RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I recently did a lower end rebuild on my 4.6. Even though many folsk said it was not needed I packed the new oil pump prior to starting her up. She ran great, pleanty of oil pressure and I was very happy. :thumb:

A great deal on new heads fell into my lap. For various reasons my rig sat for a few weeks in between pulling the old heads and instaling the new ones. I fired her up this morning and she runs great except I have no oil! Naturally I shut her right off. It is very apparent the oil pump lost it's prime sitting too long and the "self priming pump" is not as self priming as many folks believe. I really do not want to pull the front of the engine apart to repack the oil pump. :evil:

Who has a brilliant idea around this one? :think:

·
Registered
151 Posts
There was a good trick you could do with the earlier v8 that had a distributor and you used a drill and an old dizzy shaft to run the oil pump and it worked very well.
I have since come across this method which could be used on any version.
The bottom section is the one that could help you out
Priming the V8 oil pump
When there is air in the oil pump it will be compressed and the pump will not pump out oil and no oil pressure will be indicated. Don't run the engine when this happens! The pump has to be primed.
There are two ways to do it:

Packing the pump with Vaseline
Drain the oil and unscrew the oil filter
Unscrew the six bolts from the pump cover.
Fill the caveties between the gears with vaseline
Fit a new gasket and refit the bolts (torque down to 10-15 lb/ft)
Replace the pre-filled oil filter and top up the oil
Start the engine and check for oil pressure and leaks.
Pumping oil into the pump
*******Dit verhaal weg gebruik de boormachine*******Drain the oil and unscrew the oil filter
Take a small bottle with a pipe that connects to the top of the bottle
Fill the bottle with oil and stick the pipe into the threaded part of the pump that the oil filter screws into.
Squeeze the bottle and press oil into the pump.
After some time oil will come out of the other hole of the filter mounting.
Keep squeezing for 20 seconds
Replace the pre-filled oil filter and top up the oil
Start the engine and check for oil pressure and leaks.

·
Registered
229 Posts
There is a strong possibility that the pressure release valve is stuck open or there is an air leak on the suction side of the pump.I have rebuilt 16 "serpentine" engines and have never used any method to help the pump to prime. I get to short block stage, fill with oil and then turn the engine over with a socket bar on the front untill oil comes out of the oil feed to the valve gear. I also fill the filter befor fitting it.It's always worked for me.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paul, interesting idea with the oil filter, certainly worth a shot.

Nipper, What is frustrating is that I had excellent pressure prior to pulling the heads. During the rebuild I replaced the oil pump gears, pick up ORing as well as both valve ORings.

Keep the ideas coming!

·
Registered
128 Posts
rrtoadhall, how long did you run the engine for?

When my pump went south, I changed it like you. I had great oil pressure untill the engine was warm, then lost it.

Luck was on my side I think as it came back after a few revs of the engine. I did not know you shut it down Fast. :oops:

Sid.

·
Registered
229 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
Paul, interesting idea with the oil filter, certainly worth a shot.

Nipper, What is frustrating is that I had excellent pressure prior to pulling the heads. During the rebuild I replaced the oil pump gears, pick up ORing as well as both valve ORings.

Keep the ideas coming!

If you had an air leak that could have been overcome by the extra suction from the vasoline, the PRV could have stuck open afterwards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts