RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Don't go to Land Rover Encino!!!

I live about midway between Symes LR in Pasadena and LR Encino. I was coming up on a regular service and thought I'd give Encino a try, since I kept hearing how they are the largest dealer in the country on their radio ads.

I went to their web site and posted a request for a service appointment on their web form. Heard nothing for several days. So I called them. Was told that they'd get back to me within 24 hours. Nothing for several more days. Called back asking the receptionist what was the deal on the non-responsiveness. Usual lame excuse about how they're busy .. blah blah...

Finally got a call back from "service" manager Angel Lopez, who gives me attitude about how come I didn't buy it from them but went instead to Thousand Oaks. So I honestly said, "I visited you several times, but you didn't have the model and color I wanted, so I went to the dealer that did have it, and I was told that I could service it anywhere." He says he can take me, but that he won't reimburse for a loaner car. I ask why, and he says that it is not his fault, and that "Land Rover North America only reimburses us for loaner cars on service of cars purchased at this dealership." He also points out that they upgrade this to an LR3 for their customers, and that this is a significant perk.

So I say that I serviced my RRS at Symes before and they gave me a basic Enterprise loaner. He says that they also have Enterprise there, but that again it is LRNA's policy, not his, to reimburse basic loaners only for those vehicles purchased there. I say I can't believe that, and that I'll get back to him.

So I call LRNA, and their customer relations department tells me that Angel Lopez at LR Encino is not exactly accurate. :? It is not LRNA that reimburses the dealers for loaner cars, but it is the roadside assitance program that handles that. Picky picky... Anyway, LRNA leaves loaner car reimbursement to the customer entirely up to the individual dealers. They set their own policies. But that if LR Encino wanted to reimburse me for a loaner, they would in turn be reimbursed by the roadside assitance program. :shock:

So in conclusion, Angel Lopez at LR Encino either 1) lied, or 2) didn't understand the policy. I'll be charitable and hope that #2 was the case. Either way, LR Encino is a major pain in the neck. They were totally non-responsive until I nearly hunted them down. And even then, the experience was very rude and off putting. Even though they will get reimbursed for the loaner, they will still not reimburse me. :x

Hopefully LRNA will take more responsibility for the quality control of its customer service. As a former owner of several Lexus vehicles, perhaps I just got spoiled by things that seemed like the basics. :roll:

·
Registered
699 Posts
When I was looking for my RRS, the salesguy from Encino Rover was cool until I told him that Hornburg had the car I was looking for and I'd buy from Encino if they could get it to me for a lower price. (Their radio ads say that they won't be undersold.) He said he'd get right on it. I never heard back from him and that's why I bought from Hornburg.

On a side note: I also called Land Rover of Ventura, which had only been in business for about a year. I told them that if they'd had a Black RRS with Ivory interior, I would buy it the next day. The sales manager told me that he'd do anything to find the car and win my business and that he'd call me within a few hours whether he'd found the car or not . Needless to say, I never got a call back from him.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Don't go to Land Rover Encino!!! **UPDATE**

After a few more calls with LRNA, apparently my concerns made their way back to LR Encino. I got a call back from Angel Lopez asking if I still wanted to service my vehicle with him. :shock: I told him, "not unless you've changed your policy since the last time we talked." I then told him what LRNA had told me (above). I also told him that I thought it was odd that the "largest dealer in N. America" would choose not to reimburse its service customers. He said that he didn't understand the policy to be that way (confirming #2 above at least), and that he would have his manager call me back.

Later that day, the manager did call me back. She said that LRNA had not given me "complete information". According to her, each dealer receives "credits" from LRNA for loaner cars based on the # of sales from their dealership. So they can reimburse others if they want to, but if every one of the people who bought from them also services through them, then they will run out of credits from LRNA. She said they used to reimburse everyone, but that the bill was just too high, so they stopped doing that.

She also said that she thinks the policy is wrong, and that this is the only dealership she has ever worked for that has a policy like this :!: :shock: Even the American car makers let the service follow the VIN number wherever the customer goes, and they offer free loaners. She said it took a long time and most of the dealerships ganging up on Land Rover just to get them to come this far. “That’s the British for you,” I believe was her exact quote. :?

I told her I still found it off putting that the "largest dealer in the US" wouldn't have as its own policy to provide better service to its customers. Of all the dealers, they should be able to afford it you would think. :roll:

And this still is no excuse for the total non-responsiveness and rudeness, and the lack of anyone apparently monitoring the web site. If the web site had said "call this number for service", that would have been fine. But if you're going to have a web form for people to fill out requesting service appointments, then someone needs to pay attention to it. It shouldn't take 2 weeks and a full APB manhunt just to get a call back. :!:

So in summary, the subject line of this post still stands, as far as I'm concerned. :idea: Symes in Pasadena :idea: has won my business for their quick responsiveness and free loaner cars, even though I didn't buy mine from them. And when it comes time to buy a new car, they will definitely get preference.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Sorry Boaz but the policy works. Its called dealership loyalty. Do you know how many lincoln guys that wish we had that policy. The only thing the manager probably didnt like was the fact that all the credits given the to them wouldnt help all of their customers that bought from them. Thats understandable. it sucs when rover says no to some things but thats what it gives out. But if you dont like our prices at the dealership then oh well. Its called rewarding customer loyalty. It keeps us in business. How do you think dealers along the border feel about customers that go to canada for a cheaper car due to dollar being lower. The dealer that sells that truck for pennies on the dollar can do it by selling everyone else up the river and making money on the sales dept instead of both sales and service. when you lose sales to dealers that undercut everyone its nice to know the customer that travels the distance to go there doesnt get a rental. Remember if you by from them and travel the distance you can always go back to them. Do you think you will get the servicing dealer to take your car back in for a lemon if you didnt buy it from them. Not likely. Its the seling dealer that you have to go back to.

Just ask our resident salesmen here on the boards. They will gladly tell you the policy. Its their livelihood as well.

Trust me salesmen love giving the wonderful news to a customer that bought somewhere else and saved a few bucks that they arent getting a rental. Its the look of shock and disgust that makes their day and the bill for a rental at the end of the day.

by the way the only way we happiliy pay for a rental is if your on a trip and within a certain mileage from your destination and your truck breaks down. We happily give you a rental and in fact even reunite you with the vehicle if we have to. We have on several occasions shipped RR a few hundred miles back to their happy owners after puttin a diff in and gettin the rental back at the same time.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Well that just confirms everything I said about hoping that Land Rover takes some responsibility at a corporate level for the quality control of its customer service. It hasn't hurt Lexus any, that's for sure... It shouldn't hurt the local dealers either.

·
Registered
748 Posts
it does hurt the dealers its more stuff to suck up and work against their profits. trust me its whole nother world on the other side of the desk. The crap we put up with from LR and Jag. Ironically its more british management styles and not american management styles that cause the most stress. but those decisions give us jobs. So you take it with a grain of salt.

as crappy as ford may look in your eyes they were a vast improvement on land rover and jag.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Land Rover of Manhattan, NYC

Sales department: Snobby salesmen with an atitude. Statements in the likes of: "If you want a Land Rover, you will pay MSRP and over MSRP if you really want it", "The color/option combo you want flies off the lot within days, we just sold one for $5K over MSRP", "Land Rover is an exclusive vehicle". Test drives must be scheduled a week in advance and when you show up for an appointment, they pretend they "Dont have you in the computer". After you fight with them, they suddently find you in the computer, but then they tell you the vehicle you came to test drive is "currently unvaillable".

Service department: Clueless technicians (took two attempts to install simple IPOD adapted and its still not working right). They overcharge you for parts and labor as well. The ENTIRE interior of the car was covered with thick layer of black dust when I picked it up from service. As a bonus, my sunglasses were stolen from the car while it was in their service department and they "never saw it".

·
Registered
67 Posts
Excellent Dealer Service Experience

I bought my RRS from Smithtown LR in NY.

The dealer moved to Huntington and combined with Jaguar. I was upset about this because Huntington was much further from me.

Anyway my RRS told me to get service on the odometer so I called and asked for an appointment. I asked if today was possible and they said sure, bring it in!

When I arrived I was greeted at my car by the inspector and guided to the service desk. I nice young lady got me a loaner and said the car should be done today.

I received a loaner within 10 minutes and was on my way. Upon returned later in the day, the car was clean, all my service was done and I was very happy.

I was really surprised they took me on such short notice.

G

·
0 Posts
Tucson Royal Land Rover is the bomb digity :wink: Nothing but great service from them, the only thing they dont do is wipe my a$$.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: Excellent Dealer Service Experience

Periokid said:
I bought my RRS from Smithtown LR in NY.

The dealer moved to Huntington and combined with Jaguar. I was upset about this because Huntington was much further from me.

Anyway my RRS told me to get service on the odometer so I called and asked for an appointment. I asked if today was possible and they said sure, bring it in!

When I arrived I was greeted at my car by the inspector and guided to the service desk. I nice young lady got me a loaner and said the car should be done today.

I received a loaner within 10 minutes and was on my way. Upon returned later in the day, the car was clean, all my service was done and I was very happy.

I was really surprised they took me on such short notice.
Really glad to hear this. I'm likely going to get our 2008 RRS HSE from Land Rover of Huntington.

·
Registered
138 Posts
4 Words..... Cerritos Land Rover Sucks.

I've been waiting 6 months for my spare key and my floor mats. Every time I make a call to Bill, the salesman, I get the same response:"I'll call you right back". Yes, this happens on a daily basis. I should just drive down there, but Bill isn't there on weekends, and during the week, I am just way too busy. It just sucks, I don't even have a spare key or some fricken floor mats. I'm raising hell tomorrow. Vartan, the GM will be hearing from me.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Dallas LR - sucks

Took my RRS in for a service, picked it up the next day. 1/2 the obvious issues were ignored as could not be found.

Worse things is got the vehicle back - was not cleaned, which is not big deal. However a long scratch on the driver door. Service advisor made no apologies - said give him 1/2 hour will be buffed out. Issue was not buffing it out, issue is the car was scratched due to lack of care. On top of that they was a big circular mark on my hood where a soda can was left.

Bottom line - the SA did not give a rats ass, no apologies, just his stuck up attitude - I was in a hurry as I had no time to wait around for them the clean it. They would have done a crappy job cleaning it anyway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Feedback on LR Encino CA

My first experience with LR service and this particular dealership.

About a month ago, my 06 RRS S/C showed a error msg "transmission fault tranction reduced". having owned other luxury brands, MB/BMW/Lexus, I knew this may be the sort of thing that may not be replicated if I decided to take the car to the dealer at a later time.

I immediately detoured towards the dealer as the encino stealership is only about 3miles from my home. Got to the dealer and my SA "George" was helpful, noted the problem, and scheduled an apt.

Forward to 2 weeks later, they claim to be that busy. Bring the car in on tues and George tells me they will need 2 days to fix the problem. not a problem, set me up with a loaner and i will be on my way. At this pt, he goes on to tell me about their "loaner" policy.

1) car must be bought at the encino dealer
2) must be within original warranty period
3) loaner available only to the original owner of the vehicle.

I played dumb as i had read about this bs on the forum and ranted that was the most f*cking lame policy in history. Its almost as if they didn't want your business as they make it such a pain in teh @ss to bring the car in.

Fine, i had them shuttle me home. come back the next day to pick up the car and guess what, the error light turns on again on my way home!!!

The next morning i bring it back and my service advisor says, if you can wait, lets see what the problem is and i will have the service guys rip the car apart the car now to find out the problem. At this pt Im pissed but remain patient/calm and i say fine. waiting is worth it, as i just want the f&cking thing fixed.

3hrs pass and they say they need some motor part and have ordered and will come in the next day.

I tell George i can come back, but the next day i can not leave the car as my wife will be out of town and i have to drive 2 kids around. i can come in the middle of the day but will need to wait on the car. he says fine.

bring the car back. wait 3.5 hrs and the car is ready. guess what, the error comes on again on the way home!!!!! at this point, i want to bring an AK into the service center and shoot everybody! i immediately call George on the cell phone and tell him. he says bring the car back next wed.

Fast forward to Wed. i bring the car in knowing and accepting the fact they will tell me they will keep it again for 2 more days. at this pt, i've pretty much been patient, calm, and understanding. My SA has been accomodating, apolegitic, and genuinely sympathetic. Its not his fault the monkeys in the back can't figure out whats wrong.

I ask to speak with the manager about the whole situation. George immediately tells the manager and he sees me and i see him. he brushes him off and at this point, runs around acting all busy for almost 30mins before finally talking to me.

I tell him the facts. problem after 4 days of being at the dealer is still not fixed. Today and tomorrow will make it 6 days. i've been told about the loaner policy but asked him if he would reconsider making an exception in my case. i think its only fair that i be compensated for time spent and loss and i tell him i dont care about getting a landrover, i just need to have transportation! he goes on about the corporate policy and claims no exceptions can be made and LR makes these rules. I immediately confront him about these lies as i have read here that other dealers .... SYMES will comp loaners...

He knows ive caught him in a lie and says there is nothing i can do.... I write down his name and tell him i will file my compliant with LR. goodbye

Needless to say, when i got home, i called LR north america and filed a formal compliant with their customer relations area detailing the experience and level of customer service I received.

Things i've learned:

1) Encino is the only dealer within the SF valley area. The next closest dealer is in thousand oaks and that is 25+ miles farther NW.

2) They have a monopoly in this area and quite frankly, believe they can get away with poor customer service

3) the facility is honestly too small to service the number of people in this area that drive LRs. Sitting in their POS office for 6+ hrs, overhearing that simple warranty fixes, oil changes, normal service takes 2 days. is f8cking ridiculous.

4) buying a luxury car should be a complete experience, from the initial sale to the overall length of ownership. I may have negative comments on the quality of BMW/MB but the customer service from those dealerships has been a complete godsend compared to my experience with LR.

5) if you are expecting good customer service from encino, you are going to be dissappointed. they will only kiss the @sses of celebrities that bring their cars in.

I will bring my RRS to Symes from now on even though pasadena is 20 miles in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Land Rover Austin

I wanted to reiterate the positive experience I’ve had with Land Rover Austin. I arrived this morning just before 8:00 AM with a bad battery and no appointment. They said no problem replaced the battery and performed the 37K maintenance while I waited. I was back on the road by 10:00 AM same day. I can’t say enough about the quality of service I have received. It is actually better than the BMW of Austin service on my wife’s car.

·
Registered
699 Posts
ratbrain said:
I will bring my RRS to Symes from now on even though pasadena is 20 miles in the opposite direction.
Just curious... did you buy from Symes? What is the reason Encino won't give you a loaner?

There's also Hornburg. Their service department is right off the Cahuenga exit on the 101. Probably just another 10 - 15 minute drive from the Encino dealership. I always get a loaner at Hornburg. (But I did buy there.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Land Rover Encino

Land Rover Encino:

Salemen: David Petrosyan & Johnny Hovanian

I'd been dreaming of getting a RR sport HSE for about two years and I'd occasionally stop by LR Encino to gawk or test drive etc. They ALWAYS treated me with incredible respect, even after I made it clear that I couldn't afford one at the time. It was very atypical for me to be treated that way because almost all of my experience with luxury car dealers has ben bad. I'm young so they immediately write me off and when I'm not expressing immediate interest in purchasing their vehicle that day, I get pushed aside. David took the time, showed me around, told me whenever I was ready call him. He never pressured me once. It was a shocking surprise for me after hearing such horror stories about LR dealers etc. I had a terrible experience a year ago back at the LR in Maryland.

Anyway, about a month ago, I called David to tell him my lease was ending on my car and to just see what they had going. At the time he made me an EXCELLENT lease offer but it was still a little too steep. I called them back, told them what I was able to afford(which I knew they'd laugh me off the phone) and they somehow made it work. Had the exact car I wanted in stock(largest inventory in NA) and I was out within an hour.

The buying process itself couldn't have been better. They walked me through every step, showed me the car, features, etc etc and I walked out feeling like 10 million dollars. It's very rare that you'll get your dream car or achievement and have it be better than you hoped, LR Encino certainly helped with that. The Finance guy wasn't too aggressive and didn't try to sell me all kinds of overpriced garbage i didn't need. He clearly explained some benefits of their wear care and windshield protection, and after going back and forth for a few minutes he was able to throw it in for free!

Anyway, a month later all is great. I've had 2 minor issues with the car that needed super "quick fixes" and they took care of me 100% never had to leave the car, always got a free wash and never waited. Both David and Johnny have called numerous times to check up and make sure I'm cool and enjoying the car. I actually got the $1,500.00 off coupon 3 days AFTER I leased it and was pretty upset about not being able to use it, long story short, after going back and forth they've decided to cut me the check. It wasn't charity cash and it wasn't easy but at least they're doing the right thing. This to me along with the overall experience I've had with them has led me to have nothing but the highest regard for them. It was a pleasure giving my business to them and I hope anyone who reads this will do the same.

I will say this, I have YET to have any REAL service experiences so my conclusions are somewhat premature at this point. I'll keep everyone posted as to what happens.

·
Registered
16 Posts
BigEvil,

im glad you had a positive experience at encino. maybe its the law of averages....

hopefully you never have any problems with your car and won't have to deal with the service department.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I actually am awaiting a replacement center storage box (mine doesn't latch shut) as we speak. They said they'll call when its in, I'll let you know if this experience proves to be as nice as the others, I'll share as soon as I know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
2 Weeks later:
Had to take my RRS in for service, had a number of issues.
-Driver side door handle would stick
-mirrors and seat memory seemed to be not working properly
-center console box didn't latch shut
-seatbelt chime didn't go off

I called, made an appointment which was two days later. Took my car in to a nice service advisor David who went through everything, took my number and offered me a ride home. I had a friend picking me up so it wasn't necessary. He called me a few hours later to let me know they'd be able to fix everything but they'd need the car overnight, he offered to pick me up and put me in a complimentary loaner but I didn't need it so I declined. Next morning, got a call(and an e-mail) saying Car is Ready come and get! I did, all free, fast, easy cake. Also they washed it very well, wiped down the tires, cleaned interior and solved every issue.

As much as I wanted to hate, LR Encino is EXCELLENT.

21 - 40 of 117 Posts