RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I had a few minutes and thought I would connect my Progeny 2 brake controller. I connected the supposedly correct adapter harness to the trailer connector inside the kick panel by the steering wheel. I called Tekonsha last week to verify that the 3035 adapter was the correct one. I connected the other end to my controller. I should have immediately seen a "nc" for no connection on the display. It was dead as a doornail. I unplugged the identical controller from my Denali and it too was dead in the RRS. I plugged the new unit into the Denali and it worked fine. I thought I had a dead trailer harness and tried looking at all the fuses in the passenger glovebox and the rear cargo area. (The manual's chart of the fuses doesn't look anything like the fuse panel by the way. We should get an accurate chart for future use). I made an appointment for this morning with the dealer near my home for to diagnose a dead trailer connector. I decided to test the circuitry this morning before bringing it in. With a voltmeter I was able to get 12 volts in the line that was supposed to activate the trailer brakes. With an ohmmeter and voltmeter, I was able to find the correct wires and moved them to the correct pin location in the adapter harness (after a couple of hours and a broken back. You have to lie upside down on the floor with a voltmeter and press on the brake pedal to figure this out. There are a lot of combinations and permutations). I was lucky the hot did not go to ground and blow a RRS fuse (since the is no fuse chart available) or destroy my new $129 brake controller which would have happened if hot and ground are reversed going to the controller. The RRS trailer connector has 5 wires but only 4 are needed. There is a red retaining tab in the adapter harness that once removed, will allow the terminals to come out with a sharp instrument (it helps to be a dentist). The harness pin locations are correct (I verified that with pictures online. So, either my RRS was wired incorrectly or the new RRS are wired differently from Range Rovers in the past and Tekonsha's adapter infor for the 2014 is wrong. If you are going to connect a Tekonsha brake controller, I would connect the harness and check the blue wire. If this is hot, change the terminals to the following pin locations. Sorry about being so verbose, but I thought this was pretty important. Hopefully you can make sense of the following chart.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is a 2014.5. I called Tekonsha directly and spoke with a manager over there. The 3035 is definitely for a 2014 RRS. They haven't updated their application info yet. You'll have to do a somersault under the dash. The connector is strapped to the brake pedal support on the driver's side. The 3035 plugs in easily. Again, check the wiring.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Curious 383 - where did you end up mounting the brake controller unit? Pictures would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Curious 383 - where did you end up mounting the brake controller unit? Pictures would be greatly appreciated!
Hi Baymar, I mounted it to the right of the steering wheel above the right knee. It's out of the way, but can be seen by the driver and operable. I'm in the office now. I'll try to get a picture later in the day.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks! I have never had a brake controller, but am acquiring a new trailer that has electronic brakes. Why did you choose the Progeny? I believe the place I am purchasing the trailer stocks and installs Draw-Tite controllers - do you have any experience or thoughts about that brand or do you suggest the Progeny 2 is the best application for the RRS?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I've been usng a Progeny 2 for over 12 years in my Denali. I did research at the time and decided on this unit. It was recommended by a number of people. When I purchased the brake controller for my RRS, I was suprised to find that the Progeny 2 is still being manufactured with no changes. Since I am keeping the Denali, I ordered the same unit which has performed flawlessly over the years. Even though it is easy to use, there was no learning curve necessary for my little brain. On the other hand, Drawtite is a good brand. I'm sure it will be fine if you chose that unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Many thanks 383vette. My wiring was exactly the same. I just installed mine using your guide. Simple and easy. I will upload some additional photos for anyone else doing the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is the end of the 3035 wiring harness that plugs into the Rover.
IMG_1041.jpg

Give a push on the side and pop the red plastic piece out.

IMG_1044.jpg

Then pry the taps with something like a knife (sorry vette, I had no dental tools.) And the wire will release.

IMG_1045.jpg

Move the white wire and swap the black and blue as described above.

You are now ready to go. Should take you 10 minutes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To install in the car: You are looking for this plug under the dash.

IMG_1047.jpg

It is just above the brake pedal. To access it, there are 3 x 7mm screws that remove the access panel just above the gas and brake. It is possible to reach your hand behind the brake and plug this in. But, it is hard to find unless you know what you are looking for.

There is an opening just behind the diagnostic port where I ran the pig tail out. When not in use, I tuck it back in there.

FYI, I used this exact same controller in harness in my 07 sport. As vette observed the plug is the same (a Ford component) but the wiring is inverted. So, you are buying a harness for the old models and modify to account for the inverted wiring.

Hope this helps someone else.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just fitted my brake controller and the information listed here was invaluable. I routed the cable to the left side of the foot well near the OBD port there is hole in the panel that the cable can come through. I have not yet mounted the controller, was thinking industrial velcro as I do not want to put holes in the panel. Thank you so much for your help! It pays to search the forum :)

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just fitted my brake controller and the information listed here was invaluable. I routed the cable to the left side of the foot well near the OBD port there is hole in the panel that the cable can come through. I have not yet mounted the controller, was thinking industrial velcro as I do not want to put holes in the panel. Thank you so much for your help! It pays to search the forum :)
Glad it helped. I used Velcro to hold up the controller also. Note to mods; might want to make this thread a sticky.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I think I know my car but every now and then I get so confused by some of these things. I have dumb question. When I got the tow package installed they installed a harness in the back. I was told it controls the lights on the trailer if you hook it up. But they also told me the car controls the trailer when it starts to wiggle and that you don't need anything else to tow a trailer. I looked in the manual because a friend wants to borrow the truck to tow a UHaul and I don't want to chance stupid screw up. It seems to confirm what the dealer said I can just plug a trailer back there and tow. Are you saqying we need this brake controller to tow a trailer?

·
Registered
38 Posts
In Australia it is law that trailers weighing more than 750kilos up to the limit of 3500 kilos
require brakes. In most cases they are electric brakes that require a brake controller to automatically apply the trailer brakes when you use the cars brakes. What you mention is the trailer stability control which if your trailer or caravan starts to sway the car can detect and control buy reducing speed etc. I am sure others can explain things better than me.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Hmmm, seeing that we can tow 7700 lbs, it must mean our cars can control that with no brakes or dealer just forgot to warn me on that. But since the tow package doesn't come with a controller... it must mean we can probably do without? I will tow a small trailer at most. No intention of towing anything big.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I went and hooked up my RRS to my TT for the first time yesterday to head off for a camping weekend! I noticed that the trailer green light only comes on when I use the indicators and it flashes in snych. On my previous RR this light came on when I connected the trailer and stayed on all the time. Is this what others are seeing?

image1.jpg

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
23 Participants
delray
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing