR dealer was unable to provide any info so a quick search here and I found 383vett's post and wiring diagram which saved the day. And if you weren't sure how to change the wires around in the plug he provided pictures of that as well

Shout out and thank you and another example of how this forum is great.

I know I'm brining back this old post but I also wanted to confirm to others this works on 2016 models.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The dealer installed the RR tow package on my 2016 diesel. I tow a boat that is about 6,500 pounds. It has hydraulic surge breaks so it doesn't need the brake controller.

My question is that I also don't have any thing that seems to auto detect a trailer. I have to manually disable the parking sensors. That's not a big deal to me. But I do wonder if their are any other features that might not be working, primarily whether it should be changing the shifting points in the transmission while towing. My Denali had this when using the towing mode. Anyone have any information on this? I don't have the vision assist so I don't believe any of those camera related features will work on mine anyway but I do want to make sure any another features are working.

It there a way to manually tell the system a trailer is attached?

Thanks

Kris

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm in the same boat, no pun intended. I pull our boat (3000lb ski boat) and parking sensors go crazy, no backup views, etc. Another member in another thread is supposed to post some information on it. Anyone else with backup views and properly working tow mode, please list the service bulletin number for us others who can't get our service advisors to install the right software.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree and thought once plugged in the trailer lights the car was supposed to detect the trailer, I have had no evidence of this.

I did find one thing that helps me hook up to,the trailer (really well in fact). From the home screen, page right to the last page and select camera (this only works from this screen), then select settings, and lastly select the trailer icon vs the road icon. This now give you a line on which to line up the trailer, as you get close to the trailer it will auto zoom in so you can be precise the last few feet. It's very helpful. Only issue is it doesn't auto turn itself off. If you now go into to reverse, it will still show you this trailer view. You have to go back into the settings and change it into the Road view.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree and thought once plugged in the trailer lights the car was supposed to detect the trailer, I have had no evidence of this.

I did find one thing that helps me hook up to,the trailer (really well in fact). From the home screen, page right to the last page and select camera (this only works from this screen), then select settings, and lastly select the trailer icon vs the road icon. This now give you a line on which to line up the trailer, as you get close to the trailer it will auto zoom in so you can be precise the last few feet. It's very helpful. Only issue is it doesn't auto turn itself off. If you now go into to reverse, it will still show you this trailer view. You have to go back into the settings and change it into the Road view.
What MY is your rig? Sounds like a '16 from your description.

·
Registered
270 Posts
There is only one way to make the towing settings work on the rover and when they do, it makes a big difference. The Rover detects a trailer is connected by detecting resistance caused by the trailer lights. Because all modern trailers have led lights, there isn't enough resistance to be detected. I literally tried every device out there to fix this problem including splicing in resistors in my trailer wiring. This is the only device that works: http://www.ledtowconnect.com/p/development-history.html

It enables the real tow menus that you guys want. Things that change once connected:
Backup camera shows path of trailer AND rover
Air suspension adjusts better
Backup sensors are disabled
Flashing trailer icon with turn signal
Transmission shifts MUCH better (single largest improvement I'd say)

I spent hours and hours on fixing this so hopefully I can save you all some time. I've towed 15k+ miles with my 7500lb race trailer and it's a breeze.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
23 Participants
delray
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing