Range Rovers Forum banner

Incorrect DEF Quality Error

104K views 133 replies 43 participants last post by  LEBoyd 
#1 ·
Driving home this evening in my TD6 I got an amber warning light and the error message “No Engine Restarts in 249 miles. Incorrect Diesel Exhaust Fluid Quality Detected.” The vehicle is 18 months old with 14,000 miles. It was serviced at the dealer in January and DEF topped up – reservoir is good for another +/- 5,000 miles. Anyone experience this? The miles counted down on the error message – I am down to 136 miles, which does not leave me a lot of cushion to get to the dealer if the car really won’t start.

I searched around and saw this thread http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/43...494/252361-2016-5tdv6-issues-since-new-2.html
Which seemed to be a similar but not identical issue. Presumably I already got that software update. For what it is worth, I had a check engine light three weeks ago and the sensor was bad – I need to go back to the dealer to get that swapped out anyway as the part had to be shipped across the pond.

Any help much appreciated.

#2 ·
How many miles do you get on a full tank of DEF?

If you are in need of extending your miles till you can get to the dealer it might help to put more DEF in. Not saying it would work but it could.

Aside from shelf life and improper storage practices, which is kind of hard to make DEF out of spec I have never heard of this before. And I am not talking in Land Rovers. I am talking industry wide as I have worked with customers that sell and store it.

#5 ·
Thanks all. I had just short of 10K miles when I had it serviced in January, so I got at least that mileage out of the DEF tank (and had no low DEF warnings before then). I also got all of the software upgrades in January so I fear the prior fix may not help. I will add some DEF if I can't get to the dealer in the next few days.

#3 ·
I do remember this countdown coming up awhile back in the 405 or 494 sections. The person was still able to drive after the countdown hit zero. The root issue was not improper or expired fluid it was a software glitch that was rectified by a TSB for def fluid metering/dosing.

Sorry I can't be more specific. My memory is a bit vague because it's not something that has popped up very often.

#4 ·
just had mine in for a def fill. Got a low def warning and figured it was just a top it off issue. Dealer said, no it is a software update issue. That may be what is happening to yours

#6 ·
Curious what the dealer said. Please keep us posted. I had the Q594 software update performed in April on my 2016 TD6, which was supposed to revise DEF consumption parameters. DEF consumption is up a bit, but not significantly. 26.5K miles and counting and no DEF errors or other problems.

#7 ·
Vehicle has been in the shop since Saturday. I just realized that there is a word missing from my original post -- I had a bad NOx sensor in May. At that time, dealer also installed the Q594 software update. The dealer has advised that it is a "software issue." They rolled back the updates and reinstalled. Didn't work. They are now waiting for "guidance" from "Land Rover Engineering." I will update with further developments.

On an unrelated note, I am not much of a fan of the brand new Evoque loaner I am driving. However, after a few days with the Meridian sound system in the loaner I almost feel compelled to trade in my standard radio Sport for a new one with a real sound system.

#8 ·
There is a relatively new (6/26) article (SSM73330) at Topix with this issue description:
Reports of 'No Engine Restarts in XXX miles. 'Incorrect Diesel Exhaust Fluid Quality Detected' warning message displayed on the Instrument Cluster (IC) and Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P2BA9-00 and/or P2BA9-92 stored in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) which may be accompanied by DTCs P2BAE and P2BAF.

And the cause is marked as "
Cause:
Various error states under ongoing investigation."

Looks like a huge effort is going into sorting something out there, so hopefully it will be resolved shortly for you guys.

#10 ·
Dealer ran out of software fixes. Land Rover engineering told them to leak test the exhaust system. Evidently there is a leak in the catalytic converter. New converter being shipped from UK. I am still driving an Evoque. I hope the converter leak was not a contributing cause of the astonishing gas mileage I get.

#12 ·
Musher is booted for his attitude and some unsavory comments....

Martin

#13 ·
Did you ever get this situation resolved? I had this issue in late 2016. Was solved with the software fix (my car was one of the first to experience it, and we had to wait 1-2 weeks for the government to approve the software patch). Worked fine until my drive to work today Feb 5 2018. The message is back.

#14 ·
The resolution for this topic was the software fix that you have already received.

Without knowing the actual error code triggering the message there would be no way of pointing you to a sensor issue or module or any other actual cause.

When was the last time you added DEF? Was it a fresh bottle?

#17 ·
Sorry, have not checked here in a while. The dealer had the car a few times. First changed an NOx sensor, then software updates, did not fix the problem. Land Rover engineering told them to pressure test exhaust, found a leak, replaced the catalytic converter. I drove off, 5 miles away, check engine light (but not DEF warning) came on, went back. Changed a second NOx sensor on the other side of the converter. No issues since last June (although DEF consumption has increased). At the time, this was an 18 month-old 2016.

#18 ·
I am having either a similar or the same issue. I have a 2016 RRS TD6 and I am fairly certain the dealer did the software update although I will confirm today when they open. I got the DEF low light about a week ago and just yesterday it went to the “incorrect diesel exhaust fluid quality” message. What is especially odd is that I got a low light less than 1000 miles ago and added on bottle (purchased at the dealership). The message went away for a few weeks until just recently. I went last night and purchased another 2 bottles. After filling up, I did the 3 start/run for 30 seconds/stop procedure as per the manual to reset the counter and this did not work. I will try that again this morning and a couple normal drive cycles as well to see if this goes away although reading this thread makes me think that this will not be the solution.

#19 ·
Update: added more DEF and tried resetting without success. I dropped the car off at the dealer to see if I need a software update or something else at this point. I will keep everyone posted if I have a more definitive answer to what seems to be a recurring issue on some of the diesels.

#21 ·
I received a number of software updates and have not had an issue since although it has been less than a week since I got it back. The SA wasn’t there when I picked it up so I didn’t get an explanation and am only going based on the service paperwork.

#22 ·
Def quality warning light 515 miles before engine disabled, recently re filled with other brand of addblue was told initially by dealer that because i had not used landrover brand the mend would be chargable, after 1 hour of tinkering my range rover v8 vogue was repaired after a software update with no charge.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Def quality warning light 515 miles before engine disabled, recently re filled with other brand of addblue was told initially by dealer that because i had not used landrover brand the mend would be chargable, after 1 hour of tinkering my range rover v8 vogue was repaired after a software update with no charge.
I'm glad they didn't charge you, but don't ever accept that from a dealer - the DEF you get in any auto parts store for $12 per 2.5 gallons is exactly the same as the stuff they pour in for twice that cost. Theirs isn't "special."

AdBlue does need to be stored within a certain temperature range, and if you live in a very hot or humid area, buy the DEF you intend to use right before you use it, and use all the DEF in a container at once or throw any leftovers away. It does age out and can suffer from things like water "contamination" (extra water seeping in) or evaporation, which changes the percentage of urea in the solution.

#25 ·
Hello, has anyone had this error corrected and not reappear after about 3 months? I’ve had this issue “fixed” 5 times within the past 17 months, and each time it would reappear after 2-3 months regardless of the amount miles put on it. I currently have the warning on for the 6th time and my receipt from the previous repair mentions that if it occurs again, my cats/catalyst or something need to be replaced. 2016 FFRR 2016 btw

Also, has anyone tried calling LR’s customer service rather than a dealership?

Thanks!

#26 ·
Hello, has anyone had this error corrected and not reappear after about 3 months? I’ve had this issue “fixed� 5 times within the past 17 months, and each time it would reappear after 2-3 months regardless of the amount miles put on it. I currently have the warning on for the 6th time and my receipt from the previous repair mentions that if it occurs again, my cats/catalyst or something need to be replaced. 2016 FFRR 2016 btw

Also, has anyone tried calling LR’s customer service rather than a dealership?

Thanks!
I had the same issue and it was never resolved. LR bought back my vehicle under our states Lemon Law. They would not let me purchase another TD6.
It took a bit of research and persistence with LR to accomplish but it has worked out in the end.

#28 ·
So here's my experience from downunder :)

I've just started getting the "Incorrect Diesel Exhaust Fluid quality detected" message... Got 585km before it won't restart.

So I took it to the service agent, who, after talking to a Range Rover service agent next door said my DPF is full, won't regenerate, and said I need a new DPF unit, new DEF injectors, programming, and a oil change as oil dilution is 16%.

All for $6500... um, Aussie dollars.

Never have I had a DPF full message or any alerts that it needs a clean, which according to the manual should pop up. I can't help but think they mis-diagnosed and repair cost is a joke.

As well, when the message popped up, I had been driving highway speed for a while, so if the DPF had to autoclean it had ample opportunity.

They also said not to drive the car as it risks not starting at any time and the countdown is not correct.

So I drove off saying I'm getting another opinion :)

Interested to hear if anyone else has had something similar ? Seems its either a sensor or software thing.....

They also refused to reset the countdown.

I'll post up what happens and the fix.

BTW I have a Land Rover Range Rover Evoque TD4 150 SE Auto 4x4 MY16

Been an awesome car up until a few hrs ago... >.>

#29 ·
Ok, I have an update....

Had my DPF unit checked elsewhere and it was fine. Was only 36% full and working ok. I had a clean done and dropped it to 10%, just to make sure.

Then I went to land rover, and after a software update, problem gone. They even added more DEF fluid so it's full, at no charge.

I've driven for a week now, did a nice long trip, and all good :) Actually my fuel usage is better now, by about 10-15% !

So my original (ex) service place is either completely inept or doing a scam. I'll be nice and just assume inept.