RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any useful ideas? Range Rover P38 1998 2.8 ,,

the other day a dropped me mate off at work and the seatbelf got caught in the door, got all the way home locked in using the key(handset doesn't work) come out a hour later and the engine disabled, ive had this problem in the past but after a hour of inputting the code using the key in the door latch it starts, but no luck this time ive been trying to imput the code for the last 3 days! but still no luck. RAC been out recharged the vechical battery still no luck but when the rac left and tried again it came up with something to do with the windows witch was easily fixed by opening and closing each window, a thought this might of been the problem but still no having nowt!!
im about to try ^ removing the - lead from the battery and hopefully this will work

ANY ADVICE PLEASE............ i cannot afford to replace parts e.g door latch, keyfob battery or take it to a garage, ive already put well over 2k into due to air suspension and tracking problems,

im afriad to say if a cant get it working its the scrap yard for me precious range! :'(

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
Re: Broken keyfob and immobiliser

Sadly you have followed in the foot steps of a great many people that don't maintain their rig and are now (or going to be) paying a much higher price. Replace the latch, sync a go about your next task.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
883 Posts
Re: Broken keyfob and immobiliser

If you're looking for a free fix for this, you're not gonna find one. Sorry.

If you can't afford to sink money into a Rover, then it's probably best you don't have one. Especially something like a keyfob battery. They're like $4 here.

Worst case scenario, you'd need a new latch, and keyfob made by a dealer.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,219 Posts
You can quite easily test a whole bunch of the central locking latch functions for nothing and at home with nothing more than a multimeter and an hour or so of time to take the door card off, run the tests and putting it back together.

If your latch is duff then replacements are about £100 brand new, or can be picked up cheaper 2nd hand.

Making sure you have a working key fob is useful, fresh batteries, back plate etc. So that way you know the FOB will synch if the rest of the system will let it (ie door latch)

Take a look at a bunch of the other recent latch, locking, immobilised, or key fob threads and run the tests for the door latch that I've posted links to in other recent threads (not my website, just one that's really useful). Report back with your findings and maybe people can be of more assistance...

Sent from my S4

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Engine Immobilized (no handset)

Hello,

ive been trying to get my Range Rover P38 2.5dse started for what feels like a life time, the handset dosnt work so ive been using the key to try and enter the EKU, i have done this in the past and started straight away but this time no luck, ive read a few posts on here about taking the -lead off the battery ect but still will not start. my range has been a money pit ever since a brought it, tracking, air suspension, now this. a cannot afford to take it to a garage again..

so any help before Christmas would be a miracle! please please any help would be most appricated!

p.s a do believe its something to do with the central locking/driver side door lock. when a entered the EKU before a could here the central lock working, now a have to manualy lock all doors before a enter the EKU. am a doing something wrong or is it time to scrap it and walk to work!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the help. a will put money into it, just it could only happen a week before christmas. Would a central locking failure cause the engine to immobilize? I have used the EKU 5 other times to rein-able the engine with no problems but im starting to think its something to do with the central locking?

so there is no quick fix till after the new year just so a can get it running? im not totally bothered about locking,

if a can get the engine started it will be a Christmas miracle!

thanks for all your help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts