RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going a little nuts with factory HU & need some sanity..

Hello, knowledgeable peeps,

I've had the car a week so I'm fixing some issues. Spent almost all my pocket money now...

Alpine HU with door amps (2000 DHSE). PO had put in an aftermarket HU using standard connections. Aftermarket occasionally worked when I viewed. But it was dead when I bought it (but I knew about it before I went up). Alpine HU provided with the car.

I've read just about every post on the system and RAVE so was surprised it was door amps not DSP in back, no NAV unit or telephone I can see (so far). Anyway put in my known working Becker satnav unit from my Freelander/HK system and had sound from doors except mid/low on right front. Took the door card off and low speaker found wired as mid (proper wire behind foam door panel). Tested with meter and 3.7 ohms on both mid & low. Got another door amp. Still no mid/low. Took low out and found it seized solid. Put in temp speaker to test with Becker and now we have sound. 1 problem solved but it may be relevant...

2nd problem and the one I'd be pulling my hair out if I had any - Alpine amp back in, still no sound from any speakers. Unit lights up, code in OK, CD Changer chugs, I can alter bass/treb/fader/bal etc using volume knob OK. But, it won't recognise when I want to change the volume - no "volume" on display. Wheel controls change channel when set to radio etc. The Becker doesn't recognise RR wheel controls (needed an extra box in the loom in the freelander) so I can't confirm/deny the volume switches are OK or not. Display doesn't say "Mute" or such and I have a "Mode" not "Mute" on the steering wheel.

Ultimately, I could just stick with the Becker but it doesn't work with the wheel controls and having searched I have yet to find a unit that will work with it. Nexxia don't seem to make their unit anymore and the others I have found remove the CD changer. I have too many projects to make an arduino read the wheel input (A->D) and construct the correct codes for the Ibus...

So what have I missed - I'm confused that the Alpine volume knob works on everything other than volume. I did think it was because the amp/low had pulled it down but can't see how one part wouldn't work. Are they known to fail like this or am I just lucky :)

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: I'm going a little nuts with factory HU & need some sani

Please ignore the other similar thread I added as I had a bad head day and double posted.
Cheers :)

·
Registered
1,564 Posts

Are you sure it is the original Alpine unit? Externally the door amp and DSP amp versions look the same but the outputs are different. The DSP version only outputs two channels, left and right, while the balance, fade and volume controls send a digital signal to the DSP amp which deals with things. So if the HU you have is a DSP version, then it won't drive the door amps. Check the part number on it, door amp version is AMR6285 while the DSP version is XQD101580LNF.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Hiya,

Many thanks for the reply - I wasn't aware they were different as I thought it would be typical to make one unit that did both. I thought it was the original HU as the security code from Land Rover unlocks it. I got the code a few days ago and it matched the one in the handbook/security details.

I am pretty certain that it is the XQD version and this would explain why no sound. I did lift the lid and there is what looks like a good old TDA amp chip, I'll see if I can get the part number from it which will allow me to find it's specs.

A new avenue :)
Thanks mate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Wotcha

It *seems* from P38webshop.co.uk (which I think is Marty_NZ)
"Through my research it has been found that the Alpine headunit for the DSP/Non DSP systems is identical "

I'll still see what I can find on the amp chip. But I still don't understand why the volume function doesn't work but the other parts do. Ho hum, I could have much more problems to deal with :)
Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts