RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, its the novice again....

Anyone in the UK know of a reputable repairer of remote key fobs. I understand the issues about the fob being sync'ed to the BECM. I have a working fob, but the other has been monstered by the AA during one of my previous roadside 'enforced waits'. I can see a loose connection on the PCB inside.

This is slightly complicated by the fact that the ignition barrel on the steering column and the driver's door lock have different mechanical key fits - so I can use the stub key that fits the outside door to do the EKA and basic unlocking/locking, but it doesn't work in the ignition itself. I can live with this.

However, I do want two remote key fobs. There are several people advertising that they rebuild key fobs in the UK, but I would like a recommendation. I am living in Crete at present, so it is a bit more complicated getting things to and fro - our postal system here is a bit erratic.

PM me please unless you want to post up the good news.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If a new RR key fob from RR is about GBP 150, this sum may not be that much more than the cost of posting, repairing and returning your damaged one to you. The repaired one will most probably still look a bit worn or damaged and might not be reliable. If it proves unrepairable you have wasted the postage cost both ways if you want it back.

Additionally, you can specify Key 1 or Key 2 if you buy a new one.

One thing - of the door barrel and the ignition barrel, which is the original?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Door barrel - I have the bill for a 2nd hand ignition barrel, fitted by a dealer. The dealer must have done the necessary tweaking on the BECM, as the stub key for the door does the EKA, but the key fobs operate the ignition.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
OK, so you have to be careful here.

If you follow my idea a new key fob will be coded to your VIN and, I GUESS not tally with your revised BECM settings (not sure here). BUT ..

The originally supplied fob unlocks the BECM at startup? This means that, in fact, the BECM still matches your VIN and also the original fob, so, you are safe to order a new one from a dealer.... does this make sense? :)

You could even order a replacement lock barrel if you wished ...

If you like, I'll phone the dealer here to see if he will order a new fob (likely to be more costly than UK ...)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts