RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ...

So as I mentioned in my introduction, I am looking to purchase a low mileage 2010 Range Rover Sport ... I am leaning towards the SC variant as it is closer to the performance (in terms of acceleration) of my current 2010 GMC Yukon Denali, than the HSE Lux.

This would be my first Land Rover vehicle, so perhaps you would be kind enough to advise me as to what I should be looking for in regards to red flags when purchasing, and what are the most typical reliability issues in these vehicles. I understand that they are inherently well engineered vehicles, but as all things mechanical, there are bound to be inherent caprices to this specific model.

I am anecdotally aware for example, that early/mid 20xx models suffered from various electrical issues ... if this is indeed the case, have they been resolved?

Also, are the SC trucks more sensitive to mechanical issues or can one expect the same level of reliability as the non SC trucks?

Finally, as I am unfamiliar with this vehicle, perhaps there are pointers and elements that it is important for me to be aware of, but lack the knowledge to ask the question ... please inform me accordingly at your leisure. :)

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I highly recommend going for a 2010 or 2011 supercharged model. Yah, every car has the slight few problems or growing pains, but by now, most of them should have already been serviced a few times and have had problems taken car of. Fyi, the sound system and manual tail gate on the '10-11 are better than the '12's apparently. These are great trucks and will turn you into an LR enthusiast in no time.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dan,

One hears stories of old when some of these vehicles ended up spending more time at the dealer service bay than one's garage/driveway ... my initial research seems to indicate that this is in fact no longer the case.

So in regards to the liftgate ... am I to unbderstand that the 10/11 models don't include a powered version?

My understanding is that the latest major update to the RR Sport was in 2010, in fact I find the interior a lot more appealing than the 09s and earlier ... it surprises me though that a power liftgate option wouldn't be standard.

And yes i'm looking forward to this new adventure ... I have been rather loyal to GM full size SUVs for some time, and although I have no major complaints with them, I am looking for something more refined and more capable. The solid rear axle on the GM trucks is great for towing, but handling and comfort suffer significantly as a result.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Yup, no powered lift gate option for '10-'11 models. And yes, there was a huge interior update for '10+ with much more and higher quality leathers all around. The '06-'09 models had quite a few problems, especially early models one's with diff problems. One common problem that has carried over to the newer models is that your front lower control arm bushings will wear out quickly, probably every 40-50k miles depending on terrain you drive on. It's a factory warranty item but can be quite costly out of warranty. Oh, and the front driver or passenger seat may have "rocking" seat rails which is easy to fix. The dealer could order a whole new seat bracket but there was a tsb posted here about just setting the seat rails slightly off parallel which solved my problem.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Dan,

I'll definitely have those elements looked at closely pre-purchase.

Btw I was looking at your sig and what you have done to your truck and it warms my heart. Not only cause I love the way your truck looks, but mainly I wasn't so sure how modifiable these vehicles are and how one may be able to interchange elements from different trim levels. This is a huge part of owning a GM SUV as many of us spend out time interchanging Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade elements/parts to personalize our rides. It seems this expensive hobby will continue. :)

On this note, the only thing I really find unappealing about the SC livery is those five spoke rims ... I find their design incongruous with the inherent elegance of the vehicle. So the first mod will be swapping them out for a different design oem 20s. I know however that there are companies like Redborne who specialize in LR aftermarket wheels ... what is the general concensus on their quality, are there any other LR specific aftermarket wheel manufacturers of note, and last, are there any issues with running a staggered setup?

I know it's a lot of questions. :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And another thing! :)

I'm a little confused by what LR calls the RRS drivetrain ... name they designate it as permanent four wheel drive.

Is that just a fancy way to say AWD or is it a different kind of 4WD configuration that allows the vehicle to use 4WD on dry pavement?

Essentially what I'm asking is, do these SUVs have a transaxle differential?

Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was in the exact same boat as you...

Sold my Denali for a 2011 SC/RRS black/ivory and never looked back. Wife and I sometimes say the roominess inside is not as big as the Denali, but the RR brings a whole new level of appreciation for luxury vehicles. We have a young son who is 2 yrs old and another baby on the way. You'll sacrifice space over quality and appreciation, but the rear seat proximity to the driver we actually like because it makes for easy access to reaching behind for sippy cups LOL!

Also, the 20's just don't seem to do it justice and think 22's are perfect which I plan to add. There's also knowing that the RR isn't bound by any restrictions to offroading and can go just about anywhere, literally.

Your best bet is to get a 2011 SC with 10-20k miles for a big discount maybe low 60's that's certified. For me that would be a good deal.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi H,

Thanks for the welcome ... it's nice to know that I'm not the only Denali owner to be stepping up to an RRS/SC. This is my soon to be traded current ride (slightly modified with esky tails/3rd, esky mirrors, oem 22s, and a HID RX-350 retro):

I am aware that the RRS is slightly smaller, which is actually good for me living in an urban environment ... also no kids, just a wife and a 70lb bulldog.

So 22s won't look too big on the RRS?
I assume my current 305/40s won't work. :)

And you're probably the best person to answer this ... is what RR call full time 4WD the same as what everyone else calls AWD?

Thanks man.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Nope, AWD and 4x4 are two different systems. 4x4 means that you have the ability to switch from four wheel drive to 2 wheel drive. i.e. the z71 tahoes are able to switch to 2 wheel drive with only the rear axle getting power. Now the escalades with AWD mean that there is constant 4 wheel drive without the ability to switch to 2wd. The RRS has AWD with a hi/lo transfer case, locking center differential, open front and rear diff with optional rear lockers (although Terrain Response automatically locks the wheel that's spinning, acts as e-diff). the four wheel drive system in all RR's are AWD without the ability to turn the front axle "off".

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Dan.

I actually know all that as my previous vehicle was 4WD and my current is AWD. The main difference being that AWD has a transaxle differential to allow for dry pavement driving.

My question was based because LR doesn't call their system AWD, but instead designates is as "Permanent Four Wheel Drive." I just wanted to make sure that they basically mean the same as AWD but just decided to call it something else just to be quirky. :)

----

ETA: AWD = Staggered setup is a no go... now to decide tween 20s and 22s.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Dan, you are absolutely correct. My 09 RRS S/C with only 28403 miles to be exact just got a new sway bar links and some bushings, and the dealer also fixed my moving seat. Fortunately, it was still under warranty. One quick question, can you give me more possible '09 problems that I have to look for, hopefully, I can get everything fixed before warranty expires. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Sure! My '05 LR3 had a lot of first year problems that carried over to the '06 RRS, but my '08 RRS has been extremely solid. On yours, it sounds like they changed sway bar end links and bushings, you might want to ask if they checked lower control arm bushings. Drive it up and down your driveway or over speed bumps with the windows down and see if you can hear a knocking sound. If you do, then LCA bushings are shot. At ~28k miles though, I'd bet they are fine. Also, turn on and off the "recirculation" button for the a/c and check if you hear a farting noise from the passenger footwell. Sometimes, the recirculation flap can get a little sticky and make some noise. Also check for sunshade rattle from the headliner. My RRS still makes this noise and the dealer says "cannot duplicate", but I'm just nitpicking here. Other than those small details, your '09 should really have no major problems. Most trouble items from earlier models were ironed out with updated parts for '08-'09 models.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks Dan. Yes, that's one thing that I forgot, they've replace the LCA bushings too. That was the main reason why I brought it to them, 'coz it only happens loudly during the morning when I drop my son off to his school, and the drive way to the school is uphill, and as soon as I turn to enter the school drive way, uphill, the knocking sound is so loud that I thought the air shocks fell off :). But now, the steering is so tight, and just enjoying the drive. Thanks again, and if I have any questions, hope you don't mind me picking your brains. Oh, sorry soul for hijacking this thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts