1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

My 2000 P38 4.6 HSE 140.000Km
with stock 16" Lightning with Michelin Syncrone 255/65 R16

My Rangie is making me mad (more than I already am)

I have installed Monros Gas shocks some years ago (and the steering damper as well) But eversince I've had funny noises in the undercarriage - klonk klonk... when I hit a smaal hole in the road surface - everything has been tightened correcty....

I'm thinking about changing all the bushes - also bought a set of blue Polybushes and will install them next weekend.... Dooooh! Bought these because I was told by many people - Polybushes are the modern solution to an old bush-problem... Is that true... or just a load of ...t?

What skould I bee looking for? Can it be the Panhard and steerig rod that is making funny noises or are Monroe just a no go solution for a Rangie?

Actually thinking about buying new oil dampers again - I miss my old sof Rangie - much too stiff now!!!!

I really need a bit of morale support right now - I love my car but HATE the klonk noises...... Arghhhhhh!!!!!

What should I do? Use OEM bushes and oil shocks? I don't a race car - i WANT A COMFY Range Rover!!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No ideas anyone?! I really need a good advice!!! - And my car needs my help asap!!!!! :crybaby2:

·
Registered
701 Posts
My rover is stiff ever since the dork that had it before me tore the system out. The pump still works and everything, I have a right mind to put it back in. Was your steering damper OEM? If it is not OEM, that may be the cause. However, your problem is not necessarily something wrong with the rover itself, it is probably the after market stuff put on it, so that kind of impedes our ability to help you unless someone else has the same problem with the same shocks or steering damper. You will have to make a judgment call on it, my thoughts are its the gas shocks because, the rougher they are the more things bounce around and make noise. However, it could be one or the other, or even both. I wish I could be of more assistance and hopefully somebody with more experience will chime in, but I figured I would at least respond to let you know we are here :wink: .

·
Registered
147 Posts
Check your Radius arm bushes. I had a thunking every now and then on certain corners. It was only as the weight fully came off the radius arm. I replaced these with genuine ones and it stopped. I couldn't get any aftermarket ones at the time, but was assured that the OEM rubbers are better anyway, only catch is they are challenging to fit.

Stu

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
233 Posts
If the noises started immediately after you installed the new gear, then it's odds on that they are associated with the new gear.

The front shock top bolts are especially prone to clunking if not torqued up correctly. I don't remember the actual torque value but I can remember that it was bloody high.
Re-check all the bolts with a torque wrench.
Make sure all threads are un-damaged.
If it persists, it's always possible you have a faulty shock, from new.
Try changing out a shock one at a time to isolate the noise source.
It could also be co-incidental that the noise began around this time.
Listen to the tips from other posters.
It may take time but you will find it in the end if you actually make changes one at a time.

Cheers,
Keijo

·
Registered
155 Posts
Where do you think the noise is comming from, what corner and does it get louder if the windows are open? I had what I thought was a rear suspension clunk but everything was tight. Turned out to be the subwoofer box.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I too have a knock with me its when i go over speed bumps, i searched on and off for days then i noticed that the front bush in the drivers side radius arm was closer to the one side of the axle bracket than the other. After inspection although the bush is solid it is so close to the bracket as soon as it flexes it klonks. Now i only have to get round to fitting a new set of bushes.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New dampers - (all 5 were fitted about a year ago) - everything is tightened correctly - klonk-noise is comming from behind - Subwoofer is NOT loose....

I'm thinking about buying origianal oil-dampers again... think the gas-dampers are too stiff.....

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Don't polybush the p38. Just replace with Genuine Part rubber. The only problem is that you need a special tool to get them on again. :roll:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DOOOOH!!!

Just realised that the dampers were fitted wrong last year - rear ones are at the front and vice versa - maybe that's the big problem - how the hell that happened I simply cannot understand - know what to do today..... and it's supposed to rain today - but I 'l do it anyway!!!

So I wan't be needing that 30 workshoppress I just bought the other day - at least not right now - fitted the Blue poly bushes at the dampers yesterday and checked the damper numbers again - and then forund the fault..... DOOOOH!!!

Well - it's only a couple of hours work - but the car is so sticky and dirty because of the anticorrosion threatment I gave the car som time ago....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DOOOOH!!!

Just realised that the dampers were fitted wrong last year - rear ones are at the front and vice versa - maybe that's the big problem - how the hell that happened I simply cannot understand - know what to do today..... and it's supposed to rain today - but I 'l do it anyway!!!

So I wan't be needing that 30 workshoppress I just bought the other day - at least not right now - fitted the Blue poly bushes at the dampers yesterday and checked the damper numbers again - and then forund the fault..... DOOOOH!!!

Well - it's only a couple of hours work - but the car is so sticky and dirty because of the anticorrosion threatment I gave the car som time ago....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts