RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, my 1987 has began to drop in revs or stall out completely after reaching red lights. As soon as I apply the brakes, the revs drop and then bounce up and down. Sometimes all the way down to stalling, which is a real pain. This only happens when going from high speeds (50 mph) down to a complete stop. Starts back up immediately and keeps running like there’s no problem. It also seems to occur at random, but I think I’ve noticed it happening more when running the engine for the first or second time that day.

The fuel pump, fuel filter, and idle plunger have all been recently replaced. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 1995. It would run fine until it was completely warmed up - maybe an hour or two. And then after that when stopped at a light (or worse in traffic) it would drop in revs and eventually stall. Like yours mine would start back up immediately, but would eventually stall again. Turns out it was the ignition amplifier module. Apparently the module is in an area where it gets too hot and eventually can go bad. Land rover even issued a relocation kit to move the module to a cooler area. I just had mine replaced with a new module and have not had a problem since. Here's a link to the relocation kit - https://www.roverparts.com/Instructions/STC1856.cfm not sure if these are still available, but I think aftermarket versions are.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
313 Posts
If it's fitted with the brake system that uses a servo (anti-lock equipped vehicles generally use a different pumped system) this could be a suspect too.

It uses manifold vacuum to create servo effect and if leaking it can compromise smooth running if brakes are used over longer time slot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts