RangeRovers.net Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an inside contact at Land Rover in the UK who tells me that from the 02/06/2008 L/R are going to write to L322 owners to offer a 'reassurance' re-build of the infamous front diff, they have developed a kit which in effect turns the diff into the new type 06 onwards vehicles.

They will be writing to owners to offer this service free of charge which takes 4-5 hours in stages to avoid swamping Land Rover dealerships with the estimate 35000 affected vehicles.

I would suggest that owners make sure that they are registered as current owners with their respective dealers.

Anyway, I thought this info would be useful to you, not so useful to Britpart and Atlantic British who have developed an aftermarket kit!

·
Registered
48 Posts
This news is interesting,

I bought an 04 Vouge last year not from a main dealer, but have had Land Rover Assistance breakdown cover in my name , would this mean my car is registered to me in land rovers eyes?

Am i likely to get one of these letters?

·
Registered
49 Posts
hi all,sfter being into my local range rove dealers in stockport/manchester this morning ,i can confirm that there will be a recall beginning in june for all early make l322 models to have there diff replaced to the newer version currently on the 06 and upwards
the service manager updated his records as me being the new owner of the vogue that i bought and said i would be contacted as soon as the start date is given the green light in june for recall work to begin..
and replaced by range rover as a freebie due to high numbers of a faulty piece of equipment so to speak.
so good news there then....
and this is deffinate as it shown on his computer as happening, and to schedule customers in when and if needed to do the work. :clap: :dance:

·
Registered
190 Posts
my dealer told me you will be lent a RR TDV8 for the day whilst they do the repairs. They will only be able to one a day at my small local dealer so its going to take months/years to do!

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
It's here. I check with my service rep two days ago, and she had a notice that they will be doing a recall to replace part (when they are in stock), starting in about 30 days. Not sure of the order they will be starting (you might think that they would go with the ones that already have had problems) or higher mileage/age...

Mark.

·
FOUNDER
638 Posts
Superb news folks, what a relief!!!

Cheers

John

D

·
0 Posts
I wonder since mine was just done again 3 months ago if I already have these new parts. When someone gets the repair done please do post the part numbers.

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
It's not cofirmed, but the service manager thinks it's a double CV drive shaft, and diff with a different yoak ...And I would guess it's all the BMW powered typs. I'm not sure if the first Jag (Ford) units had the same slip joint as the early MK3s.

Mark.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If this recall is for real, it must be going to cost JLR a bundle. I'm guessing that replacement components and at least half-a-days labour would conservatively cost in excess of $1k (??? - any ideas). Considering a total production of around 115,000 vehicles from 2002-2005, that's at least $150 million.

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
I beleave that it's over 35k units in the USA, and somthing like 6 hours to do the change out. But thats not what the time charge was to replace all of the same componets when doing the old diff/driveline.

Mark.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wolf01 said:
If this recall is for real, it must be going to cost JLR a bundle. I'm guessing that replacement components and at least half-a-days labour would conservatively cost in excess of $1k (??? - any ideas). Considering a total production of around 115,000 vehicles from 2002-2005, that's at least $150 million.
I guess its a combination of Land Rover not wanting any lawsuits due to the diff failure at speed, which it would probably lose due to the well known issues. Also I suspect, in the UK anyway L/R are looking to future sales, they need all they can get as the government seem set on forcing the public onto push bikes or hybrid electric cars!! buts thats another gripe of mine!

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
Here is my new, travel back up system: Hop on the bike, carry skates, when bike gets flat tire, through on skates...Now the only gas the greens have to breath is mine (natrual of course)... :thumb:

Mark.

1 - 20 of 203 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
202 Replies
128 Participants
Bezzy0_0
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing