RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hard to believe a little, innocent looking, single filament or blown side / stop bulb in the rear light cluster could cause such havoc with gearbox and engine control modules, but this is a Land Rover, and since a lot of people here have been modifying their clusters with a variety of aftermarket lamps...:

Special Service Message (SSM) # 41116

Models:
LA - Discovery 3
LS - Range Rover Sport

Incorrect or blown stop/side light bulbs causing gearbox faults
Last Modified: 05-MAY-2009 12:13
Category: Electrical
Symptom: 201000 Lighting Systems

Issue: The customer reports engine or gearbox faults after replacement of the stop/side lamp bulbs or the bulb has blown.
Cause: The incorrect bulb has been fitted to the rear lamp stop/side holder. The customer may have fitted a single filament bulb which can be, if forced, inserted in place of a twin filament stop/side lamp bulb. This has been known to cause a number of more significant failures on the vehicle the main one being the gearbox goes into default mode.
Note: If the bulb has a broken stop/side lamp filament this can also give the same symptoms.
Action: To prevent any unnecessary and expensive repair please carry out a visual check of the brake and side lights before carrying out any further work to the engine and gearbox. The part number for the stop/side lamp bulb is XZQ000020
Insert your sarcastic remarks about Land Rover's electronics here:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,459 Posts
Side lamp bulbs, as in the blinkers on the driver and passenger's front door or the blinkers on the rear and front headlights?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I know this is a massive bump but I've just had this. No faults thrown, well ones on dash or ones that show up on a crappy obd tool. but the car now wont shift itself, i need to manually do it. last thing i did was stick in a random light bulb from a petrol station for rear brake light. ive ordered the correct set, am hoping thatll just sort it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Cant seem to edit my original post, but new bulb fixed my issue. turns out it also broke the cruise control which is now back to working fine

·
Registered
2006 Range Rover Sport 2016 Mercedes S550 4MATIC
123 Posts
Is there anything else worse than this in the car?

·
Registered
61 Posts
lol classic British electronics - part of the charm of owning one of these things

1 - 10 of 10 Posts