RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 2007 range rover sport but unfortunately it does not have satnav, just a gap where it should be! I know, I probably should have just bought one with satnav but I wanted one with low mileage and I was on a budget!

I have seen second hand rangey sport satnavs for sale on ebay. Has anybody fitted one of these before, if so how dificult is the wiring?

Thanks, Kristian

·
Registered
Range Rover Sport SE 2007
1 Posts
Hello!! I have the same question of kj2, RRS SE '07 without Satnav.
Is it possible to install the original Satnav?
For navigation i have my phone, so if it's not necessary i will not install the gps antenna... the real reason i'd like to install the satnav is the 4x4 information menu and maybe installing a rear camera.
Also before disassembling the dashboard to check if the cables of the satnav were even installed, do you know if they are? (to clarify: i don't want you to disassemble the dashboard on your cars for my question, just asking if you know or if you already did it :)) It would be a big score if they were already there :D

Big Thanks!!

Francesco

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
535 Posts
I have nav in my 2013, ask me when was a last time I used it and how many times did I use in 3 year of ownership...
Probably 2-3 times.
My samsung galaxy has everything with traffic alerts what regular navigation will not have.
Un my opinion, find a nice bracket/holder for Ipad or samsung note/tab. Navigation in that will be significantly better, more advanced and cable then any LR one pre 2014.
And you can get diagnostic tool, sync OBD plug in via bluetooth and soo whole bunch of data real time as well.
The only time built in navigation was actually helpfull is when I was in the mountains, in the middle of nowhere, no cell service, so cellphone navi was completly useless, but standard one worked, but again - thats like once/twice in last 5 years I was in that situation. Would I cry if there would be no navigation in my RRS? Absolutely not.

·
Registered
2006 Range Rover Sport 2016 Mercedes S550 4MATIC
122 Posts
The other cases car Nav system perform better are: Phone-based navigation doesn't work near bridges such as George Washington Bridge. Or, if you come out of a tunnel, it's totally disoriented.

But agree, car Nav is a kind of niche product now.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
893 Posts
I just put a Garmin in my car - works great.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
535 Posts
IDK eqz212, since coronavirus thing, I am driving from NJ to Queens and between GWB, Warrazano, Geothlas bridge, Kostushko etc, I cant say that cell phone nav is not working. I mean, yeah, it has its moments sometimes, yeah, tunnel could be an issue but you're not going to get lost in the tonnel, where really are you going to go except other end of it? :)
I agree- it is not perfect but I would not dig trough the car, especially to install an original navi (I assume thats what OP wants) that was designed pre2006 - before RRS went on sale, this would be a system designed 15 or so years ago! 15 years ago cell phone was size of a brick! Not really but I am sure you understand what I am trying to say...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts