RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at a 2015 HSE with 48k miles on it, (we are also open to a RRS). Although we can afford it, Id rather not spend some of the high prices on basic/easy maintenance. For the Range Rover veterans, what maintenance can be done easily at home (I.e. Oil changes)? Would you suggest doing this yourself or is it worth just taking it in, might I add the closest LR dealership is 45 min. Also, since Im new to LR, what should I look for before buying? And to add, pending any huge failures, what are some things I can expect to happen as a RR owner? Would you recommend an extended warranty, or just bank the money and use it if needed?

Ive always talked myself out of a RR every time we are buying a new car. Id like to convince myself this time to pull the trigger. The other car we are looking at is a 16' Land Cruiser.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I do oil & filter changes annually myself on my L405. Super easy, especially with a pump to extract from the top. Recommend not paying someone to do that.

I was going to do my brakes/rotors this year but ultimately had an independent do them, which he did in one hour and way better/faster and cheaper than I could have.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I remember the land rover dealer here told me the oil change on my old evoque was $299, oil change on my 5.0 L405 $299. I NEVER go to the dealer. Even if its a warranty issue that won't cost me anything I dread going to the dealer. Most are a big scam and the people working in service are as knowledgeable as a blind monkey.

I buy the LIQU MOLY JLR specific oil, it costs me around $70. The filter is around $50 (i buy it from the dealer, im sure cheaper can be found online) and I give my mechanic $20 to do the job. $140 for oil change which I like to do every 3k miles.

The brakes I always spend few hours online looking for the cheapest OEM rotors, pads, sensors, etc. Usually can get them all around for under $500. Same mechanic charges me $100 to do front and rear brakes or $50 for front or rear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good, thanks for the response. As far as reliability, on average, do most RR owners experience few problems or is it an on going issue you see. Of course everyone on this forum is asking questions on why something is going wrong, so its a bit deceiving. Anything you RR owners have seen that WILL go wrong with the RR?

·
Registered
199 Posts
For a late model L405 with under 75 or 100k miles, there aren’t any big mechanical gotchas that I am aware of, other than keeping up on fluid, filter changes and brake rotors/pads and tires. I’ve had 2013, 2014 and 2015 versions from 0-75k miles each and have had no warranty or big maintenance issues.

That said, a CPO one with warranty would be preferable to one without. I doubt that if a major issue happens and it is out of warranty, it will be expensive. But I’d take my chances personally based upon my experiences.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For a late model L405 with under 75 or 100k miles, there aren’t any big mechanical gotchas that I am aware of, other than keeping up on fluid, filter changes and brake rotors/pads and tires. I’ve had 2013, 2014 and 2015 versions from 0-75k miles each and have had no warranty or big maintenance issues.

That said, a CPO one with warranty would be preferable to one without. I doubt that if a major issue happens and it is out of warranty, it will be expensive. But I’d take my chances personally based upon my experiences.
Thanks. As far as the CPO, the wife drives about 15k a year, so that might be out the window. I may set aside some cash and see if I can wheel and deal on an extended warranty

·
Registered
337 Posts
CPO is not really worth it since JLR doesn't even have their own CPO program. A good platinum warranty through a reputable aftermarket company (Ally, Lexus Financial, Fidelity) would be a good option.

I suggest Ally or Lexus.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Land Rover does have an official CPO program. I’m driving a CPO 2015 HSE right now with a CPO warranty purchased pre-owned from a Land Rover dealer.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
584 Posts

Be aware that the air compressor may fail. Mine died around 45K.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
45 Posts
+ 1 on a 3rd party extended warranty. You don't need a CPO

·
Registered
2 Posts
+ 1 on a 3rd party extended warranty. You don't need a CPO
Hey Mark,

I figured you'd be the perfect person to answer as I see you have a LC and a couple Lexus'. I just had my LX570 totalled and am looking at replacing it with a 2013 RR HSE V6 OR V8 SC. Any opinion as to how costly the RR would be to maintain? Routine maintenance I have no problem with; but I want to avoid paying for constant repairs.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
45 Posts
Hey Mark,

I figured you'd be the perfect person to answer as I see you have a LC and a couple Lexus'. I just had my LX570 totalled and am looking at replacing it with a 2013 RR HSE V6 OR V8 SC. Any opinion as to how costly the RR would be to maintain? Routine maintenance I have no problem with; but I want to avoid paying for constant repairs.
depends on the milage
if you buy one over 100,000, i say set aside $1000-2,000/ year and that's being generous.
most of the times, it's really the electronics.

i'm biased with the V8
they come in 2 flavors for the 2013 Range Rover: a 375-hp, 375 lb-ft of torque naturally aspirated 5.0-liter V-8
and 510-hp, 461 lb-ft supercharged 5.0-liter V-8 in the Supercharged model.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes agree. I was going to say the same thing, don’t worry about it and set aside on average of $2000 - $2500 per year to cover things that may fail.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Go with the Land Cruiser, delete yourself from this forum, and never look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
20 Posts
From my experience on my Girlfriends 2017 L405 HSE. The Auto E Brake is annoying. You need the IIDTool or a not so cheap OBD-II device to put the brakes in service mode. Also recommended is to put the Air Suspension in service mode if you plan on jacking the truck up on just one corner at a time. It disables the auto leveling on the truck

·
Registered
337 Posts
Funny thing to note the dealer 8 miles away from the other dealer had the oil filter today for $35 vs $50. Go figure.

They then tell me an oil change is $420 plus tax lmao

·
Registered
550 Posts
Funny thing to note the dealer 8 miles away from the other dealer had the oil filter today for $35 vs $50. Go figure.

They then tell me an oil change is $420 plus tax lmao
That’s not an oil change it’s the xx,xxx mile service. They inspect your wipers, too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
The best was a year or two ago I was being lazy and I had read on the Evoque forums people paying $150 to change the oil on the Evoque at dealer. Seems reasonable enough to me.

I booked an oil change and went to the dealer where the pleasant lady told me it was $300. I said how much for my L405 she goes $300. I said how is that possible the cars use different amounts of oil why is it the same? She had no answer.

I guess people in my area have no problem paying $300 to get the oil changed on a 4 banger escape ecoboost motor.

BTW the oil filter for the Evoque has the ford logo crossed off and LR logo stamped on.

??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts