RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
By coil post do you mean the centre connection where the ht lead pushes in, if so what is the spark earthing against.? why do you want to test starter relay it’s cranking over is it not?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No, I mean the lugs that the connections bolt to. In regards to relay, I was referring to the earlier post for testing relays. You're right, turns over perfectly.

·
Registered
911 Posts
It maybe worthwhile getting something like this to get good visible reference, just use something like #8 plug lead on coil, straight to this and plug it onto #1 plug. Silverline 633982 Ignition Spark Tester: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

The coil post will flash when you do this (remove it's earth contact) as you get a "shunt" backwards through the switching of up to 400v, not dangerous as very low energy, but it will spark. This is why the amplifier has such a hefty switching transistor so it doesn't got up in smoke.

You could try putting a jump lead onto the coil - negative, then switch it by touching and removing the other end of jump onto battery negative. The faster you detach it the better to see the spark output.

Remember, that all the time the coil is connected it is filling the coil, and so nothing to see. But when you break that earth the energy stored tries to find a way out, which is what makes the spark at HT. So you are looking for spark just as you break contact.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks - have a spark tester. As I say, get a big blue spark, but at the coil lug rather than at the lead. Tried with my spare - same thing. The spare is a good one, by the way. I may have to give in and get a mechanic on the case - it's not run since Christmas! The trouble is finding someone with the expertise to do it...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I HAVE GOT IT GOING! I was faffing around, generally not knowing what I was doing, I leant on the lead from amp to coil when the ignition happened to be on. I heard relays etc. spring into life. Did some general bit of waving around of the lead and could hear the relays etc. keep kicking in and going off. Take the trunking off, notice that the wires have been soldered up but were pretty cruddy so re-did. Also noticed that the lead end, that goes on to the amp, was also pretty loose. Need to sort this out but I think I've got to the bottom of it, and it explains why the problem was so inexplicable. Need to get a new lead for the amp or cobble something together. Other good news is - the mystery noise disappeared! I suspect that because the circuit was so compromised, some injectors were firing, some weren't, some plugs firing, some weren't, and so there was just general clattering and banging of sorts. With a bit of fiddling of the lead whilst turning the key, got it going and running nicely but it does randomly cut out as the engine vibrations loose that lead which hopefully the new lead will resolve.

I am so, so, so grateful for the help from you all. I've learnt a lot during this process, despite getting incredibly frustrated at the thing! Just need to work out how to get the petrol cap open now. Anyone know how I can get some power to the motor to at least open? Need to investigate the central locking further at some stage but for now, I just want to drive the thing again!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Inside the boot on the inner wing is there not a small oval panel with some self tapers? mine has one if you unscrew it you can get to the fuel cap door solenoid

·
Registered
911 Posts
Great news that you've got to the bottom of it, quite a challenge to figure out too and definitely made us all think hard. Good perseverance on your part.

As you say, you can certainly learn alot from going through the process of troubleshooting. Think you may have completed 1st year course in vehicle diagnostics to B-tech standard, your certificate is now in the post sir ;)

Hope you get a good run out in it now, it gives confidence that you're not going to be stranded as you've identified the real problem.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
163 Posts
Such a great feeling to actually fix something that seemingly does not want to be fixed. These cars almost fight back - I'm sure mine laughs at me when I slam the garage door!!

Enjoy

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
486 Posts
Such a great feeling to actually fix something that seemingly does not want to be fixed. These cars almost fight back - I'm sure mine laughs at me when I slam the garage door!!

Enjoy
Can I suggest whispering sweet nothings into the door mirror every evening before bed, and providing it a warm glass of oil stabilizer? Soon you will earn the beast's trust, and the fighting and resistance may end. :)

..........or not, mine still screws with me six ways to sunday despite such coddling!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts