RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm new to this forum and have a few questions (go figure). I'm looking at purchasing a used RRS with CPO, I have nothing picked out yet and not in a rush.

Nonetheless, I was thinking of a 2016 or newer due to having some time left on the 4/50k mile warranty. I'm into technology and was reading that the 2016 infotainment isn't that good, is that true? To my understanding the 2017's got newer entertainment systems, should I steer more towards a 2017 vs 2016?

I'm not going to hassle about reliability, I understand that they may not be the best, but neither is Mercedes or BMW which is where I'm coming from. However, are maintenance costs similar to the German brands? I just don't want to see my annual maintenance bill triple (or double).

Also, I test drove both a V8 / V6, obviously the V8 is more fun, the sound is intoxicating, does the V8 cost more to maintain? Does it 'breakdown' more often. I know the BMW V8 eats oil and is generally unreliable.

Any input is beneficial!!!!

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
298 Posts
I had a 2016 V8 Dynamic. I loved it!

16 did have older infotainment. It wasn’t all that great.
17 was upgraded to incontrol touch pro. (From what I recall)
I never really care that much about the infotainment because I just ended up using my phone for everything. Even now with pro duo setup. I still think the phone is still better, but it’s really closed the gap. In fact, I felt the 2016 operated more seamlessly than the 2018. The pro duo system has a lot of glitches. Most are fixed after the updates though.
If you’re into using your car infotainment. I feel like the 2017 is the safer bet.

Maintenance cost is something that I’m not all that thrilled about. Had an Audi and BMW and you can pre-purchase maintenance. The first service is free, but here in Canada after the first annual service, the second is like $800. Just something to think about.
Saving grace, my dealer is really great with service, booking appointments, etc and always has a loaner for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
In the US, they did away with the first free service.
If you get a '17, chances are it's CarPlay/AndroidAuto compatible.
I've never had problems with my V8-s. Only oil changes, twice as often as the factory recommendation (every 7-8000 miles).
Maintenance - depends on what you can do yourself, whether you prefer an authorized dealer or an indy shop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, good to hear about the V8's & New infotainment. I'd like to start doing maintenance myself, but we'll see. I'm in SE Wisconsin and there isn't many LR 3rd party shops, from my quick search I did. Looks like I'll be going to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Got it, so for expectations: I just had a scheduled service for the Sport (at 40k miles) & with a couple of brake pads, oil change, filters, fluids, labor, software updates (labor) it was $500. I get my car serviced at the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Went through the same analysis. Came away with a 2017 for three reasons: (1) I wanted CarPlay (2) since the infotainment system on the 2017 is the same as the new disco, I suspect it will have a longer shelf life for updates, and (3) I wanted remote start, which is not available other than after-market on the 2016.

Got a V8 Dynamic. Love it. No issues 2 months and 3k miles in...

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,159 Posts
I'd look for a 2017 if you are debating between the 16/17. I love my 2016 but the infotainment really is lacking. I didn't mind it so much in 2015 but now it's the part of the vehicle I like the least by far.

V8 and the 1700W stereo are amazing though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I got rid of my 2016 V6 because of how terrible the infotainment was. I have a 2017 V8 now and am much happier although not every 2017 can be upgraded to support CarPlay (mine is sadly one of them).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only negative I can find from 2016 to 2017 is the price, especially a V8. The exhaust of the V8 is just intoxicating though.

Is there any options that are a "must" when looking at a 2017? I know I have to ensure it has blind spot monitoring and the 825W stereo (at least)

·
Registered
177 Posts
The only negative I can find from 2016 to 2017 is the price, especially a V8. The exhaust of the V8 is just intoxicating though.

Is there any options that are a "must" when looking at a 2017? I know I have to ensure it has blind spot monitoring and the 825W stereo (at least)
Upgraded sound system, cooled/heated seats (amazing), panoramic roof (makes the cabin feel bigger), low range / offroad package if you're into that thing, and the radar assisted cruise control are my favorite features.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for answering all of my questions,

How does the 2017 interact with an iPhone? X or later? Can I plug it into the USB and charge it & play music? Bluetooth is always convenient, but compresses the music, and with the amazing audio in the car I want to fully utilize it!

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
298 Posts
If you’re leaning towards 17. Try to make sure you get one that has the ability to get apple car play.

I think you need to have I control touch pro? But I don’t know. I don’t even know if it’s an option? Hope someone else can chime in?

On 16 and 17 (without CarPlay), you can plug in and interface as if it was an iPod, or USB. You bring up a good point, the sound was so much fuller when plugged in. It doesn’t sound as bad as sat radio, but the sound is flat when streaming over BT.
The only thing I didn’t love was if you’re playing your phone music and running Waze or GPS, the phone barely charges on the USB cord.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you’re leaning towards 17. Try to make sure you get one that has the ability to get apple car play.

I think you need to have I control touch pro? But I don’t know. I don’t even know if it’s an option? Hope someone else can chime in?

On 16 and 17 (without CarPlay), you can plug in and interface as if it was an iPod, or USB. You bring up a good point, the sound was so much fuller when plugged in. It doesn’t sound as bad as sat radio, but the sound is flat when streaming over BT.
The only thing I didn’t love was if you’re playing your phone music and running Waze or GPS, the phone barely charges on the USB cord.

My 17 was eligible for the 18C update, but not CarPlay. You'll need to get the latest build of '17 you can if you want CarPlay -- my SA said he doesn't know what the build date cutoff is, but rather his tool simply tells him if a VIN supports CarPlay or not.

·
Registered
2015 Range Rover Sport HSE, 2004 Porsche Carerra 4S
77 Posts
I have a 2015 V6 (basically same as the 2016) with with a VAP tune and I love it. It is by no means fuel efficient but getting mid 20s MPG on a road trip is pretty nice; when off road you can stretch the range a bit. With the VAP tune the V6 is plenty quick and you can give most cars a run for their money but even stock its not slow and you can pass people/merge easily. The V8 is a blast and sounds amazing, however, its consumption is a bit ridiculous and a stock BMW 335i will hang with you even in a straight line - you'll be faster through the 1/4 mile but..... its an SUV not a 911 turbo.

I've had it for a few years now - zero engine issues. (I change oil every 5k and air filters every 10k). The V6 (AJ126) is the same as the V8 (AJ133) minus two cylinders - they actually share almost all the same parts/hoses/belts save for the internals. Maintenance should be same/similar except for spark plug/fuel injector changes. Maintenance on the 4x4 system will be greater on the standard V8 or V6 HST due to the twin-speed transfer case, active rear diff, adaptive damping and dynamic response system. The HSE V6 can get the twin-speed transfer case and adaptive damping system if equipped with extra duty package but not the active diff/dynamic response. Costs are similar to higher end BMW.

As for the infotainment, 2014-2016 is lame. That being said, I would think about how often you actually engage with a car's infotainment system beyond initial stage of ownership. After initially thinking it would be great,I found, on other cars, apple car play is cumbersome and interferes with my phone too much. Bluetooth and using the phone to make selections is always easiest, I bet most folks with 2019's still just connect via bluetooth and leave the phone in their purse/pocket. Charging is faster with a cigarette USB adapter vs in car charging ports. As for the NAV, it works fine for the times I use it, which is rare.

MUST HAVE THE 825W MERIDIAN SOUND SYSTEM! :) I think this is the biggest deal breaker on these cars. If you go with a HSE try to find one with extra duty package, low range is great if you plan to take it on any steep/snowy/muddy trails. Even if you don't use the low range the adaptive damping rides nicer on road and Auto Terrain Response mode actually works.

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover Sport SCV8 ATB (L494)
181 Posts
Upgraded sound system, cooled/heated seats (amazing), panoramic roof (makes the cabin feel bigger), low range / offroad package if you're into that thing, and the radar assisted cruise control are my favorite features.
Those are all on my list - ACC and heads-up display are a requirement for me at this point. It's been tough to find ACC on a 2016 or 2017 RRS as it seems it was a standalone option and not part of a package. I see it more on 2018 and 2019 RRS vehicles as part of the Drive Pro package.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Many people nut the Range Rover because o the brand name. If you want a serious 4WD that can pass as a reasonable car then the RRS is had to pass. If you remember the design is about 4WD and not about a high performance car you will not be dissapointed. 3016 the model got some bugs ironed out. For ICE go for 825 sound, it is the best system I have had in a vehicle. As stated a good phone replaces most other options.

Try this quick quizz:

What bran of shocks do RR have?
What brand of brakes?
What type of Leather?
What is the body made from?

You will soon find the car is about quality mechanical bits.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I purchased a low mileage used 2016 RRS V6 in January and couldn't be happier. My only regret is the base sound system was horrendous. I ended up spending 5k in an aftermarket set up. With that said, the reason I was so drawn to this particular truck was because of it's upgraded 22" wheels and tire set up. At first I was also really disappointed with the infotainment system. It's pretty ugly and the UI is archaic.

But as someone already mentioned, I only messed with it the first week of ownership as I pretty much use my phone for everything, as I did in my previous Jeep Rubicon (music, maps & calls basically). And a simple "hey Siri, get directions to so and so" "Hey Siri call so and so" etc etc has been really useful and integrates perfect with the bluetooth. Every time I start the truck, my phone is automatically connected and starts to play the last song that was playing on Spotify.

I thought my Jeep turned a lot of heads but this RR really does get a lot of attention, something that makes me uncomfortable so I might have to tint the front windows lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very interesting last couple posts, I remember test driving an evoque a couple years back and it had the Meridian System (upgraded). It was bliss. I've listened to B&O's in Audi's to HK's in Mercedes & BMW, Bose in Porsche. Meridian was just better, period. Thats not the only reason I want the vehicle though.

Living in Wisconsin, I want something capable in these winters (coming from a BMW 3 series), especially if I end up staying in this state. The BMW X5 50i was another thought I had, however with the recent body design change, I don't want to purchase a new one; or buy a used one with the 'old' body style; Same thing with the Cayenne. The GLE, I'm not sure, just doesn't seem appealing to me. On the domestic front, Jeep Grand Chorokee SRT? But the seats I thought were uncomfortable (for me) same with the F-Pace.

I honestly didn't think of the attention that it would grab, I have to keep that in mind. Absolutely I will be getting my windows tinted though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts