RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Vogue SE TDV8
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've had my 2012 RRS SC for a month now. I like the overall proposition, but can't stand the Logic7 (discussed elsewhere) and the ride quality. We live in Brisbane, Australia, where the roads are properly crap. And it gets worse when you leave the city. The RRS is constantly harsh over small irregularities.

I am running the stock 275/40/20 at 1 psi less than the recommended pressures (32/35).

So: what are my options? I'm willing to do quite radical things to bring it near/to FFRR level (which I would buy if it fitted our garage)
- How big a difference will 19'' wheels make?
- Would an official LR workshop be able to lower the EAS in the same way the GAP module does for pre-2010 models? Someone suggested a 10mm drop does wonders for the ride. See http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-range-rover-sport-l320/36421-any-way-soften-ride.html
- Is it possible to set up the suspension the LR4/Discovery way? I understand chassis and EAS are shared between the two models, and that the LR4 is set up for a more comfy ride.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Before I bought I drove both and HSE with 19" wheels and an HSE LUX with 20" wheels. The ride on the HSE was noticeably smoother. In my opinion, 19" wheels are better for everything but "cool factor".

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think that the SC has stiffer suspension then the HSE or HSE LUX regardless of the wheel size. I have 20's on my '12 SC and it rides hard. I agree it's almost too hard. People have suggested upsizing to 45 series tires to add a bit more sidewall but to me that seems like only a bandaid to the main issue. I'm also interested to know if there is a way via programming to soften the suspension settings in the '12 SC's.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
436 Posts
Lowered my 08 Sport 13 mm with BritPart's suspension and diagnostic tool. It has helped the harsh ride enough to justify the cost for me, and the truck has a better stance as well.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
279 Posts
I hated the harshness of the suspension on my '08 S\C. There is a TSB fix for the dreaded suspension knock on my S\C, which consisted of at least replacing the damper bushings. The knock is gone in addition too almost all the harshness and crashing. I also added sidewall, and am running 275/45-20's. No idea if this same TSB applies to 2010+ S\C's, but it should. I think Land Rover tuned the RRS S\C suspension for billiard board smooth race tracks.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I know you might not want to hear this, but I like the ride. I bought a Sport Supercharged for it to feel sporty. Drive around a new HSE. That's softer and floatier for your tastes. I don't want Land Rover to take this feel away because a few think it's harsh.

Your prayers will probably be answered for the next generation. I took out my sister's Evoque Dynamic coupe a few days ago. It has the MagneRide shocks. Huge difference between Dynamic and Normal mode. I would imagine JLR is going to use those shocks for a lot of the upcoming models. That way, I get a sporty ride, and you can get a smoother one. Problem solved. (Anyone who hasn't tried an Evoque Dynamic yet, go try it. Pretty **** nice little piece of machinery there.)

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
135 Posts
Lowered my 08 Sport 13 mm with BritPart's suspension and diagnostic tool. It has helped the harsh ride enough to justify the cost for me, and the truck has a better stance as well.
This would have changed the suspension geometry a bit. Has it had any effect on the wear of your tires? I'm considering doing the same thing to my truck but haven't because I'm worried about tire wear.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I had a complete 4wheel alignment redone with the 13mm drop, and was told that it was all within spec for this model year. I had to do the realignment for piece of mind, because I just put a new set of tires on it.
I have put about 600 miles on it since then, and all looks good!

·
Registered
2011 Vogue SE TDV8
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know you might not want to hear this, but I like the ride. I bought a Sport Supercharged for it to feel sporty. Drive around a new HSE. That's softer and floatier for your tastes. I don't want Land Rover to take this feel away because a few think it's harsh.
I respect that, Weatherman, and am glad you like your car. I have a low slung car for the sporty ride (911tt) and have been using it as a daily driver for 3 years, and actually purchased the RRS for a more relaxed drive. Stupid of me perhaps, as I should have bought an HSE. I somehow got sidetracked by the soundtrack and the 500hp headline! :naughty:

As you say, active suspensions will soon remove the trade-off between sporty and comfy. For now though, I feel that the compromise of the SC is too far toward the harsh suspension, given that it will never go fast around corners anyway, no matter how stiffly you set it up. So I'll try my bit to improve the ride. I'll start with bgsntth's TSB idea, then will move on to 19'' if I need to, and eventually to a GAP/Britpart-type lowering (as it will void warranty).

·
Registered
436 Posts
Alan,
If you lower the rrs with the Britpart tool, there is a function to restore all setting to factory spec. So, don't be concerned about warrentee. In all reality the dealer would never know. Before going back to them just restore original, simple as that.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yeah, Alan. Unfortunately, I don't get to be in your AWESOME situation and have a fun sports car. I wanted the combo platter.

Hey, by the way, my brother-in-law put on some wheels and tires that when I drive my wife's HSE, they're actually quite good at smoothing out the bumps. Her car originally came with the LR 255/? R19s. (She had 19's because it's an HSE. The brakes are smaller.) He put on 255/50 R20s. The speedo is like 3 MPH off on the highway, but it really helps with those small bumps and cracks. Boy, I really should get the exact dimensions and make of the tires. They're Nittos. Her car actually sits a little higher than my SC because of the tire size. The great thing is that it fills out the wheel well more. I should take some pics for the comparison for you when both machines are in the driveway. You can't even tell the 255 is narrower than the 275 on the SC. I just don't know if the 275 with a larger profile would clear the suspension components. I know someone on here has a whole write up on that stuff.

Alan, just remember how small our tire's profile is. That's harsh right there with almost 6,000 lbs rolling on them.

I don't even know if we can put 19's on the new SC, can we? Aren't our brakes too big?

Edit: As far as bgsnth's TSB thing, for the most part, that's pretty much solved on our latest gen rigs. He has the older model which had a lot of clunking when you'd hit smaller bumps. Ours, again, pretty much has that problem solved, though it's not perfect. Mercedes and Infiniti have that system down with the active sway bars. Us? Not so much. Your tech will probably tell you there's nothing wrong with your 2012 and not do any TSB.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Most (but not all) 2006 to 2012 19" OEM wheels from base trims RRS will also fit MY2010+ Supercharged with the larger non-branded Brembo brakes.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
279 Posts
I really think the harshness is with the stiffness of the bushings, and not so much the spring/damper rate. I'm coming from a 2009 Cayenne GTS with PDCC, and even riding on 21" wheels (295/35-21) and with the suspension in "Sport" there is nowhere near the same levels of harshness felt on broken pavement -expansion joints -etc.

I had a WRX with the STI suspension and added some Whiteline castor bushings. These two bushings absolutely destroyed the ride to the point that it was not tolerable anywhere but a racetrack. All of us buyers complained and Whiteline called us all "Yankee pansies", but did send all of us a set of more compliant bushings that removed the harshness while maintaining the favorable castor properties.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
741 Posts
Hmm, I thought the USA spec RRS actually came with softer bushings than their UK counterparts because we "fat americans" like a softer ride, hence why the most common service item are the those lower control arm bushings wearing out. I don't think putting anything softer bushings than the oem ones will last 10k miles without wearing out.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Vogue SE TDV8
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like that was the final word on the matter, Goosey.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Looks like that was the final word on the matter, Goosey.
Yeah. Hey, where did everybody go??

Reminds me of a story. There was a guy who earned a living as a bookie. So when he used to go to functions and people asked him what he did, he would say he sold windows. Unfortunately, there was a time when everyone in the US loved housing and some people would actually be interested in this and want to know more, and he'd want to get off the subject ASAP. He finally figured out one profession that would get people to not ask any more questions: cardboard box salesman.

I guess 'roids = cardboard boxes :D

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Well wife and I like euro stiffy vehicles, but you do need to ensure your suspension is in top form or the roughness gets insane. We modded the front lower bushings to the aftermarket poly material (Atlantic British), much better response and many small imperfections are gone. After a trip to North Carolina from Eastern Ontario (15 hrs) I can say things have improved drastically. We run the suspension lower than stock quite a bit. Just re-did the 4 wheel alignment again to see how things are faring on the laser system, so far so good - we are still on stock 20's and stick tire sizes. Looking at some new rims and rubber next year.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
799 Posts
I agree, the 40 profile is great for handling but is rougher. 275/45 R20 is what a lot of us run for a more comfy ride.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts