RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of questions on my 2010 TDV8

1/ To remove the overhead reading light/sunroof controls panel. is it simply a matter of removing the two small hex-head screws visible when the sun-specs holder is lowered?

2/ I'm looking for an ignition switched 12V supply and earth point to power my Nextbase 512G dash cam. The original camera installation kit included a cigar lighter plug with 5V output on a _very_ long lead, but the nearest (front) cigar lighter socket is under the centre console arm rest and I don't fancy running (and hiding) that lead all the way from the camera on the windscreen near the rear-view mirror. I have therefore ordered a Nextbase 'hard-wire" kit with a 5V output lead and need a suitable fused ignition switched 12V input. Would the sun-roof electrics behind that overhead panel be a suitable source of 12V to minimise the wiring?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No response - but no problem

It was clear when I received the 'hard-wire' kit from Nextbase that it was easier to use the 'fuse tap' lead supplied in that kit to connect to an ignition-switched circuit in the fuse panel behind the glove box and run the wire to the camera behind the trim on the 'A' post and roof lining to the camera on the screen next to the rear-view mirror.
After pulling the footwell side panel and 'fishing' in to the fuse panel to feed the 12V power wire it all came together nicely.
The only surprise was that I decided to use fuse F52, the cigar lighter circuit, which I knew was 'ignition switched' to operate the cigar lighter and hence the camera only when the ignition is on. What I did not know was that particular circuit is one of those which do not go 'dead' imediately after switching off the ignition. It remains 'live' for 3 or 4 minutes along with the courtesy lights etc after the ignition is switched off so the camera keeps recording for that amount of time after I park the car. No big deal - I guess it will record the immediate aftermath of the accident! :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
I ran mine across and down the A pillar to the fuse box as well. I forget which one I used, but that was the easiest way to run the wires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts