RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a P38, VIN indicates it was built in 2001, and it has had quite a bit of interference/open heart surgery on the stereo system. I am trying to find out if it originally had the DPS system (no H K amp present in the rear, left wing, interior now, but it does have an Amp fixed onto the top of the two speakers in the black box above the CD autochanger). I read one post stating that this was the later development, after the HK units - is this so? Another test I read was to cycle through the controls on the head, and at some stage you would get a message regarding DPS - mine does not have this, but it is not the original head. Lastly, I took the door panel off, and found two speakers, plus a small tweeter behind the trim, plus a unit entitled "Door outstation" - is this an amp? if so, it would suggest that DPS had never been fitted (I think the door is original, so the stuff in it should be, too).Due to my confusion, and the state of the whole system, it may well be that the best thing to do is to put in a new, aftermarket system.

·
Super Moderator
2,328 Posts
It all depends on what was originally fitted as there were 4 levels of audio install. The Low line had only the bass and tweeter in the front doors, no mid range, so you don't have that. The Mid line which had the three speakers that you have which were wired directly to the radio. Then there was the High line with the three speakers and a separate amp in each door. The outstation controls things like the locking, windows and mirrors so is there on all models, the amp is a separate unit mounted lower down the door next to the bass speaker. The high line system also had the steering wheel controls for the stereo and the sub with it's own amp. Then at the very top is the Premium system with the DSP amp mounted in the LH rear panel behind the sub lurking under the sound deadening felt and the sub with it's own amp. So, if you have the sub but no separate amps in each door, it does sound like you have the DSP system and just haven't dug deep enough to find the DSP amp yet.

DSP.JPG

·
Registered
771 Posts
The aftermarket system seems to be the way most are going with, updated sat nav, Bluetooth ect, your have to make some antenuators ( think that’s what there called ) not hard to make, or expensive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chris, I think that is probably the way I will go, too. Marty seems to know everything there is to know about this, and has some really helpful posts, so I've dropped him a note asking if he ever got round to making kits for sale, as that would make it so much easier for someone like me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts