RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks - I'll keep this relatively short. Bought a 2018 Range Rover Sport HSE SCV6 in May of this year. Ever since initial purchase, data connectivity has never worked. I've only ever used the original SIM that came with the vehicle. I tried subscribing to the ATT service, etc - but the service was terrible and the connectivity icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen reflected a 3G connection. Around September of this year I had my vehicle software upgraded to 18B. I had been hoping this would resolve the issue. No suck luck, connectivity tech was still 3G and so incredibly slow that it was unusable. Forget trying to use the hotspot functionality - devices couldn't even connect to the vehicle.

About a week ago, I started the car and noticed that the "3G" symbol was now "4G." No software changes. No SIM changes. In fact, my connected car (not trial, one I'd purchased) subscription with ATT had lapsed. I was pretty bewildered, but also excited. I went online to the ATT portal and purchased a "one month unlimited connected car" subscription eager to test out the "new" connectivity. I got into the car and *WHOA* ...features like satellite maps ACTUALLY worked. Even when driving. It used to redraw so often that the satellite view was completely unusable. Now, it was incredibly fluid and very usable. I also decided to connect a few devices to the vehicle hotspot and see if that functionality worked. Spoiler alert - it worked. I was consistently getting around 13Mbps down/13Mbps up and sometimes faster.

Now for the crazy part. I'd expected the provider to be listed as "AT&T" in the SpeedTest diagram. It wasn't. Instead, it was listed as "Verizon Enterprise Solutions." Thinking this might be a fluke, I tried several different devices, all listing the service provider as "Verizon Enterprise Solutions." Screenshot attached. Is it possible that for us here in the United States, Jaguar Land Rover has finally decided to ditch the horrendous in-car wireless/LTE services provided by AT&T and go with Verizon instead? The weirdest part is that the subscription I purchased was still 100% through AT&T on their normal connected car subscription website, so it would be odd to be receiving Verizon service as part of an AT&T contract...unless there's some sort of subcontracting deal in play here. I haven't been able to find any official publication on this, nor have I gotten anyone from my dealer to confirm or deny. Either way - I'm loving the new *very* reliable in vehicle wireless and wifi hotspot services. Is anyone else able to confirm my findings?

Screenshot_20181125-190719.jpg

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
87 Posts
That is strange indeed.

I just picked up my vehicle 2 weeks ago, so it's the ATT SIM on 4G. The strange thing for me it says I'm out of data. Not sure how that is possible already, since I'm not using the HotSpot or even the NAV. The only thing I use in the Remote Start, but I can't imagine that uses much data. I thought my Rep said it was 3 months of free data, but I could have heard wrong.

I've seen on this forum, some people purchasing a T-Mobile SIM and going that route for cheaper data rates. But, I haven't heard Verizon...that is whom my business plan is through, so it would be nice if that was an option.

Anxious to see the replies...

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
61 Posts
bgcports - I picked my vehicle up in July and it was only about 3 weeks ago that 4G started working after a dealer service appointment. To my knowledge, no specific software was applied and the version number remained the same before and after the appointment. I did have some connectivity issues a few days ago but noticed that the SIM card wasn't fully seated in the slot. After removing and reinserting the SIM I have had a stable 4G connection. After reading your post I tested the WiFi hotspot as well and found that the service provider is listed as Verizon Enterprise Solutions despite having an AT&T SIM.

oneway - My understanding is that the vehicle comes with 3 months of free data. That's at least how it worked for me and AT&T sent emails leading up to the end of the period to let me know on which day the service would stop unless I activated a new plan. I waited for little while to renew, but as soon as I did the SIM card was working again within a few minutes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts