RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home this evening in my TD6 I got an amber warning light and the error message “No Engine Restarts in 249 miles. Incorrect Diesel Exhaust Fluid Quality Detected.” The vehicle is 18 months old with 14,000 miles. It was serviced at the dealer in January and DEF topped up – reservoir is good for another +/- 5,000 miles. Anyone experience this? The miles counted down on the error message – I am down to 136 miles, which does not leave me a lot of cushion to get to the dealer if the car really won’t start.

I searched around and saw this thread http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/43-range-rover-sport-ii-l494/252361-2016-5tdv6-issues-since-new-2.html
Which seemed to be a similar but not identical issue. Presumably I already got that software update. For what it is worth, I had a check engine light three weeks ago and the sensor was bad – I need to go back to the dealer to get that swapped out anyway as the part had to be shipped across the pond.

Any help much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
How many miles do you get on a full tank of DEF?

If you are in need of extending your miles till you can get to the dealer it might help to put more DEF in. Not saying it would work but it could.

Aside from shelf life and improper storage practices, which is kind of hard to make DEF out of spec I have never heard of this before. And I am not talking in Land Rovers. I am talking industry wide as I have worked with customers that sell and store it.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,672 Posts
I do remember this countdown coming up awhile back in the 405 or 494 sections. The person was still able to drive after the countdown hit zero. The root issue was not improper or expired fluid it was a software glitch that was rectified by a TSB for def fluid metering/dosing.

Sorry I can't be more specific. My memory is a bit vague because it's not something that has popped up very often.

·
Registered
106 Posts
just had mine in for a def fill. Got a low def warning and figured it was just a top it off issue. Dealer said, no it is a software update issue. That may be what is happening to yours

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many miles do you get on a full tank of DEF?

If you are in need of extending your miles till you can get to the dealer it might help to put more DEF in. Not saying it would work but it could.

Aside from shelf life and improper storage practices, which is kind of hard to make DEF out of spec I have never heard of this before. And I am not talking in Land Rovers. I am talking industry wide as I have worked with customers that sell and store it.
Thanks all. I had just short of 10K miles when I had it serviced in January, so I got at least that mileage out of the DEF tank (and had no low DEF warnings before then). I also got all of the software upgrades in January so I fear the prior fix may not help. I will add some DEF if I can't get to the dealer in the next few days.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Curious what the dealer said. Please keep us posted. I had the Q594 software update performed in April on my 2016 TD6, which was supposed to revise DEF consumption parameters. DEF consumption is up a bit, but not significantly. 26.5K miles and counting and no DEF errors or other problems.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vehicle has been in the shop since Saturday. I just realized that there is a word missing from my original post -- I had a bad NOx sensor in May. At that time, dealer also installed the Q594 software update. The dealer has advised that it is a "software issue." They rolled back the updates and reinstalled. Didn't work. They are now waiting for "guidance" from "Land Rover Engineering." I will update with further developments.

On an unrelated note, I am not much of a fan of the brand new Evoque loaner I am driving. However, after a few days with the Meridian sound system in the loaner I almost feel compelled to trade in my standard radio Sport for a new one with a real sound system.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
There is a relatively new (6/26) article (SSM73330) at Topix with this issue description:
Reports of 'No Engine Restarts in XXX miles. 'Incorrect Diesel Exhaust Fluid Quality Detected' warning message displayed on the Instrument Cluster (IC) and Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P2BA9-00 and/or P2BA9-92 stored in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) which may be accompanied by DTCs P2BAE and P2BAF.

And the cause is marked as "
Cause:
Various error states under ongoing investigation."

Looks like a huge effort is going into sorting something out there, so hopefully it will be resolved shortly for you guys.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This has bit me (2016 RRS Td6) twice now since the Q594 update that caused my DEF usage to go up 4X.
In February with 48K on the odometer,a 400 mile one way tow to the nearest dealer and back. It happened again last week with 57.5K on the clock. I was attributing the error cause to be driving in 122+ deg.F heat for 800 miles. The shop was not able to fix the problem and even after hundreds of miles running the reset protocol
, the system did not reset and the dealer sent me on my way to hope I make it to the next dealership. They did get new software the night of the 20th, but that did not help. Vehicle has another 1300 miles on it and still has not reset. See repair order comments attached for more information. It is interesting to note that since I was booted out of the dealership, the miles till DEF service has stayed the same, 5903 miles, which is about what I would get when filled after the Q594 "customer satisfaction program" software update.
20170621 RO Bad DEF.JPG

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dealer ran out of software fixes. Land Rover engineering told them to leak test the exhaust system. Evidently there is a leak in the catalytic converter. New converter being shipped from UK. I am still driving an Evoque. I hope the converter leak was not a contributing cause of the astonishing gas mileage I get.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: Catalytic converter swapped out on Saturday. Did not fix the problem. Dealer is reverting back to Land Rover engineering looking for a suggested next step. To be continued.

Musher -- Any update with your situation? After some more searching, came across this thread. Will send it to the dealer. http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic42554.html

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,119 Posts
Musher is booted for his attitude and some unsavory comments....

Martin

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever get this situation resolved? I had this issue in late 2016. Was solved with the software fix (my car was one of the first to experience it, and we had to wait 1-2 weeks for the government to approve the software patch). Worked fine until my drive to work today Feb 5 2018. The message is back.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,672 Posts
The resolution for this topic was the software fix that you have already received.

Without knowing the actual error code triggering the message there would be no way of pointing you to a sensor issue or module or any other actual cause.

When was the last time you added DEF? Was it a fresh bottle?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was resolved, but not by software. If I recall correctly, there was a second NOx sensor on the other side of the converter that was bad. I do not have the paperwork nearby

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI NYC sport, i have had the same issue for the past 12 months on a 13 mth old car, they keep telling me that its the software - how did you manage to get them to swap the part? has this fixed the issue

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry, have not checked here in a while. The dealer had the car a few times. First changed an NOx sensor, then software updates, did not fix the problem. Land Rover engineering told them to pressure test exhaust, found a leak, replaced the catalytic converter. I drove off, 5 miles away, check engine light (but not DEF warning) came on, went back. Changed a second NOx sensor on the other side of the converter. No issues since last June (although DEF consumption has increased). At the time, this was an 18 month-old 2016.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am having either a similar or the same issue. I have a 2016 RRS TD6 and I am fairly certain the dealer did the software update although I will confirm today when they open. I got the DEF low light about a week ago and just yesterday it went to the “incorrect diesel exhaust fluid quality” message. What is especially odd is that I got a low light less than 1000 miles ago and added on bottle (purchased at the dealership). The message went away for a few weeks until just recently. I went last night and purchased another 2 bottles. After filling up, I did the 3 start/run for 30 seconds/stop procedure as per the manual to reset the counter and this did not work. I will try that again this morning and a couple normal drive cycles as well to see if this goes away although reading this thread makes me think that this will not be the solution.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update: added more DEF and tried resetting without success. I dropped the car off at the dealer to see if I need a software update or something else at this point. I will keep everyone posted if I have a more definitive answer to what seems to be a recurring issue on some of the diesels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2016 had the same issue, at first they thought it was a software update also. They leak tested the system and eventually found it was a bad nox sensor. Took them nearly a month, got to know an evoque really well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts