RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help, currently when I turn by ignition to position II, I know longer get the beeps. Which causes my seatbelt light to stay on, it won't display the message sport mode when I shift to sport and I no longer can choose on board computer from my nav screen. The vehicle is a 2003 RR HSE.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Re: HELP! - Ignition issue or on board computer issue

I may be able to offer some helpful info if I could understand what your question is. :think: No offense, but If you could please take the time to assemble a coherent sentence & paragraph, I may have some idea.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: HELP! - Ignition issue or on board computer issue

Sorry I wrote this quick on my blackberry, what I meant to say was that currently when I turn by ignition to position II, the audible beeps that would chime during the self diagnostics no longer occur. With the absense of the beeps, the steering columns no longer moves forward, I can no longer access the on board computer menu item from the nav and all internal sensors seem to ignore the actions that trigger them...ie when sport mode is engaged it's not deisplayed on the message center, when the seatbelts are connected the seat belt light is one etc etc.The vehicle is a 2003 RR HSE.

Any help would be appreciated, since the closest dealer is 200 kms away.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Unplug the battery and leave it off for 5 minutes in the hopes of resetting it. Then double check all the connections in the left hand side of the boot, also check for water in there.

If you could add your location and details to your sig, HSE in the UK doesn't have satnav so I'm guessing you're not here.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
You can thank my IT training. 2 years in college and all I say all day is turn it off and on again! :lol:

Keep an eye on it though, and remember to wait 5 mins after closing the drivers door for the sat nav computer to close down propperly etc.

Dan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks like the fix worked for 1 drive to the mall and now it's happening again and a new problem arose where "air suspension inactive" is displayed in my message center. This time the self diagnostics are still working, but it doesn't seem to acknowledge that my key is inserted into the ignition, which causes the steering column to stay in it's original state.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
What's your mileage and do you know how old the battery is? A week battery can cause lots of odd messages to be displayed mainly because the various ECU's dont all power up at the same time and they get out of sync with each other.

Dan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the battery when the engine was not running and it read 12.65 volts and the battery is only a few months old. I tried to reset the ecu again by leaving the negative unhooked for 5 minutes, but now "suspension inactive" is permanently on the warning console and my defroster for my windshield and read window no longer illuminates when I press them : /. Looks like I have a $$$ bill coming up I think.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
If it's a healthy battery, it could be caused by a loose or dirty connection at one of the battery cables or somewhere in the harness. Mine had a loose negative terminal when it came from the shop. That gave it all kinds of problems until I found it & tightened it.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Did you turn the steering wheel to each stop after re-connecting your battery & starting it up? That has to be done to calibrate the steering limits. You'kll get the suspension inactive unless you do that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If your problem is anything like mine then you should also notice that your A/C doesnt work as well.
I found that after you start the engine either bang the steering wheel at around the 7 oclock or 3 oclock position until the column engages or use the column adjust control to move the wheel out a little. This also engages the systems (i then use my program seat button to put everything in the right place).

I believe the problem is with the ignition ECU that is located in the steering column. I'm hoping that the problem is just a loose connection but I've been too lazy to crack everything open to look

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Turns out there was two problems, my key was out of sync and the trucks computers were out of sync. Hopefully the issues don't come back again. Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts