RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering upgrading from my 2017 to a 2018+ model, but part of the reason I picked a 2017 when I purchased was to avoid the Touch Pro Duo system since it had a lot of issues at the time.

Curious to know if they've worked out the bugs on the 2018+ RRS infotainment system. Can owners chime in?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a 2020 with version 19C on it. Haven't had too many issues other than it sometimes being a little laggy. No black screens or freezing, etc. Occasionally, i have to re-plug my phone in to get Carplay to work but that could be an issue with the phone or cable itself.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Second that. Since 19B it is ok, apart from laggyness (when entering destinations; if you switch off the online-seach, it is faster), boot-time and a fragile boot process (ie if you do certain things before the nav is completely up, sometimes the nav's voice guidance is mute; this is might be fixed in 20A, as the release notes mention some improvement in "stability of voice guidance").

·
Registered
2019 Velar L560
43 Posts
It's been "OK" on 19C; still laggy but stable. They have 20A across the pond and it seem to have marginal improvements. If you mostly use Android Auto or CarPlay it makes life much easier.

One tip for CarPlay: Use the automation feature to fire up your standard apps (Waze, NPROne and Messages for me). The Automation will only run these apps after the boot sequence is over avoiding the failure to launch CarPlay if you hit the inControl button too soon in the boot process.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
121 Posts
FWIW it appears the issues are primarily software related which are curable (other than slowness which could be related to graphics/memory/CPU speed) so wouldn't hesitate to upgrade to a Touch Pro Duo equipped model. My wife drives a 2018 RRS that was just upgraded to 19C and so far no issues.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's been "OK" on 19C; still laggy but stable. They have 20A across the pond and it seem to have marginal improvements. If you mostly use Android Auto or CarPlay it makes life much easier.

One tip for CarPlay: Use the automation feature to fire up your standard apps (Waze, NPROne and Messages for me). The Automation will only run these apps after the boot sequence is over avoiding the failure to launch CarPlay if you hit the inControl button too soon in the boot process.
Great tip! I didn't even realize that iOS now offers an automation feature... learned something new. Didn't quite follow how automated the launching of certain apps when connected to CarPlay helps prevent that failure of hitting the button too soon? Is it because it causes (as a side effect) the appearance of the CarPlay button to be delayed long enough for the rest of the system to boot up properly?

One annoyance I have is that sometimes music automatically resumes and sometimes it doesn't -- no correlation with how long the car has been off/ whether i unplug the phone or not, etc. Maybe automating the launch of pandora will solve this as well.

·
Registered
2019 Velar L560
43 Posts
Didn't quite follow how automated the launching of certain apps when connected to CarPlay helps prevent that failure of hitting the button too soon? Is it because it causes (as a side effect) the appearance of the CarPlay button to be delayed long enough for the rest of the system to boot up properly?
If you set it up to automatically launch your favorite apps when CarPlay is available, you don't hit the inControl CarPlay button at all. When everything is booted up, the apps will appear. Sometimes I get all the way out of the driveway before everything is up and sometimes it is almost instantaneous.

One annoyance I have is that sometimes music automatically resumes and sometimes it doesn't -- no correlation with how long the car has been off/ whether i unplug the phone or not, etc. Maybe automating the launch of pandora will solve this as well.
I have the same issue. I find that (a) hitting "pause" before I turn off the car and (b) waiting to unplug the iPhone until after I have turned the car off and opened the door helps. It's a ridiculous chicken dance that shouldn't be necessary but now it's second nature. FWIW, this annoyance is not a JLR issue as I have experienced it in other makes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you set it up to automatically launch your favorite apps when CarPlay is available, you don't hit the inControl CarPlay button at all. When everything is booted up, the apps will appear. Sometimes I get all the way out of the driveway before everything is up and sometimes it is almost instantaneous.

I have the same issue. I find that (a) hitting "pause" before I turn off the car and (b) waiting to unplug the iPhone until after I have turned the car off and opened the door helps. It's a ridiculous chicken dance that shouldn't be necessary but now it's second nature. FWIW, this annoyance is not a JLR issue as I have experienced it in other makes.
Just set it up- although it's not like i drive very much these days!

Yeah, as far as Carplay implementations I've used, JLR's isn't so bad. Audi's was the worst- very unreliable/unstable and navigating using the clickwheel is very frustrating. GM's was the best I think (used in my father in laws pickup).

My favorite Pandora/phone integration was actually in my old BMW. They had something called "BMW Apps" where certain apps (like Pandora) were built to interface with BMW's system directly. The nice thing was that it even worked over Bluetooth-- so you'd actually see the Pandora icon on your screen, could navigate through the various channels, thumbs up/down all through the native BMW interface while connected wirelessly! (So much more than the typical forward/back only bluetooth interface). That was in 2017 too. Built-in nav was great in that car too- i liked how the nav would instantly start navigating (without making your click or confirm) if it was confident that it understood (which it seemed to at a higher rate than Siri/Apple Maps and the voice recognition was quicker too). CarPlay feels like a step backwards in many ways, but i'll take it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts