RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it say in the title - I'm stupid. My battery was flat, I put it on recharge out of the car overnight and just went to put it back in. So that I wouldn't lose the key I put it into the ignition, I then connected the battery.
The driver's door was ajar (or so I thought), anyway, as soon as I connected the battery I was greeted by a few beeps and the doors locked!
Now I'm stuffed, I only have the one key and it's now in the ignition - any tips on how I get myself out of this mess?

Cheers

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I managed to remove one of the rear door "quarter lights" using a couple of flat bladed screwdrivers and some bicycle tyre levers - I'm back in!
Now I just need to get the key code entered as the alarm is not at all happy!

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,113 Posts
For Information:
Not sure how it happened, but suddenly my wife and I found ourselves on the outside of our locked P38 with both our keys inside... at this weekend's MAR... I managed to pry back the drivers window frame (upper back corner) enough to wiggle in a properly bent coat hanger, with a hooked end, and lift the door lock. Woke up a few campers with the 0730 vehicle alarm and the whoop of victory. It can be done without breaking or removing windows.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rtkraken said:
For Information:
Not sure how it happened, but suddenly my wife and I found ourselves on the outside of our locked P38 with both our keys inside... at this weekend's MAR... I managed to pry back the drivers window frame (upper back corner) enough to wiggle in a properly bent coat hanger, with a hooked end, and lift the door lock. Woke up a few campers with the 0730 vehicle alarm and the whoop of victory. It can be done without breaking or removing windows.

Glad you were succesful, I managed to remove the rear quarter light window without damage and also refitted it without any problems (I used to do odd jobs in a car repair garage and I've also rebuilt a couple of older cars). Anyway, I got back in OK and after finding out that I couldn't enter the EKA because it was locked out, waited around an hour or so and then retried, all OK, beast is back in business now!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did the very same thing also this Sunday, and im Not stupid!
Its very easily done the sercurity is way overboard.
Ive only got one key, having reconnected the battery i heard the dreaded sound of the security system self locking and daggling in the ingition was the key. ahhh!
luckily i had a skeleton key which works on all cars, (my faithfull lump hammer) however with the luxury of being on my own drive and in no hurry i considered all other options. With cafeful easing i too was able to remove the rear quarter window and replace it again without any damage probally took 15mins total.
Hmmm maybe i am stupid after all. lets just hope no bad boys read this thread?

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,113 Posts
olden said:
Hmmm maybe i am stupid after all. lets just hope no bad boys read this thread?
Nah. Still need the chipped key to get the vehicle started, and in superlock mode the alarm would be sounding long before the bad guys got the window out or coat hanger in.

Lesson number one - always leave a window down when working on your vehicle with the key in the ignition. :doh:

·
Registered
29 Posts
by rtkaken "Still need the chipped key to get the vehicle started
Hi rtkaken,

Shhhh! keep this very quiet, i can start my RR 95 HSE in seconds with no key. :shhh:
That still leaves the sterring lock, you are likely to only see a novice thief driving your car in circles.

Normally when disconnecting and re-connecting the battery I ensure a door or hatch is both open and unlocked.

Regards Olden

·
Registered
29 Posts
:oops: got me a big slice of humble pye!
I tried my "start with no key" only to find that in fact i did need the key to be in the ignition!

In my embarrasment, I did wonder if the ingition could be by-passed without the key by removing the casing from and manually crossing the key starter motor relay in the fuse box?

I would have tried it myself, but im having a warm start problem at the moment, and with all the stop starting the poor old rangie have developed another problem which means the RR now doesnt respond to the key being turned, Ive had this type of sympton before, the cure was to replace the fuse box.

Regards Olden

·
Registered
78 Posts
olden said:
:oops: got me a big slice of humble pye!
I tried my "start with no key" only to find that in fact i did need the key to be in the ignition!

In my embarrasment, I did wonder if the ingition could be by-passed without the key by removing the casing from and manually crossing the key starter motor relay in the fuse box?

I would have tried it myself, but im having a warm start problem at the moment, and with all the stop starting the poor old rangie have developed another problem which means the RR now doesnt respond to the key being turned, Ive had this type of sympton before, the cure was to replace the fuse box.

Regards Olden
hi there,is that a p38 ur talking about?if it is a petrol i was wondering did u fix ur warm start problem?if so please can u share ur fix with me coz i am having the same problem.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
Very interesting for a remote start install. Please share 8~
Could we imagine a section that is visible only from members that have good history on the board and not any bad boys?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Jorjiok, yes it a petrol/gas and yes i fixed it, check out - Re: Starts OK from Cold but struggles to re-start if you need help PM me.

Hi 996turbo, if you saw my embarrasiing follow-up you will know that i retacted my claim of starting without keys. However if as me you find your head stuck under the bonnet it may be of use to know the trick removing the case off of the starter motor relay marked SM located in the fuse box, with the keys in the ignition press the relay together and the engine should start, i had other problems at the time, and still havent tried to see if removing the relay case to the ignition and pressing that together with the starter relay. it maybe that the effect is that theres no need for the keys to be in. Of coarse with the chips and codes all over the show there maybe no chance of a fast get away for any bad boys that may be ear wigging, fact is any who are, are probally laughing their heads off, prehaps it they can add some advise as to (starting and driving) a RR with no keys?

Regards Olden

1 - 12 of 12 Posts