RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering the left and right aerials are amplified - will joining them together using this splitter cause issues? 41PmxF0FBBL._SCLZZZZZZZ__SY115_SX115_.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi 95,

Ah, thought I might end up with worse reception by blowing the amps! I'll give it a whirl and see if I can get any kind of quantitative results!

·
Registered
30 Posts
The way I understood it was that the original radio searched for the stronger of the two signals from each ariel and locked onto that but that the reception strength of each was still equal. I just used one input but you can tell the signal is a bit weaker than you would expect.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
That is true of the FM signal in the diversity system. To certain degree it will change from right FM to Left FM if your travel direction changes. AM is single antenna only.

Of course not a single member in this has their Rover info in their signature so we would have reference... :roll:

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
true it is diversity system and fm searches for the best reception, but when using an aftermarket radio the signal strength drops dramatically. there is something in the factory radio which changes the reception, but oh well better than nothing....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The head unit I'm using is this Radio-USB-Bluetooth-(1).jpg it's a continental TRD7412UB-OR. Looks right in the car as can set the level of dimming on the screen so it doesn't look out of place. DAB 'seems' to work better since the splitter addition but I will admit a large part of that could be psychosomatic. Hands free calling (even from just built in mic) and bluetooth streaming work well, would recommend for those looking to add everyday functionality but not wanting to butcher or spoils the dash looks with an ugly neon flashing 'modern' head unit.

The radio was plug and play in so far as the iso power and speaker blocks just plug straight in - the subwoofer has no way to tap in so I've made a harness after identifying the connector types (no cutting wires thank you) to tap it off the right rear speaker.

I get no sound at all when radio powers on, but if I remove the sub and reconnect it it does work but with way too much bass (I was expecting this as I have yet to bypass the old subwoofer amp -AMR2002) but unsure as to why I get no sound from the other speakers.

Bit more trouble identifying the sub amp plugs so I have ordered an old amplifier which I can cut up to make a harness out of the female plugs from that. Appreciate the audiophiles might think this criminal as the sub will only be on the rear left but I just want usable everyday sound and not lug around the sub that does nothing yet keep the option to go back to stock with a few minutes of unclicking oem plugs.

Did the later classic Rovers have just an amp on the sub and not in the door cards?? RAVE wiring seems to indicate it doesn't but I've read these forums from thread 1 and am sure I recall that the high line (which this is/was) did. Was that just a NAS thing??

As always thanks for the help - I've updated my Sig ToadHall - Just for you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts