RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy a Range Rover from 1999 with a turbo diesel 2.5 engine.
It has around 289000 km on ODO, it is 4x4, and it has an auto transmission.
The alternator doesn't work from time to time and the AC wont work either.

I'd like to get your thoughts on this buy and some reviews on the engine.
It has been serviced once per 15000 km.

Thankyou and regards,

·
Registered
755 Posts
As long as it's running ok, these engines can run forever, I would check over the complete car as there are plenty of other problems that could occur, has it got any service history, what work has been done ? The engine is the least of your worries, there readily available,, if you can , get it chipped, performance is a bit low on these, but if it's just to run A-B then leave as is

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as it's running ok, these engines can run forever, I would check over the complete car as there are plenty of other problems that could occur, has it got any service history, what work has been done ? The engine is the least of your worries, there readily available,, if you can , get it chipped, performance is a bit low on these, but if it's just to run A-B then leave as is

Thankyou for the reply,
It has been serviced every 15000 kilometers and it also has been chipped.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Sounds like it's been maintained then, always a good sign. The a/c can be sorted once you have it, normally not a big deal to sort out

·
Registered
97 Posts
The most likely cause for A/C not working is a leak. The condenser is a common culprit and also the thin high pressure pipe around the back of the headlight. As these cars are getting old you can have problems with joints seizing - I replaced the pipe behind the headlight plus the drier (just as well as the pipe was seized onto the drier) but the pressure switch was seized onto the old drier so ended up buying one of those too. It cost me about £50 (x 3 = £150) for those 3 parts. I work with air con so I can do the re gassing myself otherwise maybe another £50 to get it refilled and some PAG Oil added.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well this is a let down... Car was sold yesterday.
Lowest priced Range Rover I've seen for a very long time.
Nothing to do about it then to keep on looking.

Thankyou everyone for all your advise.
I'll be on the lookout for another RR td. Hope to get back here real soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts