1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RR P38 DSE 1999

Hey guys.

A couple of weeks ago when I was about to drive to work in the morning I was greeted by this message when I turned the key.

Ignition Tamper.

“That’s odd” I thought and neatly stored that info in the back of my head as something to look into some other time and drove off.
The same thing happened the day after and after that it didn’t return.

Now today a few weeks later I gave the old Rover a wash and noticed something odd about my drivers door key barrel as I was power washing the car.

“Isn’t the lock barrel key hole supposed to be covered by a chromed piece?”
As I looked closer there is what looks to be something made of wood lodged into the key barrel. It was a broken off tooth pick of all things. The key barrel still works btw.

“Huh?! Did someone actually try to break into my car?”
Now I’m reminded of the tamper messages from earlier and I also recall that that day I’m not even sure the car was actually locked as it didn’t make the normal sound of unlocking.

Nothing was disturbed inside the car at the time.

Now, if someone was trying to steal one of these cars what would be the criteria for “Ignition Tamper” to appear?

When searching on the topic I mostly get results with owners having a fault in the alarm system.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,328 Posts
Ignition tamper will come up if the starter motor has been energised without the ignition being on. So either someone tried to start it by getting underneath and putting power onto the starter solenoid, or your fusebox is failing. The broken off toothpick suggests the former. The only other time I have known it to come on was after the car had been parked next to a house with a faulty 433 MHz central heating thermostat that was transmitting random data every 15 seconds. That caused all sorts of weird and wonderful messages.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.

I suspected as much about the starter motor.
I read your thread about your heater causing that message right before I started this thread.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts