RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the forums.
So, my tiny Nissan 350z no longer fits my lifestyle. Its too small with room for only one other person and can't move in the snow. I have decided to go the SUV route and have been looking at Range Rovers. In my area I have found a VERY high mileage 2003 Range Rover, and want your thoughts and opinions. Its a 2003 Range Rover with 165,000 miles (yea, I know thats extremely high). Black with the grey interior, and in running condition. But the catch is that the guy only wants $9500 for it. What do you think? What maintenance and repairs will I have to make once I get the car, and will it be worth it? Anyone else out there with a high mileage RR that can share their experiences? Also general information about the car, do you like having it? what don't you like?

Thanks -Chris

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
350zChris said:
Hello, I'm new to the forums.
So, my tiny Nissan 350z no longer fits my lifestyle. Its too small with room for only one other person and can't move in the snow. I have decided to go the SUV route and have been looking at Range Rovers. In my area I have found a VERY high mileage 2003 Range Rover, and want your thoughts and opinions. Its a 2003 Range Rover with 165,000 miles (yea, I know thats extremely high). Black with the grey interior, and in running condition. But the catch is that the guy only wants $9500 for it. What do you think? What maintenance and repairs will I have to make once I get the car, and will it be worth it? Anyone else out there with a high mileage RR that can share their experiences? Also general information about the car, do you like having it? what don't you like?

Thanks -Chris
I would steer clear unless you have it checked top to bottom... Does it have service history, post it up and maybe someone will chime in. I'll tell you 40,000-100,000 miles all 4 bags will need replacement, cooling system should need work, it might need a compressor, etc etc etc etc... The parts aren't cheap and you'll need a land rover specific shop to pull codes and work on it unless you're capable yourself.

Post whatever info you can get on it, I'm sure someone will help ya out

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would steer well clear, unless you have a fair amount of cash to pay for endless repairs.

If you do have that amount of cash, spend it on a newer, post 2005 model.

I would not touch the model you mention with a bargepole.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Barring the above in mind, you have saved a few thousand off the list price, you would be wise to put some money aside. With that being said personally I would bite his had off for that price, depending on the spec and overall condition of it.

The BMW engine is a very strong engine and can clock up 250,000 miles without breaking a sweat as long as the oil is changed frequently. The gearbox oil has "probably" not been changed and that would be my initial worry as it's one of the things that you cannot tell the condition of visually.

The air suspension (with the exception of the pump) is more age critical rather than mileage, where as the pump is runtime critical so that may have to be or has already been replaced. Other suspension components, bushes etc will have failed by now I would have thought and should have already been replaced, but bare in mind they could be due to fail for a second time by now.

I have 120K on the clock and have replaced steering ball joints, the water pump, and some of the PCV system (rubber hoses for oil vapour) Total repairs for 2 years of running are under £500, with maintenance running to about 250 per year average so far. One of the first things I did was get the gearbox oil changed - you would be wise to get this done, and inspect the fluid for signs of imminent failure and if so get it valeted and sell it on.

If you're mechanically minded then you'll be fine, it's just a car. If you have to take it to the dealer every 5 minutes then prepare to shell out for their "expertise".

You can run a Range Rover on a shoe string - but it's hard work. Trust me!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are you talking about this one????

2003 Range Rover HSE - Needs Work- Cheap - $9500 (Severna Park)

Date: 2010-02-02, 5:29PM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

2003 Range Rover HSE.
The truck is in great condition was garaged and detailed monthly.
Truck has a crack in the lower oil pan.
I will sell the truck now for 9500.00 cash ( title in hand)
Or 14000.00 this Friday with the pan fixed
Interior is in great shape
Edge of front passenger wheel well dented
Kelly blue book value 16225.00
In a Recent inspection Needs tires and O SENSOR
Black Exterior
Charcoal grey interior
I will be home all day Wednesday and Thursday to show the car
443 618 0504

·
Registered
159 Posts
getting yourself into an '03 for cheap is no bargain for sure. these cars are notorious for being maintenence heavy (and expensive maintenence at that).... if the guy has a good service history and is the original owner, that's a good sign. i dunno though.... you may be asking for trouble. we have a saying over at the classic corvette forum: "buy the one that's in as best shape as you can afford", meaning you'll NEVER end up on top if you buy a tlc one and do all the fixing up yourself. i think that the same goes for range rovers. if you can possiby afford a newer one ('06 and up) under warranty, you'll be thankfull. :thumb:

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
211 Posts
I bought my 04 with 120k miles at an unbelievable price. It was throwing a transmission code and some "import" shop told him he needed a transmission. I knew nothing about Rovers but I drove it and everything seemed fine. I rolled the dice and bought it. It was a $600 fix(at the right place). So go see it and see how you feel about it. I cant guarantee you'd be as lucky though. Good luck anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ZambeziHSE03 said:
Are you talking about this one????

2003 Range Rover HSE - Needs Work- Cheap - $9500 (Severna Park)

Date: 2010-02-02, 5:29PM EST

2003 Range Rover HSE.
The truck is in great condition was garaged and detailed monthly.
Truck has a crack in the lower oil pan.
I will sell the truck now for 9500.00 cash ( title in hand)
Or 14000.00 this Friday with the pan fixed
Interior is in great shape
Edge of front passenger wheel well dented
Kelly blue book value 16225.00
In a Recent inspection Needs tires and O SENSOR
Black Exterior
Charcoal grey interior
I will be home all day Wednesday and Thursday to show the car
443 618 0504
I wasn't talking about this one, this on seems like more of a project, the one I am talking about is this one:

2003 Range Rover _ MUST SELL - $10000 (Hicksville)

Date: 2010-02-01, 2:27PM EST

MUST SELL TODAY, will take best offer. 165k miles, great running condition.
the check engine light is on due to an oxygen sensor, will still pass inspection and runs fine. a cooling fan for the monitor squeaks sometimes, works fine, just an annoying noise sometimes. i recently had it serviced at land rover and it is in perfect working condition. small dent on the back which is included in the pic.interior is in good condition.

(P.S. Thank You everyone for your input, I appreciate it. Maybe I will hold out for a lower mileage Range Rover, but I am going to go check this one out as well)

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
The faults mentioned there are normal RR issues that WILL occur at some time even on a pristine example. The CEL will more than likely be the PCV system and the fan noise is well documented on here.

Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts