RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had my L322 about 6 weeks or so but I've already had a flat tire, imagine my shock when I couldn't remove one of the wheel nuts. It turned out that the wheel nuts have an outer stainless steel cladding and this had been damaged preventing the wheel brace from fitting. I've never seen this type of wheel nut before and can't believe Land Rover used them on the Range Rover. I was lucky, I managed to get to a Canadian Tire store and buy an over sized socket to remove the damaged nut. Since then I've replaced the street tires with a set of 5 Goodyear DuraTrac tires. Talking to the tire store manager he told me that my problem was a common one, that several other car brands use the same type nuts as well, that he often has problems with customers cars having distorted nuts. He said the problem is that water can get under the cladding and cause rust that in turn distorts the cladding. Not wanting to get stuck off road with a flat tire or damaged wheel that I could not replace I've replaced all my wheel nuts with new replacements that do not have cladding. I would suggest you do the same if you don't want to end up stuck with a flat that can't be replaced.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
LMAO! Hilarious post. :mrgreen:

The lug nuts are only an issue if some monkey uses an impact wrench to tighten them or is missing the proper size socket. Most folk never have an issue and never even figure out they are stronger steel nuts with a decorative SS cap. As a side note, LR used then in every market across every model for decades.

For anyone with loose or deformed caps out on the trail, they pop right off or can be peeled off with everyday needlenose pliers. Then use your standard lug wrench to gently remove the steel inner nut... if some tyre monkey has not used an impact wrench. Then again everyone should verify proper torque on their lug nuts and PSI after any tyre is removed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Man, those nuts drive me crazy. They are on my RR, Jaguar and Aston Martin. The ones on my RR are a bit deformed - a regular socket doesn't fit well so I ordered a set of "Gorilla" lug nuts. I had one stuck on the Aston. The idiots who inspected the car for insurance purposes used an impact. I had to use a nut extractor and ruined the finish on one rim. Many of the other nuts were in bad shape so I ordered another set of Gorilla lug nuts. I have no affiliation with Gorilla.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Toad, if you had a laugh at my post as least you got something from it. It was aimed more for the guys that drive their rovers off road or in adverse conditions.I don't think anyone wants to be stuck a mile down a muddy track on their hands and knees trying to remove the stainless steel cladding from a damaged wheel nut using a pair of needlenose pliers! I know I don't, I've just replaced mine with a full set plus a couple of spares of normal wheel nuts. If you only cruse the shopping mall carpark and can have a Tim's coffee while waiting for AA, AAA or in my case CAA to come to your rescue than stay with what you have. I don't want to get into a flame war so I'll NOT post again on this thread. Merry Christmas everybody.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Actually.. I’ve not any issue with the cladding in severe snow, salt, mud, silt, or really anything you’d come across. I’ll admit my Disco’s is a bit rough, but not anything I can’t easily get off with the OE bag of tools.

The only issue I’ve ever had with LR wheels is the hub getting seized to the wheel.. had to loosen the lugs almost all the way, and drive up the terrain by me, going down it broke loose but not enough to be dangerous and boom wheel is off.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Same trick I use. I dont know how many folks fail to rotate their tyres so the wheels are froze up to hubs. Back the nuts off, pull up the driveway and hit the brakes. Once in a long time it take the same banking into the shop. I had one rig in here a few months ago that had no rear brakes on the right side limited on the left. He used it to launch one of his boats in the salt water and had NEVER rinsed anything down... then the rig would sit for a few weeks. Had to replace carriers, calipers and of course new pads... but no issues with the lug nuts. :lol:

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have had my L322 for around 6 years now, and have had to replace a few of these **** chrome capped lug nuts.

Are you guys saying it's for sure caused by using an impact gun on them?

I don't have air tools personally so I use a breaker and a torque wrench.

My vehicle rarely saw an impact gun on the lug nuts.

That's 100% the cause??

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
The caps are stainless steel and pretty well sealed. Think about the design, toughness of over sizes lug nuts, no chance of chipping like chrome and completely wrapped. When properly torqued the base of the cap ledge is compressed within the wheel lug nut recess. There is no chance of moisture or chemicals to get into it.

Properly torqued they have no issues. Proper sized socket and they have no issues. When tyre shops or whomever whips them into place with an air gun, or if they are over torqued, the caps can be pinched at the forward sides of the flats and twist on the inner nut. Once that happens they are now loose and can only get worse. So the long and short is that unless they are over torqued or a wrong socket is used there is no reason for the caps to distort or come loose.

The only way corrosion can be an issue is if the cap is actually punctured, torn or cracked and moisture gets in.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
I dont know how many folks fail to rotate their tyres so the wheels are froze up to hubs.
Even with normal rotation, my wheels constantly get stuck on, I've even tried cleaning the hubs and applying antiseize to no avail. This happens the most to my Discos.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
I was seriously interested until I read $329, for which I will go to the salvage yard and pick up as many good OE ones I can for $10 haha!

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
165 Posts
Yes indeed Keralis, but no bragging rights, `)

·
Registered
631 Posts
$329 US for a full set of those seems pretty good no? I mean, VS the dealer price.

I'm sure I paid $15ea for replacements as I needed them.

And yeah, can't say I've met anyone with Titanium lug nuts before :)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts