RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
I’m working with my fabricator on a winch mount at the moment but some additional feedback is needed.

If I remember correctly the ARB bumper on the D2 mount onto the crush cans so I should be fine bolting my winch mount on the crush cans? They won’t pull apart or deform with the pull from the winch? To mount straight to the frame I would effectively completely disable the SRS and I would like to keep it functional.

Thank you for the input!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,154 Posts
You won't disable the SRS by mounting to the chassis - in fact the factory P38 winch mount bolts onto the front of the chassis - using the same bolts as the crush cans. (in fact from memory you drill them out and fit come slightly bigger bolts in aswell).

The SRS system works using the sensors either on the chassis, or inside the ECU itself (on the later models) and these sensors will be set off at a certain shock level. If you hit someone/something hard enough to deploy the sensors/air bags, then that shock/deceleration force will still be transferred to the sensor - it would just mean you winch mount would take the brunt of the impact before the bumper/crush can would deform. But the sensor would still trigger and your airbags would still go off as normal.

There's no listed modifications to the SRS system that are required if you mount the factory nudge bar/winch mount etc - so don't see how mounting something different would affect it.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Don't mount a winch on the crush cans, they will deform. Maybe not in a gentle straight pull, but when winching sideways or up/down, they will give in if you try hard enough. I replaced the crush cans with 10mm plate on my winchbumper. Do not underestimate the forces involved!

As said, SRS will work fine without the crush cans. They might deploy sooner because in a moderate impact the crush cans will absorb most of the energy, a winch bumper will transmit the full impact to the chassis, where the SRS sensors are mounted.

Filip

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are going to cut out the bumper between the lines and integrate the winch mount into the bumper similar to the attached photo from the Taco with recovery points. Disadvantage is limited access, the winch I got is fairly large so I may replace it later on with a smaller winch.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
My winch must be bigger than yours, I tried to get my winch reasonably close to the radiator, but my bumper portrudes way more than yours..

Nice job you did!

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
My winch must be bigger than yours, I tried to get my winch reasonably close to the radiator, but my bumper portrudes way more than yours..

Nice job you did!
Mine is PowerWinch 12000 HD, wich is the same size like Warm 9500. I think most of winch in this range are with the same sizes.

When I start to draw the design idea, I use only Chassis picture from RAVE and one 3D model of Warm 9500.

I can post here cad files if you want.

Only need to tweak a little the hook points. After years of use I prefer to move them down (rotate in 90 degrees).

·
Registered
324 Posts
Mine is PowerWinch 12000 HD, wich is the same size like Warm 9500. I think most of winch in this range are with the same sizes.

When I start to draw the design idea, I use only Chassis picture from RAVE and one 3D model of Warm 9500.

Only need to tweak a little the hook points. After years of use I prefer to move them down (rotate in 90 degrees).
Thanks for the offer, but my bumper is finished.

I kept some room between the winch and the radiator, may be that's why my bumper portrudes more than yours..

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I fabricated a removeable winch mounting that bolts to the chassis behind the crush cans. I opened the holes out to 12mm, the same as the factory recommendation.

TWqjI4w.jpg

It is a 10,000 lb winch. Tried a larger 12,000 lb but it will not fit between the bull bar uprights.

i8qXF9k.jpg

I have since changed the receiver mount to the standard 2" x 2". Sorry no pics of this mod yet. It needs a bit of finishing off.

mT4fdqn.jpg

The factory winch cover will fit with this setup, however I had to cut and weld the winch handle.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very productive thread! They are wrapping it up today. This photo is before they added the recovery points that I can attach d-rings too.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
That's pretty low, looks even lower than the front cross member? You might have to carry a shovel so you can dig out the winch when you need it...
Fabrication and fit looks excellent! I wonder why you didn't mount it at the same height as the bumper. That would be a lot stronger as well, pulling directly on the chassis rails.

Filip

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's pretty low, looks even lower than the front cross member? You might have to carry a shovel so you can dig out the winch when you need it...
Fabrication and fit looks excellent! I wonder why you didn't mount it at the same height as the bumper. That would be a lot stronger as well, pulling directly on the chassis rails.

Filip

I put it through it’s paces today including a near vertical hill climb and the winch never really pushed into the dirt. I did it that way to retain the factory look of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Great to see you already put it to use!
If you want to keep the standard bumper/look, this is probably the best way to do it. For me it's always form follows function, so was happy to cut into my bumper.

Greetz,

Filip

·
Registered
14 Posts

Would you mind posting those AutoCAD files? I'd like to make this winch mount, it looks like a great design!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
8 Participants
manta2005
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing