RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few months back, i blew a tire while wheeling, which america's tire company easily replaced under warranty. i specifically asked about having a brand new tire at one corner with 3 well traveled tires at the other. i can't recall how many miles i've got on the old ones. but they said not an issue and just replaced one tire under warranty.

2 weeks ago and i find a slow leak in another tire (not the new one). another trip to america's tire finds a gash. they'll replace under warranty and they not surprisingly nudge me towards replacing the other two, but i can buy them now. at this point, the guy notes that because my RRS is full time 4wd, they will not install it citing they would be potentially liable for t case issues and/or safety. i call BS on the liability issue and despite by insistence of my car, my risk, he won't do it although they will mount and balance it. they just won't install it even though they did it a few months ago. done arguing with the guy so i agree to just let 'em throw it onto the wheel and i'd just put it on myself.

so my question is around the importance of running relatively matching tires all around. i currently have 2 relatively new tires and 2 well traveled ones with no full sized spare. that's the one that will be replaced under warranty. it'll be of a matter of weeks (as opposed to months) that i'll be mismatched with mostly in town driving. no long trips and no wheeling. i think in the short term, i should be ok but looking for opinions. what am i risking?

what about matching brands? i'm running the same size all around, but rotating in my nitto spare. any danger in running one nitto and three coopers long term? or should i stick to the same one all around?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
222 Posts
Because the RR has a center differential and a differential in each axle and runs full time 4WD it helps alleviate the problems of different tyre wear front to rear and left to right, so the different depths you have on your tyres wont do any harm to the 4WD system. The only knock on affect would be handling and braking mainly in the wet due to low tyre tread depths, but again the ABS will help compensate for tread depths when harsh braking as it works on the distance a tyre travels (smaller diameter due to low tread, wheel travels less distance in one rotation then a tyre with double the amount of tread), and tyre makes are I think just a matter of choice again front axle tyres different to rear, cross axle tyres different makes, but so long as they have the same size, speed rating and weight load it shouldn't be a problem, I would try and stick with asymmetrical tyres rather than directional ones, again just personal choice. At times i have used budget tyres and found them to be just as good if not better than a quality make (i have found this when swapping from Continentals to a cheaper make, much quieter and more wet weather grip). Hope this helps.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Make especially sure the 2 front tires show similar wear. If the tread is worn enough on just one of them (even on two tires of the same brand and size, one being new and one well worn) the auto transmission may prevent upshifts past 2nd or 3rd gear, as the electronics detect the different revolutions of the two front wheels and assume you are cornering. If you briefly must run on a mismatched tire (not recommended in the long run), better to mount it on the rear axle to minimize this possibility.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts