Range Rovers Forum banner

Identify My Lift!!!!

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  rover4x4 
#1 ·
Hey All,
My RR is not sitting level, so I need to replace some/all springs. However I have a lift kit installed, but don't know how much lift is on. I also don't know what the normal ride height is. I'm hoping someone here can say 'yup, that's a 2 inch lift or something similar.

I notice the droop most on the drivers rear. This photo was taken with the top of the garage door pretty level, so you can see the sag:

[attachment=2:2affsuwp]Rear copy.jpg[/attachment:2affsuwp]

I measured from the center of the wheel to wheel arch, and the tyres are 235/75R16.
The measurements are as follows:

Drivers Front 18.75 inches
Drivers Rear 18.75 inches
Passenger Front 19.75 inches
Passenger Rear 20 inches

Here are the Drivers front, followed by the passenger rear just to give some indication:

Driver Front
[attachment=1:2affsuwp]Driver Front copy.jpg[/attachment:2affsuwp]

Passenger Rear
[attachment=0:2affsuwp]Passenger Rear copy.jpg[/attachment:2affsuwp]

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Mess.

Houston - we have a problem ! I've just measured my Rangie with Tri-spoke rims & standard issue 205/80R16 rubber at 32Psi all round and mine is 13.4"/340mm.

My Classic is running replacement "Kings springs" as replacements, bilstien shocks all round and Firestone airbags inside the rear coils at 20Psi if it matters dude.

Sounds like an overhaul of the entire suspension is overdue and give us an idea of where you're based global wise so we can pinpoint your suspect undercarriage ?

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

#5 ·
Mess.

Suspect undercarriage was my term used to identify from your location if the vehicle originally was purchased in Wisconsin or if the lift kit was sourced close by !
All '93 vintage Classics down-under were released standard with airbag suspension, so there's a possibility a previous owner installed an aftermarket lift kit dude.

When I purchased my Rangie in late 2005, the difference between when I bought the truck and after I improved the suspension to OEM spec.'s was night & day ?
One normally measures from the fender lip to the ground, thereby comparing "apples with apples" after discounting the different tyre sizes used to gauge any lift.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

#6 ·
vinniman said:
M
One normally measures from the fender lip to the ground, thereby comparing "apples with apples" after discounting the different tyre sizes used to gauge any lift.
From fender lip to ground would be different for different tire sizes. The way he measured, from fender lip to wheel, removes the tire size differences from the measurement.

Also, Mine is a 92 not a 93.

#7 ·
R2D2.

I understand, just that there are very rare examples of OEM Classics around these days running standard springs, standard wheels & standard tyres for checking ?

Sounds like "Mess" has a Terrafirma lift kit fitted to his ride, thereby worn examples of his suspension would correspond from my opinion to those measurements !

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.[attachment=1:380deyyt]Terafirm.jpg[/attachment:380deyyt][attachment=0:380deyyt]FirmTera.jpg[/attachment:380deyyt]

Attachments

#9 ·
Mess.

Here's an example in the attached pic of an OEM front spring with "King Springs" Heavy Duty pair opposite for comparisons sake, so just count the No. of pitches ?
As you can see actual overall height of the H.D. pair versus an original are the same, but when they're installed and compressed on the truck - OEM's will sit lower !

Your ride maybe fitted with Old Man Emu dampers as discussed, but the most important element is trying to track down the actual Classic springs you've installed.
Please also confirm if your Rangie has anti-roll bars or not, as the pre-'89 versions like mine did not have these and the springs with shock lengths were different.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.[attachment=0:1f7wy674]KingsHD2.jpg[/attachment:1f7wy674]

Attachments

#11 ·
vinniman said:
Mess.

Do the springs look like these in the attached image ? Happy to be of any help or PM off-line if you require advice on a suitable replacement suspension system !

Cheerio,
Yes, looks like the same thing. Here are some pictures, including one of an after-market anti sway bar on my '89 classic.

Anti-sway
[attachment=3:2b5k2xjn]anti sway bar2.jpg[/attachment:2b5k2xjn]

Driver Front:

[attachment=2:2b5k2xjn]front driver2.jpg[/attachment:2b5k2xjn]

Passenger Rear:

[attachment=1:2b5k2xjn]passenger rear2.jpg[/attachment:2b5k2xjn]

Driver Rear:

[attachment=0:2b5k2xjn]rear drivre shock2.jpg[/attachment:2b5k2xjn]

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.