Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello- My 2008 Range Rover Sport is idles fine at 1000 RPMs when I first start it. While in park I turn on the air conditioner and the RPMs fluctuate between 200 and 700 and it continues to fluctuate when I turn the air conditioner off. Just for some back ground, I have recently replaced the mass air flow sensor, the air filter, the battery, the spark plugs, and added a can of BG 44k. The car runs better now that it has in a long time except when idling in park or at stop signs. It recently died at a street light in the middle of the intersection. Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this? Thanks!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,259 Posts
Read the codes? Viewed any live data?
Why did you install all the other stuff?
What is BG44?

Sounds like you've been throwing money at it, but I don't know why as you never posted it

Martin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced the mass air flow sensor, the air filter, the spark plugs, added BG 44k (cleans fuel systems) because it would hesitate when I pressed the accelerator. It doesn't hesitate any more. It runs great accept when idling. When idling the RPMs have been fluctuating between 200 and 700 for some time. There are no fault codes being produced. I forgot to mention the engine has 91,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where/how to adjust idling RPMs

My 2008 Range Rover Sport 91k miles would hesitate when I pressed the accelerator so I replaced the mass air flow sensor, the air filter, the spark plugs, added BG 44k (cleans fuel systems). It does not hesitate anymore. However an ongoing problem seems to be worsened. When idling the RPMs have been fluctuating between 200 and 700 for some time, but now it occasionally dies at stop signs and street lights. No fault codes are produced. When I gently press the accelerator, to 900 RMPs when idling in park it doesn’t dip to a lower RPM. I would like to increase the idling RPMs from 700 to 900 RPMs. Does anyone know the where the adjustment is and the process for increasing the idling RPMs?

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Re: Where/how to adjust idling RPMs

You don't. Idle is completely ECU controlled based on sensor input. Sadly the use of additives miss the most important part that would likely address your issue... the intake. THe long and short is that you are going to remove your MAF and intake hose and expose the throttle plate. Being a 2008 you will most likely find the plate and surrounding intake caked with carbon build up. THat is what you will be cleaning with proper cleaner. THere are a couple of excellent write ups for intake cleaning adn recommendations for products.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
944 Posts

Throttle body needs cleaning. Land Rover says to replace throttle body and not clean it, but cleaning it worked like a charm on my 09 S/C.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
944 Posts

Right, and you still have at least a half a can left. Love it when good triumphs over evil for $2.50.. )))

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

When the throttle body gets this bad, there's a good chance of it being a symptom, not the problem. Might want to check operation of your PCV valve as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.