RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.

I just bought a 1991 Range Rover. The ignition key worked fine until yesterday. Now can't get it to work?

Anyone hear of this before?

Thanks

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
Really need a bit more to go on... What is it not doing? Is it not going into the key way? is it not turning? Is it not activating the ignition? Is it not activating the starter?

I can think of lots of reasons an ignition key is not working... all dependent on symptoms.

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
SOunds like something simple like a bit of pocket fuzz jambing a tumbler. Try some compressed air first. If it doesn't free try a squirt of brake cleaner or electronics cleaner. No to WD-40. Insert and wiggle the key a bit to get things freed up. Once completely dried and free use a spot of graphite powder. The keyways rarely fail without hints but they can be fully disassembled if necessary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tried both compresssed air to blow out or dislodge anything and then some graphite for lubrication to no avail.

How do i remove the keyway cylinder? I see its a separate component from the rest of the ignition assembly.

Thanks again

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
So you skipped the step of using brake cleaner or some other fast evap aerosol as noted above?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Try turning the steering wheel
While you turn the key
Like jiggle it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gave the fast evap cleaner a try. same thing.

Can you tell me my options for keyway removal or key modification?

Thank you for your input. I really do appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You can remove the steering wheel cover to access the keyway
It wraps around the collum
And is held together with two bolts
They can be awkward to remove but no big deal
Then take it a lock smith
Or get a replacement
I broke the key off in mine once and tore it up to start it
Mine was a 91 also
But it has a plug at the key
You can unplug it to start it
And in the key collar there is a pin that locks the steering
Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same thing happened to me on '93 earlier this year. I was stuck, and while I know its not recommended to do this, I had no other choice, save for an expensive tow. I shot it with silicone lubricant by inserting the small red attachment that comes with these cans into the key tumbler. I also removed the black rubber surround on the tumbler, and really lubricated the entire thing. It worked. When I got home, I ordered a new tumbler from a Rover junkyard, and it still sits in the back of the truck. I have yet to have another issue with the ignition. YMMV- and I never like to tell others what to do with their vehicles, just sharing what I did, and what worked for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts