RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a '95 LWB with 168K miles. The truck is relatively new to me and I need to replace the motor due to excessive noise coming from the valve train, significant rod knock, a major rear main seal leak. This is my third classic and I am very aware of all the noise these motors can develop. My concern is that I don't trust this truck beyond a 10 mile radius from my home. I do not want to rebuild my 4.2, I would rather find a quality rebuilt 4.6. I have been online and have experienced a bit of sticker shock: $7200 for a long block plus shipping to CA from Atlantic British is not that appealing to me. And then there are other used engine outfits whose deals seem too good to be true. Has anyone had good luck with a motor re-builder on the West Coast? Thanks for everyone who took the time to read this thread, I look forward to everyone's thoughts.

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
213 Posts
I had a top-hatted 4.6 built for me by Ed Testa at IE Rovers in Lake Elsinore (Riverside, CA). He's been building rover motors for 20 years, and knows his stuff. Cost was very reasonable too. The rebuild long block (hot tanked, line-bored, old sleeves pressed out, cylinders machined, new top-hat sleeved pressed in, cylinders match-honed, reassembled) was $4,500. I planned to pull the motor myself and bring him the long block, but decided to have him do the whole thing (pull, tear down, rebuild, and re-install) for ~$7,500 (this was last year, his prices may have changed). Extremely helpful and easy to talk to, I strongly recommend him.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Pay up or do it yourself, plenty of perfectly good rebuildable junkyard engines out there. Avoid stateside rover vendors (except L8) like the plague, turner will get you a reman short block for under 5k.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a top-hatted 4.6 built for me by Ed Testa at IE Rovers in Lake Elsinore (Riverside, CA). He's been building rover motors for 20 years, and knows his stuff. Cost was very reasonable too. The rebuild long block (hot tanked, line-bored, old sleeves pressed out, cylinders machined, new top-hat sleeved pressed in, cylinders match-honed, reassembled) was $4,500. I planned to pull the motor myself and bring him the long block, but decided to have him do the whole thing (pull, tear down, rebuild, and re-install) for ~$7,500 (this was last year, his prices may have changed). Extremely helpful and easy to talk to, I strongly recommend him.

Thank you very much, Lance! I spoke with Ed last week. Prices have gone up a bit, however, it sounds like he knows how to build a bullet proof 4.6. I'm on his wait list and hope that I'll have a completed motor by October. Thanks again for your reply!

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
213 Posts
Thank you very much, Lance! I spoke with Ed last week. Prices have gone up a bit, however, it sounds like he knows how to build a bullet proof 4.6. I'm on his wait list and hope that I'll have a completed motor by October. Thanks again for your reply!
Glad to help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a rebuilt 4.6 for $2,500 but it's in NY. Rebuilt by Olsen Engines in Nyack, NY. He has rebuilt engines for Wayne Carini in CT.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a rebuilt 4.6 for $2,500 but it's in NY. Rebuilt by Olsen Engines in Nyack, NY. He has rebuilt engines for Wayne Carini in CT.
Hi John -I’ve heard of Olsen Engines but thought they closed shop...I could be very wrong about that. How many miles on the motor and do you have some of the rebuild documentation? Thanks for your response!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Charles was looking to retire soon and he has gotten a bunch of offers for his shop (prime location). I passed by the other day and he's still there.
I don't remember the mileage (I have a few motors) but I do have the speedo from the P38 it came out of, I'll check this weekend. I have the rebuild invoice also.
I won't be able to check until the weekend (work in a hospital in NYC).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here's a pic of the engine number and invoice. Invoice does not included cost of parts like pistons, head gasket, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts